This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the iq in massechussets

if you have read any of my other posts i work in a call center that deals with calls from an cable company of which i cannot say the name of. i get about 30 calls per day and average a max of 10 min per call. and i usually get most of my crazy calls from Massachusetts.

sc- idiot customer
    me- hard working agent lol

me- thank you for calling tech support how can i help you

sc- i have a problem with my router i cant get my husbands computer on with out kicking mine off and back and fourth.

me- is your router from the cable company (almost always a yes!)

sc- yes it is cant you see it on the account

me- no i dont see that it is on the account and i cant help you with a 3rd party device

sc- ok but you are my cable company you provide the internet so you need to help me

me- i can help you with our equipment but i cant help you with your router

sc- well explain to me why your modem cant get mine or my husbands computer online at the same time

me- our modems are only specific for one computer or device at a time you must be referring to your router

sc- no im not im talking about your modem the netgear

me- according to the account i see you should have a motorola modem

sc- just tell me how to get both are computers working with your modem than

me- im sorry thats not possible

sc- so your telling me that your modem only provides internet to one computer and you cant help us with your router. this is ludacris and so stupid

me- i can help you with our modem but not YOUR router.

sc- you know what never mind this cable company is for da birds im gonna rip out all your services and hand them back to your office in pieces cause it has cost us so much time and money since i work from home.

me- im sorry to hear that.

sc-f*** you, you dont care, you get paid to make our lives worse and im not contributing to that anymore. i hope your boss is listening cause YOUR COMPANY IS THE DEVIL!!!!! *click*

another job well done the call only lasted 15 min of proving the sucky customer wrong.
    CONVERGYS/COMCAST'S FINEST OVER THE PHONE SLAVE "TAKING CRAP FROM EACH CUSTOMER WITH HALF OF WHAT THE REAL EMPLOYEE FROM COMCAST GETS PAID AND A SMILE AND AN APOLOGY!

UHm far as I know you have to pay for more bandwith if you want to put multiple computers on a modem and if you set up a router to split it isn't that like stealing?

Comment

Quoth jackfaire View Post
      UHm far as I know you have to pay for more bandwith if you want to put multiple computers on a modem and if you set up a router to split it isn't that like stealing?
      Not with any provider that I've ever heard of.
      Sometimes life is altered.
      Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
      Uneasy with confrontation.
      Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

not really stealing

any one can purchase a store bought router and hook up more computers so its ok. but we dont support those router issues.
        CONVERGYS/COMCAST'S FINEST OVER THE PHONE SLAVE "TAKING CRAP FROM EACH CUSTOMER WITH HALF OF WHAT THE REAL EMPLOYEE FROM COMCAST GETS PAID AND A SMILE AND AN APOLOGY!

Comment

Nope. A router prevents, well mostly, packet collisions so multiple computers can be online from the same modem
          Out of retail!

Comment

I wasn't saying for as in you have to I was saying pay for as in that is the expectation.

For example one of the companies in our area, a national one, has special deals for a modem and hookup designed for only one computer and they intend that you only use it for one computer or pay the higher price for multiple computer modems.

That is what I was saying.

Comment

I wasn't saying for as in you have to I was saying pay for as in that is the expectation.

For example one of the companies in our area, a national one, has special deals for a modem and hookup designed for only one computer and they intend that you only use it for one computer or pay the higher price for multiple computer modems.
              Most ISPs have such language in the contract, but they don't enforce it, at least not any more, and never have. It's too difficult to detect remotely, and so many people have multiple devices now. Otherwise everyone with a modern gaming console or a netbook would be pissing and moaning.

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
                Most ISPs have such language in the contract, but they don't enforce it, at least not any more, and never have. It's too difficult to detect remotely, and so many people have multiple devices now. Otherwise everyone with a modern gaming console or a netbook would be pissing and moaning.
                I realize that but would be reason for a company to not offer support for equipment that quite frankly they didn't sell you. Also when you get a truly sucky customer who isn't listening you casually mention that they are asking you to break the law by aiding them in stealing from your company. I know no one takes it seriously but hey if you don't support it that gives you a great thing to point out to the truly sucky customers
                Last edited by jackfaire; 11-02-2009, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Shadow, granted I haven't read all the fine print, but I don't even think my internet contract has that clause in it to not be enforced... as far as I could tell on the contract it said that they would provide support for the modem only, that anything I added on top of that (such as routers) I would be my own and that they had no liability for equipment not working. Basically, they say that you have purchased 7meg bandwidth, and as long as you don't exceed that (which they won't let you do) you can split it as many ways as you want, just don't come crying to us when something doesn't work. And sadly 7megs is a bit on the slow side for us now
                  Last edited by smileyeagle1021; 11-02-2009, 01:55 PM.
                  If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth convergyssucks View Post
                    this is ludacris and so stupid
                    I agree, Ludacris IS stupid...
                    "I call murder on that!"

Comment

"What do you mean you won't support it? It's part of YOUR modem!" If it doesn't have $cableco's name on it, it's not theirs. Idiots. Even my mom knows that the router I brought home didn't say "$cableco", so any issues with it are likely not cableco's problem (except when the modem wigs out and doesn't recognize the router, which is an easy enough fix...luckily that occurrence seems to be decreasing in frequency).
                      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
                        Yeppers. Besides, it's too easy to set up a firewall, and hide multiple devices behind it. I do know, that one of my past employers literally freaked out the ISP in our building. How? Well, we'd just purchased one of their 'broadband' packages. Imagine their surprise, when several consecutively numbered IPs started showing up At least I didn't take the heat for it--the guy who set up did

Things all got squared away, and we set up our connection properly. A cheap proxy server/firewall took care of all that. Didn't really matter as we later had to get a T1 for the stock quote machines, and were allowed to tap into that
                        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

That person was an idiot.

I sincerely doubt they actually work from their home, or they'd be trying harder to get things fixed.

In other news, my ISP had absolutely no problems with troubleshooting our modem to get us connected when we switched, even though the modem came from our previous ISP and was branded (and therefor had slightly wonky coding).

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Nope Using a router does not increase the total amount of bandwidth available, it just splits that bandwidth amongst several machines. See also the line below.
                            Quoth patiokitty View Post
                            When I asked the installer about it he said that we are paying for the bandwidth used and that it doesn't matter how many computers we have connected.
                            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

It is no more stealing when you attach multiple computers behind a single router than it is when you attach multiple TVs behind a single splitter.

Arguing that it is theft of service is likely to get you laughed out of any respectable conversation. And if a tech ever told me that I was engaged in theft of service, my conversation with him would be over and I would be talking to the manager about the need to properly train the employees.

Comment

Working...
                              X