Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I demand a discount on my senior citizen discount!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
    A number of "ebay tips" books have that, mostly having to do with shorting sellers on the shipping charge. Logic being that all sellers pad their shipping costs (scuse me, that handling fee is to ensure your antique Waterford bowl/Madame Alexander doll/whatever gets to you intact).
    I've never been giving a shipping charge that I felt was out of line from a seller. In fact, all of the sellers that state in the auction "buyer pays actual shipping charges" have sent me a receipt for the shipping. Although I did always wonder why pay-pal had the "discounts" field. I always thought to myself "Wouldn't the seller apply discounts before invoicing?"
    The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

working in a craft store, the "I'm old I deserve a cheaper price" people drove me nuts, we did not offer a senior discount, but several other stores in the area did. The day I ran from my register and hugged my boss after a customer left was one such person....

OSC(in line-to my manager who was helping me bag)-"do you offer a senior discount?"
      Awesome manager-"no store x doesn't believe in ANY form of age discrimination."
      OSC-"Well store y has a 10% senior discount pass it on."
      Awesome Manager-"Well we're already 25% cheaper than store y."
      OSC-"I still think I should get a discount."
      AM-"well we do have a nice employee discount, but my employees have to be either a better worker than BlaqueKatt, or prettier-so you don't qualify"
      OSC-<cat butt face>-"I'm never shopping here again"
      AM-"well where will you be shopping so I can warn them?"

I was done ringing her up, she paid and left, I never said a word to her the entire transaction. My manager wnet to leave, I ran after him squealed and hugged him. He then informed me that what he said about employees was tre and that's why I was the only cashier-I was happy(and very flattered-he complimented me in two ways and it didn't seem at all creepy)

BlaqueKatt-who compares every boss to "Bossman Dan"
      Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth TNT View Post
        I've actually had a call from someone who said he needed to stop drinking but the only way he could do it was to have supercable service that he couldn't afford at retail. Because I couldn't give him a discount, he dumped the existential responsibility for his continuing life of debauchery right on top of me: "Then I guess I'll be a drunk forever. How does that make you feel?"
        "Makes me feel like I'm not charging you enough, if you can still afford the booze. How 'bout I go ahead and give you this service, and tack on an extra 25% surcharge, will that help you kick the habit? 'Cause you know, I'm all about being helpful ... "

Comment

It seems though now that the baby boomers have started to hit 50... It's what a babyboomer turns 50 every 8 seconds? That seniors discounts have started to disappear. I remember that nearly every restaurant I went to as a kid had a senior's meal or all the stores had a 10% senior's discount. At first for instance, Shoppers Drugmart had a seniors discount, that got pushed to senior's day on Wednesdays. Now Shoppers Drugmart has a SENIOR'S DAY! Once a month. The last Wednesday of the month. Retailers and the service can't keep up with all the old farts and the discounts, so they're scaling back considerably.

So it's fare to understand that some of these seniors who if they're still around, are the parents of the boomers, suddenly don't have their discounts like they did in the 80s and 90s? I would assume it'd be difficult for them to understand. But what I can't stand is the boomers who are a few years older than my parents, same age as my uncles giving ME the gears about seniors discounts at the portrait studio.

This isn't the Early Bird Brunch at the IHOP. I'm trying to make decent sales and there's nearly a thousand of you boomers coming at me over the christmas holidays joking about and sometimes DEMANDING a senior's discount on your grandkid's pictures. It's NOT going to happen.

Comment

Quoth TNT View Post
            And no, I'm not kidding. I've actually had a call from someone who said he needed to stop drinking but the only way he could do it was to have supercable service that he couldn't afford at retail. Because I couldn't give him a discount, he dumped the existential responsibility for his continuing life of debauchery right on top of me: "Then I guess I'll be a drunk forever. How does that make you feel?"
            "Sounds like you need a meeting, sir!"
            "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Quoth TNT View Post
              Left that one out..."I only watch religious programs. Why should I have to pay for programming I find offensive?"
              Actually, I kinda agree with the sentiment of this one. Although I would never dream of pulling this with some poor cable rep. I yearn for the day when I can pick and choose my channels, and drop stupidly-expensive ESPN. I'll live without watching Billiards on TV (Which is one of the few sports I actually like).
              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                Actually, I kinda agree with the sentiment of this one. Although I would never dream of pulling this with some poor cable rep. I yearn for the day when I can pick and choose my channels, and drop stupidly-expensive ESPN. I'll live without watching Billiards on TV (Which is one of the few sports I actually like).
                The issue is some things come in bundles and they can't be split up, if they are, it becomes either very inconvenient or unprofitable. After all businesses do not exist to serve customers. Well ok, they do , but only for the ultimate goal of making money.

For example if someone came into my games store and wanted an Xbox 360 Console. No controllers, no cables, no games, JUST the console itself. Well unless this person wants to pay FULL PRICE for a bundle that includes everything else, I can't sell him just a console (even at a discounted price, which is UNHEARD of with relatively new systems because game companies make no profit on systems) because I then end of with a bunch of other stuff which has limited resale value and rather useless 360 box without a console in it.

I'm sure there are more people out there who would love to simply pay for ONE TV channel only but the problem there aren't ENOUGH people to make it financially reasonable for the cable company to offer such customization.

Comment

Speaking of senior citizens demanding discounts...tomorrow is Senior Citizens Day at the Fabulous Looneyland (aka my store).

Corporate thinks we could do a hundred grand worth of sales...must be betting that the old farts will be spendy, buying gifts for children or grandchildren. After all they do get a 5% discount.

And I don't have to work tomorrow! I feel like the passenger who missed the plane that nosedived right into the ground.

Maybe I'll go finish my Christmas shopping.
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Moore's used to do this. They would have the first (I think) thursday of every month be senior's day. Senior Citizens got like an extrat 10 percent off the top except on certain sale items.

This usually went off without a hitch. However there was a minor problem.

Inside the store, we would hang these things from the ceiling saying "Today is seniors day" yadda yadda yadda. Outside, we hung this huge banner saying the same thing.

Now after seniors day, we didn't take the banner down. Rather we left it up to pull in the morning.

I can't tell you how many times we would miss one of those inside signs. People seemed to catch onto them right away. Customers would SEARCH the store for these things before coming up and saying "I have to get a discount because the sign is up." Uh...it's not thursday?

I came to hate those things...
                    Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

Comment

I have always wondered if a sign was up that said "old sales prices will not be honored",Would it stand up? After all...the customer is pointing out the signs that are missed and claiming a discount. If you point out the sign that trumps thiers then logic tells me that should be the end of it. Not that real logic has any application towards the way shitty customers act.

Comment

Working...
                      X