This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collectable are not lent out.

Like most of the remaining used book stores we have just plain used books that are usually sold at half the current cover price and the collectable books that are in cases.

Again, like other business that have stuff in cases, we have to deal with lookie loos. We've learned to live with it, because every once in a while, the person we assumed was a lookie loo turns out to be a buyer.

Yet gain, like most similar business, we have to deal with people who treat our stock like they're in a library, they pull it off the shelf, plop down and start reading.

Today an older woman (although in the last few years some women I've though of as "older" have turned out to be several years younger than me) asked to see a book in one of the cases. What we usually do is:

1) Pull the book from the case.
    2) Look at the price.
    3) Tell them the price.

At this point people who were seriously interrested in buying but not at our price thank us and move on.

4) If they haven't balked at the price. we hand it to them.

At this point a real potential buyer will check several things, the condition, the table of contents, the back of the title page. They may look at some of the pictures. They know what they want and what to look for.

5) Wait while they examine it, at the case. I probably should have mentioned earlier that some of our cases are across the aisle from the till.

It takes a real buyer less than a minute to decide if the book meets their standards.

Not with the women mentioned earlier. She asked to see a hardcover (people who say "hard copy" when they mean hardcover need to be killed, we don't sell e-books.) of Heinlein short stories. I pull it, check the price, tell her and she asks to check it out. As soon as I hand it to her she dashes to a chair, plops down and starts reading the front flap.

I figure that maybe she has a bum hip and lit it slide.

Someone comes to the till to be rung up. I do so. Then a few others show up and I ring them up. When I'm done, she is still sitting and fucking READING the book. I'm starting to get irritated, but I decide to give her a few more minutes and step outside the front door for some vitamin N.

When I'm finished she is still reading so I tell her:

"We pull the books so you can examine them for purchase, not for you to read them."

She hands the book back to me and tells me that she was just checking it out.

When you stare at a page for a minute or two, stare at the next page for a minute or two, turn the page, stare at it for a minute or two, stare at the next page for a minute or two, turn the page...lather rinse repeat...you are reading the book, not examining it.

I tell her that she was not examining it but reading it as she starts to storm out saying...wait for it...:

"You just lost a sale."

I respond that you can only loose a sale when someone is a genuinely interested buyer. I think she only heard half of it. I didn't get the chance to accuse her of being the type of person who buys something for a event, uses it, and then returns it. I know she was the type to do that.

Bitch.

Quoth Juggler View Post
    I pull it, check the price, tell her and she asks to check it out.
    Maybe she thought your store was a library.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Or B&N's or Borders

Surprised she didn't ask you for a tall latte too!
      "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

ooooh I'm interested in a hardcover collection of Heinlein stories!
        GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

I admit I sometimes end up reading through books at Borders or Barnes and Nobles, but I never leave without buying a couple of books either.

Comment

Those stores don't seem to have a problem with it, since they have designated seating areas and such.

Comment

I cant get comfortable in those stores to actually sit and start reading books...yeah go figure. Makes no sense. I can however can spend hours in there browsing with a cup of joe in my hand, or sit and study when I was in school.

To the OP, shes lucky she got as long as she did to "examine" her "potential purchase." If you wouldnt have had customers, she wouldve gotten pissed off much sooner.

Comment

For Barnes and Noble, it's a sales tactic, and it works.

A used book store doesn't work that way, and this SC knew that. The lack of the coffee bar, and books locked up in cases would've been my first clue.

So. . . . how much for that hardcover collection of Heinlien stories?
                They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I have Stranger in a Strange Land in Hardback. Wouldn't mind starting a collection.

CH
                  Some People Are Alive Only Because It Is Illegal To Kill Them

Comment

Quoth Juggler View Post
                    She asked to see a hardcover of Heinlein short stories.
                    Quoth tollbaby View Post
                    ooooh I'm interested in a hardcover collection of Heinlein stories!
                    Quoth Panacea View Post
                    So. . . . how much for that hardcover collection of Heinlien stories?
                    Now I'm curious about which Heinlein short story collection you have. I still have my hard back (sorry, hard cover) copy of Heinlien's The Past Through Tomorrow which I just realized is a first edition (1967). It got misplaced in my bookshelves and it took me a day to find it. I even priced a replacement copy on Amazon. It has one of my favorite science fiction short stories, The Roads Must Roll.

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                      Now I'm curious about which Heinlein short story collection you have.
                      The book Juggler mentioned is called "Off the Main Sequence: The Other Science Fiction Stories of Robert A. Heinlein." It was printed in 2005 but for whatever reason is out of print and slightly valuable. I bet you would like it if you like Heinlein!
                      !
                      "For truth is always strange; stranger than fiction." -- Lord Byron

Comment

I would like it. I looked it up in Wikipedia, which has the list of stories in the book. I have read many of them over the years. All but two of the stories were written in the 40s and 50s.

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                          ... one of my favorite science fiction short stories, The Roads Must Roll.
                          The Roads Must Roll, to me, has the same wonderful quality as Nerves does. It's one of those stories that you don't really get where the science fiction is, and you don't really see what the big deal is. They captured life that well, and managed to make it fairly immune to aging (with Nerves I had to read it twice, and look at the copyright date before I realized that it was written in a pre-nuclear world, not just that it had a different type of power plant).

Of course, Heinlein is good at future-proofing his novels. In Stranger in a Strange Land the lack of computers isn't really noticeable. He wrote golden age works, without the golden age dated-ness that I'm used to.

Comment

I've only read a couple of Heinlein's books, but I consider Stranger in a Strange Land to be one of the finest pieces of fiction ever written. Of all that I have read, I would place it second only to The Lord of the Rings, which I consider the best fiction I have had the pleasure of perusing.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                            Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                            X