Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For the love of the FSM, why encourage them?!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For the love of the FSM, why encourage them?!

There is currently a radio commercial playing in my area that absolutely encourages the SC behavior we know and loathe.

It's for a place called "Johnny Rocket's" (approximate spelling).....it's a 50's-themed diner with, apparently, real or erzatz fountain soda and ice cream, soda jerks in white uniforms, and.....oh good Flying Sphaghetti Monster.....

Apparently each table has a small jukebox that will play one or more 50's songs for a quarter. When a customer puts the money in, so goes the commercial, the waitstaff will dance to the music.

I hope to whatever deity is on call this weekend they aren't serious....you could NOT pay me enough to dance on command every time a sucktomer dropped a quarter.

Thoughts?
    http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/29478

Watch that place has all employees bailing the first day, leaving only one manager crying as he/she dances to music all night until he snaps and goes on a rampage.
    No good news is good bad news

Comment

I've actually eaten at one of these, and yes the employees do dance. I looked at my husband when they started and said, " I will never ever work here no matter how hard things get!"
      http://leae.livejournal.com/

Comment

I'll assume (yes, I know...) that most, if not all, of the employees there knew about the dancing policy before they applied--or got hired. If that is the case, then why should we feel sorry for them? They knew what they were getting into.
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I've been by a few. The first one, four or five years ago, the remote jukeboxes didn't work.

The other one I pass by, well... that is some of the most lethargic, they're-paying-me-to-do-this type dancing I've seen.

Comment

I've eaten there before, they only danced a couple times and it was usually several songs in a row so i dont think it was due to jukeboxes playing but i could be wrong
            The employees seemed to enjoy it, theres lots of places where employees sing or dance so there must be people who enjoy doing that as their job

Comment

That seems very strange, I don't think that would go down well in the UK lol.
              No longer a flight atttendant!

Comment

Quoth Ryu View Post
                The employees seemed to enjoy it, theres lots of places where employees sing or dance so there must be people who enjoy doing that as their job
                My old supervisor was like that. If she liked a song we were playing, she'd dance to it.

Me? I just sing along quietly. Can't dance, and can't hold a tune to save my life. Why scare people?
                I AM the evil bastard!
                A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

We had something like that in my city. I ate there 2 times. I was going to take a date there, she wanted too, and they were closed. No warning what-so-ever. That place was cool and all. But there is no way I am dancing for customers.
                  Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                  San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

I've been there a few times, and I've never seen any dancing, and it was usually late at night. So you'd think there would be a bunch of drunks doing dumb things like making the employees dance, but no, never seen it. No wonder they were always hiring, though....

I would never make anyone dance. I know that they should know what they are getting into, but sometimes times get so rough that you need a job, ANY job. (Hell, I've been there).
                    "If you are planning not to tip, please let your server know before ordering so they can decide whether or not to wait on you" - from an advice column I read some time ago

Comment

i been there. they do dance but i think its only at certain times. one time i had a friend(that friend that will do crazy things in public, everybody has one of these) he got up there and danced with them. pretty funny. i just think the place i highly over priced. i remeber off the menu a Pb&j sandwhich is like 6 bucks. nothing special about teh sandwhich just plain pb&j.

Comment

Quoth Giggle Goose View Post
                        I would never make anyone dance. I know that they should know what they are getting into, but sometimes times get so rough that you need a job, ANY job. (Hell, I've been there).
                        That's how I feel too...I think almost everyone has had at least one job that well and truly sucked, or had to take a job that well and truly sucked because they needed the money desperately.

I personally wouldn't be comfortable visiting this restaurant because I'd find myself wondering if the waitstaff want to be there or have to be there. My first reaction to the commercials was "Oh god, THAT'S humiliating."

Ryu: I'm not sure...you could be right...I was going by my memory of the radio commercial, which could very well be inaccurate.
                        http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/29478

Comment

Joe's Crab Shack in Plano, Texas - they had dancing servers. When YMCA, Car Wash, and I can't remember the other name would come on, the servers would have to stop and freakin' dance. At the time, I was still in the restaurant industry and I said, "Uh, uh, no freakin' way!" There's no way you could get me to stop and dance if I am in the weeds freakin' out! THey were dancin when it was busy!

But, then again, I said that about singing happy birthday at Chili's and Tante Agore at Carrabba's. I said never, and then I had to sing it ....again and again and again.
                          "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Well you know that sterotype of the actor/waiter....

you never know, some of the staff could be working there could fit into that catagory?

holy crap if people at a fishmarket can have fun.....id believe anything
                            I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

I often dance at work. At both jobs. I don't have to, I just do. Heck, at the waterfront bar, many of us will often dance. It is just that kind of laidback place where such things are amusing. Now, if only they would stop giving me those damn opening breakfast shifts......

At the hotel they look at me a bit odder when I break out into dance. I still do break out into dance, because that is just my nature.

I have often had people ask me if, since it is their birthday, I would sing and dance for them. "Folks, I have no problem dancing. But because I like you, and want you to continue liking me, I am going to NOT sing for you. Ask around....you will thank me for it later."

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                              Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                              X