This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two from this past week

I haven't had as many SC's as the rest of you... I guess I'm just lucky in that regard. But this week I had two that I think are worth sharing...

#1) Dear lady

Dear lady who runs a welding company,

Yes, I know that your husband, THE OWNER of said welding company, came to us and asked us to make up a business form for you. I was there when he gave all of the information to our graphic artist. I heard him describe what size he wanted it to be, on what kind of paper, how many in a book, all of that information.

The reason that your job isn't finished yet is because your husband gave us the information 5 minutes before closing YESTERDAY and you are calling us 5 minutes after we opened TODAY. We did not work into the wee horus of the night to get your job ready to print. We WOULD have, if your husband had told us it was urgent. He did not. She asked your husband how quickly he needed this done and his response was (and I quote) "No rush." To us, that means a few days. Apparently to you, that means an amount of time greater than the blink of an eye.

I also have to point out that the artist is not working today, so it isn't very likely that your form is not going to be ready within the next five eye-blinks. Your husband was told that yesterday. The graphic artist told your husband that she'd have to work on the job THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW because she WASN"T GOING TO BE HERE. I know... I was there, I heard her say it. He even nodded his head.

So, that's why it isn't done.

No, you will not be getting a discount.

(He came in Monday, she called Tuesday morning... The graphic artist rushed the proof for them on Wednesday and called them for an approval {which we always do before printing ANYTHING}. No, they haven't approved it yet...).

#2) None of your business!

On Thursday an elderly gentleman with crutches came into the store and asked for help in finding a few items.

Rubber bands? Check.

Envelopes? Check.

Printed stickers (that advocate one side of the pro-life/pro-choice battle)? Che... Wha?

I thought I mis-heard him, so I asked again. He what his position was (and it doesn't matter in this instance so I'm not putting it here) and he wanted stickers that he could put on his envelopes and letters so that others would know.

So I thought about it and said that maybe he should contact an organization that supports his position and ask them for stickers. He said he does but they always want donations and stuff.

Then he asks me what I think about the abortion debate.

So I tell him "Hey, look, we are just a shop that sells pens and paper and office stuff. As a business we don't have a position. My personal position is just that... mine, and I don't feel comfortable talking about it with a stranger. So, if you don't mind, I'd like to get back to work."

He actually seemed a little shocked by that response.

So, I take his stuff to the counter and start ringing it through. As he hands over the money for his purchase he asks me AGAIN "But really, what do you think about..."

So I tell him "I just told you that my opinion is my opinion and none of your business and I'm not comfortable talking about it. So let's just finish this so you can go."

He pays his money, I give him his change and then I hold the door open for him (like I said, an elderly gentleman with crutches... the doors are kind of heavy. I would have helped him enter the store if I had seen him...). As he leaves he asks me what was the last time a (pro-life/pro-choice) rally happened in the area. I said "I have no idea and I'm not talking to you about this anymore. Goodbye."

As I got back into the store, my boss was having a little chuckle about the encounter.

EDIT: And a funny one I forgot...

A lady comes in and asked me "My fiancee needs a divorce kit because his wife is being a bitch... Do you have what I need?"

I almost said "No, I do not have Jerry Springer's hotline number..."
    Last edited by El Pollo Guerrera; 01-24-2010, 10:58 AM.
    "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

I actually contemplated putting up a sign during the plastic-bag free mess stating the following.

"My political opinions will either clash or support yours. To stop me from getting into arguments, please do not ask me about it. I will ignore you."
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I and my mom seem to be the only people ever who heard the phrase 'Don't discuss politics and religion in polite company'. And if you must, use your indoor voice. Nobody gives a shit what you think about John Edwards (either of them) especially when it is being blasted at levels that would deafen Metallica.

Comment

Quoth El Pollo Guerrera View Post
        Then he asks me what I think about the abortion debate.

So I tell him "Hey, look, we are just a shop that sells pens and paper and office stuff. As a business we don't have a position. My personal position is just that... mine, and I don't feel comfortable talking about it with a stranger. So, if you don't mind, I'd like to get back to work."

He actually seemed a little shocked by that response.
        I'm sure he expected you to agree with his opinion, whatever it was. I went through the same thing during the 2008 election. A patient starts going off on Obama, including a number of highly racist comments . . . right in front of my student, who is black. He then looks at me as if he expects me to chime in with agreement.

Instead, I changed the subject to the patient's medical issues.

Robert A. Heinlien, one of my favorite authors, once wrote: the best thing to do with a silly comment is fail to hear it. As much as I would have liked to take the guy to task for the racist comments, I couldn't. The hospital wouldn't have backed me up when he complained.

A lady comes in and asked me "My fiancee needs a divorce kit because his wife is being a bitch... Do you have what I need?"

I almost said "No, I do not have Jerry Springer's hotline number..."
        Oh, that's priceless! I can't help but wonder whose idea was it to get the divorce kit, his or hers? Guys almost never leave their wives, but keep the mistress strung along with, "I'm trying to get her to agree to a divorce, but she's being a bitch about it."
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Bravo to ignoring the gentleman's comment. Really, you told him once you didn't have an opinion, twice is just silly, and the third time is really sad.

And tsk, I wish you HAD said the bit about Jerry Springer's hotline.
          Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

Quoth Lots42 View Post
            I and my mom seem to be the only people ever who heard the phrase 'Don't discuss politics and religion in polite company'.
            Actually, what I was taught was "The three topics to be avoided in civil conversation are money, politics, and religion."
            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
              Actually, what I was taught was "The three topics to be avoided in civil conversation are money, politics, and religion."
              How 'bout sex?

:looks around quietly: Did I say that out loud?
              "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
                How 'bout sex?
                Was that an offer?
                Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Was that an offer?

At the risk of threadjacking...Broom - you weren't supposed to tell anyone!
                  "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Was that an offer?
                    Either that or she wants to know what position(s) you support on the issue.
                    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                      Either that or she wants to know what position(s) you support on the issue.
                      Let me get out the book with the diagrams and you can just point to the ones you like.
                      How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Quoth Soulstealer View Post
                        Let me get out the book with the diagrams and you can just point to the ones you like.
                        Does it have a hardcover? That's what my copy is.
                        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                          Does it have a hardcover? That's what my copy is.
                          Hey now. This ain't a GROUP thing.

Comment

My copy's got a stain-resistant lamination. I had to pay extra. Y'know, for the discerning connoisseur.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                              My copy's got a stain-resistant lamination. I had to pay extra. Y'know, for the discerning connoisseur.

Rapscallion
                              It is one of those pop-up editions?

Comment

Working...
                              X