This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Giggle Goose View Post
    I've been to the Bahamas (and man, do I want to go back!) I knew that they were happy to take American money, but just watch out for the ones who will give you Bahamian money back in change. They think you're too drunk to notice sometimes....and most people are!!!!
    All of the places we went gave back american and bahamian money back depending but i spent all the money i had except getting a very small amount of bahamian money as a souvenir, like slightly over 1 dollars, maybe a nickel extra

Comment

When we were in BC this summer, we had only one issue paying with American cash. Everyplace we went was giving a 10% exchange rate (if I recall correctly), so a $20 bill would be rung up as $20.20. One location wouldn't give anything on the exchange, so out comes the Visa card. Even with the bank's "exchange fee", we still came out a little bit ahead.

We did make a point of stopping by a Canadian bank so that we could get actual Canadian money. Made things very easy.

Now I'm just hoping we can make it back up there again this summer.
      That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

When I was in Ecuador, I had locals who preferred to get US money-- and this was before the country gave up and just started using US money as the official currency. Something 100% inflation...

All of the places I went to last trip took US money. But most of them did it at a 1-1 exchange rate. Oh well. It was still better than paying exchange rates both ways on I wasn't sure how much I was going to actually spend. It's going to be really fun if the US dollar weakens more and we hit par at some future point. Or end up below the Canadian dollar.

Comment

Customers try to pay me with pesos. I suppose they think they're still in Mexico, not America.

Comment

Maevis- In Canada, ATM cards and debit cards are the same, actually!

I was down in California this summer, and I was buying a postcard. I handed the vendor some change, and he looked at my one Canadian penny and handed it back to me. I got a kick out of it, given the exchange rate was close to par at that time! The few hundredth of a penny he would have lost on that sale would have ruined him, I'm sure!

Comment

There aer a lot of places in the world where they will gratefully accept US dollars in preference to their own currencies - loads of places in Africa for starters. However, that doesn't mean that they USE the dollar all the time.
              A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
              - Dave Barry

Comment

I'd love to go to Canada.
                But from what I understand, it's so cold that molecules stop moving (Yay for science) this time of year.
                "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

Quoth RaptorGirl View Post
                  Maevis- In Canada, ATM cards and debit cards are the same, actually!
                  I think it depends on the bank. My (American) National City ATM card is also a debit card...but I don't think all of them are.

I've been to Canada a few times...and have never had money problems. Of course I always ask if they take American funds before trying to use them
                  Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth Cosmic Cat View Post
                    Customers try to pay me with pesos. I suppose they think they're still in Mexico, not America.
                    That takes me back. See, one of the very first magic tricks I ever learned was a coin trick involving an American half dollar and a Mexican centavo. And part of my introduction went like this:

"This is an American half dollar. You know what that's worth? [pause] Right! Half a dollar! And this is a Mexican centavo. You know what that's worth? [pause] No! Nothing! This is America, not Mexico!"

Or something along those lines. It was fairly amusing.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                    Still A Customer."

Comment

We get Canadian currency now and again. The general understanding is that Canadian dollars, quarters, ten-penny pieces, five-penny pieces and pennies are identical to American coins and are not subject to exchange rates, whereas two-dollar coins, five dollar bills and ten dollar bills are.
                      You're not doing me a favor by eating here. I'm doing you a favor by feeding you.

Comment

Quoth Gawdzillers View Post
                        I'd love to go to Canada.
                        But from what I understand, it's so cold that molecules stop moving (Yay for science) this time of year.
                        Actually, it's 6C (43F) and rainy right now in Toronto. Come join us!

Comment

That is molecule stoppage. Weren't there plans afoot to measure Canadian temperatures on the Kelvin scale at one point, so you didn't have to use negatives?
                          I think, therefore I am. But I am micromanaged, therefore I am not.

Comment

Quoth jb17kx View Post
                            That is molecule stoppage. Weren't there plans afoot to measure Canadian temperatures on the Kelvin scale at one point, so you didn't have to use negatives?

Have you seriously heard that? Funny idea, but its most likely some sort of Canadian urban legend. Large portions of Europe, Asia, and the United States deal with negative temperatures too, and they seem to get by all right.
                            I need to stop typing now. Ever since that last blizzard in August ripped a hole through my igloo, my fingers have been freezing. I wish the authorities would do something about it, but they're too busy taking care of the all moose and beavers roaming the streets.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

We take American coins at par with Canadian, but anything else is subject to the exchange rate. Luckily the cash registers are set up to do it, since I am incapable of doing math.

Comment

Quoth chantal View Post
                                Actually, it's 6C (43F) and rainy right now in Toronto. Come join us!
                                Toronto actaully being further South than Seattle, where it is also 43 degrees and raining. Also, I don't think molecules stop moving until you get down to one degree Kelvin. That being why you can't get any colder, the molecules can't move any slower than when they've stopped.
                                You're not doing me a favor by eating here. I'm doing you a favor by feeding you.

Comment

Working...
                                X