This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
    Ah, the joys of being in a border town and dealing with SCs who don't understand when they're in another country
    It's not just border towns that get that. We're in sou Cali, about 100 miles from the Mexico border, but we sell on the internet. I can't tell you how many people who sell online (eBay in particular) that have stopped selling to Canada from the US because of the whole "you're in another country, so it's international shipping fees plus whatever customs your country charges" thing.

I do feel for you border people (both sides), though. You get to deal with this idiocy in person, and so much more often.
    Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
    SC: So, are we in Canada?
    Me: No, not yet.
    SC: Oh, I thought we were.
    Me: Nope, you still have about 25 miles to go.
    SC: But...this used to be Canada, right? Did they move the border or something?
    Me:
    >.< that... made my brain hurt ...

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

My fiance and I went in over the Ambassador Bridge to Windsor last summer, when we were visiting my family in Detroit. We actually went and got our passports just for the trip.... The first place we stopped was for currency exchange, but my fiance liked the look of the money so much that when we stopped for gas, he asked to pay with American currency and keep a few Canadian bills. ^_^;

The gas station was very friendly about it (everybody we met was very friendly, especially compared to the American border guards on our way back who are a whole 'nother story.) but said they'd have to give change back in Canadian... which was no problem since my fiance liked the look of the coins so much. We don't get much of that down here in Texas, and since he's native to the Austin area....

Comment

Ah, but what if you worked in a shop that has dual pricing? (for ease of transport etc- one tag for all countries) Euro and sterling. We've phased it out but every other shop still has it, and some have pricetags listing the prices for every country in Europe. Because the tag has the sterling price, they must be able to pay in sterling, right? It is NOT legal tender here, this is NOT the UK, put the sterling away! Some very large one-off stores will take and a few chain department stores. Not at the price listed, but at their own exchange rate that they calculate instore. We however are a chain department store that is EVERYWHERE, so it's not the best of policies to have. Anyway, people go mad over it. I am pretty far from the border with Northern Ireland anyway, not very far in American terms but it's a good 2 hour drive which is a lot for here.

The reason why they wanted to pay in sterling is because over a year ago the rate was £1-€1.5- ie we were getting ripped off. However, several shops have kept at this rate instead of what it should be, roughly £1-€1.1.

Comment

Quoth jjllbb View Post
          It is SO disrespectful to try to use currency from your native country when you're traveling.
          In most countries, I would say that yes it is rude. Not in all of them. Some shops want the dollars.

I find this particularly to be the case in Mexico. I was on vacation in Mexico this past summer and 90% of the stores had US$$ prices - even the people selling woven bracelets on the street! I had actually changed most of my money to pesos so it was a bigger hassle for them to pull out the calculator and convert their dollar prices to pesos!

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
            Funny anecdote: I have a friend who is a historian, and she got angry with me once because I joked that Minot AFB was the last best hope against Canada invading the US. Apparently some people hold a grudge a looooong time. They will never forget that Canada once tried to invade us back in 1812 or something. Like they're just camping up there, biding their time, waiting for us to be lulled into complacency before they strike again.
            Sounds like Les Nesman.

Of course, we also haven't forgotten about Pancho Villa down here.

Quoth Ashaela View Post
            The gas station was very friendly about it (everybody we met was very friendly, especially compared to the American border guards on our way back who are a whole 'nother story.)
            You know, I've heard a lot of people say this, but I have to say, I've never had a problem with them! Every time I come back up from Las Cruces, I have to go through a Border Patrol check-point and those guys are always nice. My parents have never had a problem either. Together we go through there probably at least a dozen times a year.

Quoth StarsAreFixed View Post
            It is NOT legal tender here, this is NOT the UK, put the sterling away! Some very large one-off stores will take and a few chain department stores.
            Oh, man, I remember when we got back from our trip 3 years ago. We had some currency from Northern Ireland and were having a hell of a time at a bank here. We could not get them to understand that Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland were two separate countries. My parents finally just decided to go down to the airport in El Paso and get it changed.

We didn't get it changed at Albuquerque International Sunport. Because there is not place to get money changed there.
            It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

I remember when my family would travel from BC to Seattle to visit my aunt, and the border guards would ask "What is the nature of your visit to the US?" "Visiting" "Have a nice trip." That was it.

*snerk*

It was a slightly different story in the 90's, when my brother became a teenager, went colorblind, and has a certain ethnicity implicit in his appearance. Imagine, if you will, a random car waiting to cross the border on a busy weekend. Two fairly ordinary guys in the front seats, my brother in the back. My 6'2", deeply tanned and black of hair brother, wearing expensive sunglasses (he had a job at that point, thank something), his hair slicked back with gel, a turquoise silk suit worthy of a NY pimp over a shirt with more colors than the Skittles production line. Talking on a cellphone which wasn't really that common yet.

Yeah, he didn't get to go shopping that weekend. They refused to let him cross because they thought he was a drug-dealer. Maybe even Colombian. I have never let him forget it.
              What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth aqutalion View Post
                I can almost understand the confusion on this. I flew up to Seattle last month, and the lady sitting next to me was taking a train from there to Vancouver. According to her, you only needed a passport if you were flying. If you were traveling on the surface (boat, car, train), you only needed an extended driver's license (or something. I forget exactly what she called it). This was why she was taking a train instead of another flight, since she hadn't had time to get a passport. That was a surprise to me, since I'd always figured you needed a passport if you were going into a foreign country, regardless of how you were getting there.
                Still, if he didn't have the presence of mind to bring a passport, he probably didn't have an extended driver's license, either. Which raises the question, how did he get there in the first place?
                Enhanced LIcence = Land crossings, Passport = Air
                EDL App = Go to MTO with birth certificate, they mail EDL
                Passport Application = 2 references, guarantor, work history, educational history
                Otaku

Comment

I used to work in a town called Guelph, well north of the U.S. border. Despite this, the store I worked at, as well as some other outlets, did accept U.S. currency.

Border places such as Niagara Falls tend to pretty much take both all the time. What I miss is being able to go to the local bank and get foreign currency. It was easy to get U.S. currency when I was in Canada, but trying to find Canadian currency here in the deep south is next to impossible.
                  "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
                    ...but trying to find Canadian currency here in the deep south is next to impossible.
                    They're looking for money with ferns on it... 'Cause its fern money.
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth infinitemonkies View Post
                      That said, I'm certain there are probably hundreds, if not thousands of people who try to cross the border every day without passports who claim ignorance of the requirements.
                      Actually, I crossed into the U.S. yesterday without a passport (had it in my pocket, but presented other ID that they accepted) - there are alternate forms of identification specifically for frequent and/or business travellers, the one I used is known as a FAST card (pretty much no Canadian trucking company that does cross-border work will hire you if you don't have one).

Yes sirree, you require a passport to cross into Canada now, whether by land, sea, or air.
                      EvilEmpryss, it's my understanding that you don't need a passport to cross from the U.S. into Canada - but as a courtesy to travellers, Canadian customs and immigration will turn back anyone without the documentation they'd need to get back into the U.S. (since the Canadian guards can let the U.S. guards know that a "turn-back" just came out of the U.S., as opposed to someone who has spent some time in Canada and now can't get back home).
                      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

The law changed on June 1st. I spent the last 6 months living 20 miles (Babb, MT) from a Canadian border crossing (Chief Mountain Junction, MT). You need a passport now regardless.

Comment

Quoth aqutalion View Post
                          I can almost understand the confusion on this. I flew up to Seattle last month, and the lady sitting next to me was taking a train from there to Vancouver. According to her, you only needed a passport if you were flying. If you were traveling on the surface (boat, car, train), you only needed an extended driver's license (or something. I forget exactly what she called it). This was why she was taking a train instead of another flight, since she hadn't had time to get a passport. That was a surprise to me, since I'd always figured you needed a passport if you were going into a foreign country, regardless of how you were getting there.
                          I've been from Austria to Germany via the Czech Republic by train with no border control or passport check. If I'd been flying, I would have gone through immigration about four times, but not on the train. Of course, I had my passport WITH me, I was just never asked for it.
                          Last edited by Zombi; 10-28-2009, 10:00 AM. Reason: fixing borked HTML
                          God made me a cannibal to fix problems like you. - Angelspit, '100%'

I'm sorry, I'm not authorised to give a f**k.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                            EvilEmpryss, it's my understanding that you don't need a passport to cross from the U.S. into Canada - but as a courtesy to travellers, Canadian customs and immigration will turn back anyone without the documentation they'd need to get back into the U.S. (since the Canadian guards can let the U.S. guards know that a "turn-back" just came out of the U.S., as opposed to someone who has spent some time in Canada and now can't get back home).
                            You're right, Canada doesn't care if US citizens come into their country, but according to Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html): ALL PERSONS traveling by land and sea outside of the United States are required to present a passport book/card, or other valid travel documents to enter or re-enter the United States.

Frankly, considering the horror stories I've heard about some Americans getting back into the country, the Canadian border guards are really doing them a favor if they turn them back without passports.
                            Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Supposedly for a while if you 'forgot' your passport or don't have one, the US Customs agents were supposed to give you a reminder note and still let things go through. If that is still active now, I don't know.

I grew up in a border town (in fact, Houlton, ME was slightly closer to my house than Woodstock, NB), and most places on both sides would take the other currency and even give change back in the local currency. The Wal*Mart and grocery stores in Houlton would even take Canadian checks, before they became rarer than hen's teeth.

I remember going over to Houlton for years, and the questions, as someone else said, amounted to "Where do you live?" "Right here at Richmond Corner." "Where are you going?" "To get some gas and milk." "Have a good day." Now it's more questions, an intentful stare, a minute or two checking the passports and so forth.

Meanwhile, coming back into Canada, it's "Where do you live?"... "How long you been gone?" ... " Anything to declare?".... "Have a good day." *cheerful wave*

Heck, just a few weeks ago, we spent Thanksgiving Weekend down in Portland area, and on the way back we went through teh trucker's lane (since we had the 5th wheel trailer), and the customs agent recognized us, and didn't even leave his hut from the passenger lane to ask the questions. (The trucker's lane doesn't have a hut, it's just a concrete staircase they can send someone over to go up to talk to the Truckers at eye level as needed) He just shouted them over the passenger lane, we chatted really briefly and friendly, and were waved right on through.

Comment

Last year Hubby and I went to visit relatives in Calgary with our 2 year old. Passport requirements were birth certificates, liscence or state id for adults, and proof of address. Kiddo had to have his own passport, which was fun to get him to sit still for the picture let me tell you...

Hard part was seriously getting the photo. While most photo shops say they do them, I find out that not everyone can do them PROPERLY. I went to 2 different spots and both sold me pics that couldn't be used for various reasons. Having never gotten passports I didn't know. 2 weeks of this with a 2 year old and the lady at the post office finally told me the best place in town for it and gave me a sheet containing all the points for a proper passport pic.

I was still annoyed over having to go get refunds on those 2 other tries. Both tried to tell me the pics were fine and no I couldn't have a refund. Went back with that sheet and suddenly they were very apologetic and gave me the refunds. I wouldn't have raised a fuss normally but I do not like getting robbed thanks.
                                "It's not what your doing so much as the idiotic way your doing it." Vincent Valentine from Final Fantasy 7.

Comment

Working...
                                X