This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customer Held Up Express Line

Yesterday, a customer had a coupon for turkey which was a certain amount off a pound. The customer got into the express line that I opened up since express was getting long. I rang up the turkey and took off the difference as a store coupon. The customer didn't think I was ringing up the right amount.

I told the customer that they could fix it at the service desk and she told me that she didn't want to go to another line. I told the customer that we couldn't hold up the express line and she still wanted her turkey rung up correctly. I voided the order using an override, brought the chicken into the office, and figured it out on the calculator. I went back over to the customer and rang up the turkey using raincheck mode and she paid for her turkey along with a few packages of cookie type crackers which are found in our kosher section.

I apologized to the customers for the wait and the next customer in line told me it wasn't my fault. Eventually, one of the checkers came in for me and I went back up to the service desk where I was scheduled.
    My Fanfic Page
    My Fiction Page
    My Social Group
    My Pet Social Group
    My You Tube Channel

Sooooooo.......had you rung it in correctly the first time?
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
      Sooooooo.......had you rung it in correctly the first time?
      My question too.

If it was rung up wrong, the customer's sort of right to be pissed at having to stand in line again to have the mistake fixed.

And if it was rung up right, you should have been more forceful in telling customer that.

Then if he still wants to make an issue of it, let him stand in customer service line.

Comment

It turned out that it wasn't rung up correctly like I thought it was. I found that out when I figured out the price using the calculator in the office.

If this happened to me, I would go to customer service and get the problem fixed there. I wouldn't tie up the express lane and hold up everyone else in the line.
        My Fanfic Page
        My Fiction Page
        My Social Group
        My Pet Social Group
        My You Tube Channel

Comment

Well, I don't know about that...you may do so because you are on the "other side" and know what a PITA that could be...but think of how much of a PITA it is for someone who beat the lines with the express lane, had the item ring up wrong, and was told to go and wait in a line - I might be a little put off.
          "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Yeah, I'd be pretty pissed off if the cashier made a mistake and I had to queue up AGAIN to get it fixed, especially if the cashier could fix it themselves. She doesn't sound sucky at all. Although, I wouldn't have wandered off to the office and held up the line..I'd have got a supervisor over to sort it. Or uh, just worked it out on paper.

Comment

There are some things that can be done at the service desk that are not supposed to be done in the regular registers. Getting the correct price for the turkey is one of them since the price on there is the normal price and the customer had a coupon.

That's why I had to go into the office to figure the correct price. I could've sent her to the kosher meat department to get it weighed at the reduced price but that would've taken longer.

Also, I wasn't scheduled to run a register that day. I just opened up since the express line was getting a little long.
              My Fanfic Page
              My Fiction Page
              My Social Group
              My Pet Social Group
              My You Tube Channel

Comment

Would have been funny if the 'correct' price was more than what you'd originally asked for. What would the customer had done then? "I don't want to pay more!" Waaahhhhhhhh.

Comment

I'm kinda on Purplecat's side of this one too. At our store mistakes could only be fixed at the Service Desk or Returns. Yes, it is frustrating when the cashier makes a mistake but, if the only way to fix it is to go to another desk then the only way to fix it is to go to another desk.

I once had a customer who was in a real hurry and kept on my case about it. Because of her interference, I made a mistake in ringing up her purchase. (It didn't help that she was moving stuff around on the counter the whole time either.) I apologized profusely and told her that I was unable to correct the problem and she would have to go to Returns. She threw a fit, so I called Returns to see what their line was like. They didn't have one. Suddenly, this lady who was in a so-called hurry had 15 minutes to argue, complain, whine, and generally bitch about the situation rather than just go to Returns and get the problem fixed. And she held up my line.
                  My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

Comment

I had this happen to me the other day. I was shopping (5pm, one of the busier times of the day), and picked up a small onion (cause I make a mean shepherd's pie ), a little 1/2 pound booger, at 2.99 a pound. Ever get the one that doesn't have the little sticker with the code on it? I did. Was an accident!

So, the cashier rang it up as a red bell pepper, which just happens to be 4.99 a pound. I thought about saying something about it, but there were 3 people behind me, so I just quietly went about my business. After cashing out, I went over to the (empty) service desk, and explained the problem to the csm. He went ahead and gave me the money back I was charged, and gave me the onion for free! Happy ending, cause who doesn't like free onions?

Comment

Working...
                    X