This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dude, at least try to outsmart me.

OK, for those who don't know, we now require all users of the relay service to be registered. Of course this is an attempt to reduce the number of people who use the service to commit fraud. Some fraud people still slip past our nets (well, we figure it out pretty quickly what they are up to, but those are few and far between that we don't stop before the registration process is complete).
    I actually enjoy getting the scammers... because some of them will actually try to outsmart me, and it's a fun little game (fun because most of them have no idea what tools we have at our disposal ). The most common trick is claiming that they have a pending registration with another company... not counting on the fact that we can call other companies to verify... I will give those guys credit, if I didn't know that's how we operated I wouldn't think that would happen either. Tonight though I got someone who truly insulted my intelligence.
    He told me his name was, and I have no problem quoting it sense it was so obviously fake, "djdjdj fkfkfk"... exactly like that, no caps, no vowels, so obviously fake that I had a hard time taking him serious... honestly, do you think we aren't going to flag that as suspicious...
    So I pulled up google to check the address (i'm technically not supposed to do this, but I only did it because it was already suspicious)... ok, so I only checked the zip code against the city... wouldn't you guess, the zip code he gave me wasn't from the city he gave me... not even the same state (not the same city doesn't mean much, I routinely give people a different city than what google pulls up for my city, not because of fraud, but because that cities post office is the one that I get deliveries from even though I'm not technically in that city). I'm willing to bet the rest of the address was bogus too... not that it matters with an obvious fake name and a zip code that doesn't even match the state.

And yes, I did refuse to process the registration and did block the caller from placing calls.
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

...so, is that particular name of some sort of slavic origin or what...?

I guess he thought that since he's a ginormous asstard, then everyone else must be, too.

Have to say, I'm glad to see that you seem to be enjoying this job much better than the hotel. Makes me happy for you!

Comment

Quoth lupo pazzesco View Post
      ...so, is that particular name of some sort of slavic origin or what...?

Probably more like Typing Class: Lesson One; Excerise #3.

Mike
      Meow.........

Comment

Wow... I mean, make an effort man. I don't care how stupid you think people who aren't all fancy lawyers are, djdjdj fkfkfk WON'T FOOL ANYONE
        Childrenofthenight.Thecomicseries.com/comics/latest

Check out my comic. I write, my friend Red draws. Comments welcome. Leave them on their, or on my profile here.

Comment

Quoth Hyena Dandy View Post
          Wow... I mean, make an effort man. I don't care how stupid you think people who aren't all fancy lawyers are, djdjdj fkfkfk WON'T FOOL ANYONE
          Nor will trying to convince me that a zip code that is for SOUTH of DC is really for NORTH of DC... mamma didn't raise no fool.

Comment

Have to say, I'm glad to see that you seem to be enjoying this job much better than the hotel.
            I know I've been busy and out of the loop for a bit, but I didn't realize you had left the hotel. Or if I realized it, I forgot it. A late congratulations to you, sir. And enjoy the new idjits you're gonna be dealing with here!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
            Still A Customer."

Comment

I guess he thought that since he's a ginormous asstard, then everyone else must be, too.
              I've learned that stupid people generally operate under the assumption that everyone else is either as stupid or even stupider than them.

I'm not sure if this is because they honestly think they're a genius, or if they just can't process enough to grasp the concept that smarter people exist.
              » Horse Words «·» Roleplaying Stuff «

Comment

I studied ASL in high school so I know quite a bit about our local relay system. I was wondering a couple things. When there is a typo on the TTY do you typically try to fix it, especially when it's easy? Also, are the people talking on the regular phone supposed to say, "Go ahead" as well?

Was I supposed to PM this?

Comment

Quoth KabeRinnaul View Post
                  I've learned that stupid people generally operate under the assumption that everyone else is either as stupid or even stupider than them.

I'm not sure if this is because they honestly think they're a genius...
                  This was always one of my theories. Either that, or they suffer under the exceedingly depressing notion that everyone else on the planet IS really dumber than they are.
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth aj_prettiful View Post
                    I studied ASL in high school so I know quite a bit about our local relay system. I was wondering a couple things. When there is a typo on the TTY do you typically try to fix it, especially when it's easy? Also, are the people talking on the regular phone supposed to say, "Go ahead" as well?

Was I supposed to PM this?
                    actually, those are easy questions (and ones I actually prefer public because the more people know the easier my job is).
                    If there is a typo you do of course try to fix it. It is more common though (for operators at least, each user has there own way of doing things) to just send the message then immediately send the three letters XXX which means "please disregard previous message, there was a mistake, correction will be next" because it is typically quicker just to type it again rather than edit.
                    As far as saying "go ahead", that varies by relay company. The company I work for does not require it from either user, the deaf user is told to just put all they want to say in in message and send it all at once and our signal to start relaying is them sending the message, and tell the hearing user simply to stop talking when they are ready for us to send (basically like a natural conversation except with awkward pauses). However, if either party requests the use of GA then we will do one of two things. If only one party requests it we use GA with them, and them only... if both parties request it (or one party asks that it be required of both) then both the hearing user and the deaf user will need to use GA through the call and technically the only way the call can be disconnected (aside from the hearing user slamming down the phone) is if either party says SK. As I said though, the rules on the usage of Go Ahead vary by relay company, if you ever receive a relay call it is best to ask the operator for clarification.

Comment

OK, the zip code not matching the city, I can understand. There are a few zip codes I can think of in my area that cover more than one town name. One example: my ex's old address is TownA, but if you put the zip code in Google it comes up as TownB, and there is also at least one other town name that falls under that zip code. But seriously, at least make sure you have a zip from the right state!
                      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth KabeRinnaul View Post
                        I'm not sure if this is because they honestly think they're a genius, or if they just can't process enough to grasp the concept that smarter people exist.
                        Generally, it's because they don't have the processor power to understand just how dim they really are.

There's a study out there that was checking people's self-image and competency. They discovered that in the first round, the competent people judged themselves harshly, and the incompetent people thought they were just peachy. Then they did a review, where all of the actual scores were revealed, but names were withheld. After the review, there was another judgment requested and all of the incompetent people still thought they were just peachy, or maybe revised their estimates downwards slightly, but not nearly enough while most of the competent people revised their own judgments upwards, fairly close to reality.

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I don't think that stupid people think everyone's as dumb or dumber than them, or that they are geniuses.

Frankly, I don't think are smart enough to even bother thinking about it. And they are so self-involved, I don't know why y'all think they do.

Though I will say that a lot of dumb people don't think they are as dumb as they are.

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                          ... and technically the only way the call can be disconnected (aside from the hearing user slamming down the phone) is if either party says SK.
                          And what the heck does "SK" mean?!?

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                          Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post

Special Relay call speak to indicate you don't want a reply. Basically like you hung up the phone.

I just setup a relay phone at my office's reception desk for incoming/outgoing calls.
                            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post

quite literally it means "stop keying" meaning that they wish the relay operator to stop any communication to either party.

Comment

Working...
                              X