Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

As wrinkled as a California Raisin .....Warning: Language!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As wrinkled as a California Raisin .....Warning: Language!

This guy (who is older than dirt) approaches me as I, and a server were cleaning off a table. Now I look younger than my age (mid twenties) and I usually get mistaken for being in my late teens-early twenties--which I'm pretty happy about =) but not this....

SC: Excuse me! but I've been calling you!
    Me: Okay, what do you need?
    SC: I thought you had to be 16 to work here!
    Me: Uhh...actually it's 18.
    SC:................................
    Me:..........Ok.....
    SC: Well YOU don't look old enough to WORK HERE!
    Me: Well, I am..How old do you think I look? 15?
    SC: hyuk, hyuk, you look twelve!
    Me: (pissed) Well, that sounds like an insult to me! (then I storm off)

Later, I saw him approaching the host stand and I turned around, and said to my co worker just loud enough for him to hear: Unless he's coming to APOLOGISE, I'M NOT DEALING WITH HIM!!!.......he kept walking.

What a fucking dick! I know women like being told they look younger than they are, but don't tell a woman she looks like a prepubescent girl. NOT the way to win brownie points. /endrant

If I ever see him outside of work I'll be tempted to remind him who I am, and say--"Are you from California? Cuz you resemble a raisin =P (lots of raisins come from Cali, If you didn't know that, you've learned something new )

Quoth LadyKelli666 View Post
    SC: hyuk, hyuk, you look twelve!

Well compared to you Sir, so does the continent of Africa.
    "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

all i can say is that... you'll like it when you're older
      say when you're over 35 and they still ask for your id for alcohol (and there's no 100% ID policy), it'll make you smile ;-)

Comment

Yeah, I look really young too. When I worked at the grocery store (I left almost 2 years ago), I was asked at least once per shift if I was going to graduate high school that year. I was a little shocked the first couple of times, but then I'd just explain that no, I had been out of high school for several years, I have a Bachelor's degree, and I teach. I guess the work uniform made me look younger??

People I work with now still think I'm like 18 or 19 unless I actually tell them I'm 24. Yeah, it's kind of a pain sometimes, but you'll enjoy it when you get older!

I think that jerk was just trying to get a rise out of you, IMHO. Some people are just rude that way....
        Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.

Proverbs 22:6

Comment

Quoth LadyKelli666 View Post
          I know women like being told they look younger than they are, but don't tell a woman she looks like a prepubescent girl. NOT the way to win brownie points.
          The other extreme is no picnic either. I remember the guy at Carls Jr who asked me if I wanted the senior discount. I was 39 at the time!!!
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I've gotten used to this and I'm starting to enjoy it. I was actually tickled last spring when I got carded for Watchmen at the theater. And old folks probably don't mean insult by what they say. And hell, I'd rather get the 'You don't look old enough to be here!' fiasco than the "Are you pregnant or are you just fat?" question that I got more than once working in retail.
            The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Comment

"You'll enjoy it when you get older" really doesn't help. Less than half my life will be spent enjoying being assumed younger than I am. Even ignoring the fact that I still have another 20 years to go before I start enjoying it (genetics suggest that I"m going to go grey really really late), it seems like a bad trade-off.

As for the SC in the original post, I think he was just deliberately trying to get a rise out of you. That goes beyond "he thought it was flattering", and is well into "he's a complete jackass, and is either trying to be annoying, or is so far out of touch I'm surprised there's a language in common" territory.

Comment

what gets me though, is i always have my ID out and ready to hand to the cashier, and they take one look at me, and kinda snarkily (is that even a word? lol) ask "do you have your id?" then they frickin scrutinize it...i'm sooooooo sorry that i got tired of my regular hair color and dyed it black. and oh, whats that? you're noticing i am wearing glasses? the drivers license place makes us take em off for the pic....now gimmie my stuff!!
                It's ironic, I never got asked for ID before I was of age, now at 34 I still get asked if I'm clean shaven (for some reason the grey in my beard doesn't rate being ID'd).

Quoth XCashier View Post
                The other extreme is no picnic either. I remember the guy at Carls Jr who asked me if I wanted the senior discount. I was 39 at the time!!!
                Ouch! I would have told him yes though...

Comment

Or you could tell the SC that he (probably) looks like dried up leather.
                  I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                  Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                  Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth PixelJockey View Post
                    Ouch! I would have told him yes though...
                    I had my head bent down, looking through my purse for my money when he asked the senior discount question. When I looked up at him in shock, he got a good look at my reasonably smooth face and said, "Oh, no, I guess you don't!" So I really don't think I could've gotten it past him, even if I'd wanted to.
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Oh, God.. California Raisins. The singing... I thought I had purged it all from my mind...

I've once been thought of as older than I am (not counting relatives who say I sound like my father); otherwise I've had people say I still look fairly young (by about ten years, even).
                      "IT stands away, interrupting himself from the incessant hammering of the kittens…"

Comment

Working...
                      X