This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gourmet Toast

My friend DR is kind of new to this whole food service thing, but over dinner tonight, she told me a whopper of a story that happened to her today or yesterday (not sure which).

The Setting: Dr works in a lovely casual oceanfront restaurant. Literally oceanfront...there are some chairs that are on the sand! And people come in and hang out there, or on the beach, or both, in bikinis and such. In other words, this is one casual place. Decent food, of course, but not a place you would expect fine china, if you get my drift.

The Players:
    DR: my friend, a lovely and polite young woman, and in this case the unfortunate breakfast waitress.
    SL: Snooty Lady, who apparently thought she was at the Four Seasons.
    NW: Nice understanding woman at the next table, seated with her back to SL.
    JT: My thoughts (often paralleling DR's) through this story while she is telling it to me.
    SL's male companion had just ordered breakfast, and made a very simple straightforward affair of it. SL, however, was being very haughty and particular in her order, and had come to the toast.

SL: Now, I want the toast dark, but not burnt. And crispy, but not all the way through.
    JT: Lady, are you kidding me? DR is a waitress, she is not in the business of designing or buiding toasters to your particular specifications!
    DR: Um, ma'am, we just have one of those toasters that runs the toast through it, like on a belt.
    NW: (turning around to SL, and asking very nicely) Pardon me, but what are you ordering?
    SL: (indicating her choice to NW) This.
    NW: (dropping the pretence of nice) That's $7.95. It's toast!
    SL:
    NW: (turning back around, addressing her dining companion rather loudly) It's toast, and she's ordering it like it's fucking filet mignon!
    SL: (quickly)Fine. Just give me that!

How DR kept a straight face through all of this, I don't know. But major kudos to NW for putting this cat butt face in her place!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

aaaaaaaaaaand that's rule #1 broken
    seriously, who orders toast like that? it's toast! it's crispy bread!
    The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
      aaaaaaaaaaand that's rule #1 broken
      seriously, who orders toast like that? it's toast! it's crispy bread!
      Well yeah, but you know, I like the 5 molecules in between to be cool and mushy.
      No good news is good bad news

Comment

Quoth Cedophile View Post
        Well yeah, but you know, I like the 5 molecules in between to be cool and mushy.
        who doesn't??
        The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

I dont get it.
          Do radioactive cats have 18 half-lives?

Comment

I miss toast!!!!!! It's the best when it's crispy and golden brown on the outside, but when you pull it apart, it's still soft in the middle. :drools:

Where's my toaster? Oh, wait, no bread in the house, anyway.
            Unseen but seeing
            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
            3rd shift needs love, too
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

You'd be surprised how particular people are with their toast/english muffins, etc. Back at the café, the cook would get so mad at the people who sent their toast back for not being "done" enough, she would just run it through the toaster a couple MORE times and burn the livin' sh*t out of it!!! Funny for her, not so much for me who had to deal with the irate customer....
              "If you are planning not to tip, please let your server know before ordering so they can decide whether or not to wait on you" - from an advice column I read some time ago

Comment

Quoth Giggle Goose View Post
                Back at the café, the cook would get so mad at the people who sent their toast back for not being "done" enough
                Surely you didn't expect them to eat raw toast?
                Sometimes life is altered.
                Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                Uneasy with confrontation.
                Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Mmmm...toast...glistening with real Irish butter and just the right golden smooshy brown...

Ooh!! I have a better one!! FRENCH TOAST!!! *snaffles in cupboards* Lessee, milk, eggs, vanilla sugar (awesome stuff), cinnamon, bread...in freezer, keeps longer...no syrup NOOOO!!! Oh I'll wait till tomorrow.
                  "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

bob and tom did a song about toast
                    its quite funny

Comment

Good lord, somebody shoot me if I ever get that anal over toast.

I just throw the bread in the toaster, push down the lever and forget about it. As long as it doesn't come out a lump of charcoal, I'll eat it.
                      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                        Good lord, somebody shoot me if I ever get that anal over toast.

I just throw the bread in the toaster, push down the lever and forget about it. As long as it doesn't come out a lump of charcoal, I'll eat it.
                        I am kind of particular about my toast. My dad likes it as warm bread, my mother as 'well done'...I used to like mum's but now I'm leaning more towards dad's. I fiddle with every toaster I own until I find the single setting that does it how I like it without my having to push the lever down again.

But that's my own toasters. I will eat any kind of toast, except if it's black.
                        "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                          Surely you didn't expect them to eat raw toast?
                          Which would would rather, raw toast or raw bread?
                          ludo ergo sum

Comment

I do licke toast, but i'd rather have scones with some jelly and a big steaming cup of blackcurrant tea. mmmmmmm
                            I pet animals, I rescue insects, I hug trees.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras

Comment

Yea, when I am at home, I'll make the toast "perfect." At a diner, or restauarant damn...It's JUST toast! As long as it isn't all black and burned, it's fine!

I like the other customer turning around and putting the woman in her place!
                              I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

Working...
                              X