Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

....because of course it's entirely MY FAULT the launch has been delayed...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ....because of course it's entirely MY FAULT the launch has been delayed...

It's an unfortunate reality in the video game business (and in the entertainment business as a whole) that release dates don't always stick. For various reasons a game may get pushed back weeks, months, even YEARS. In extreme situations it may get outright canceled (Duke Nukem Forever, Frame City Killer).

A big part of our store business is preordering games. The release date of a game is highly relevant to whether or not a person will preorder, since they want a firm idea of when they can expect to get their game. I understand that.

Of course, Corporate in their infinite wisdom has decided that for games that DO NOT have any kind of firm release date, we'll still take preorders on them. For example we can take reserves on Diablo III, the new WOW expansion and a Legend of Zelda Wii game that does not even have an official title yet. In order to allow us to preorder such titles, a placeholder date is used. For example, the game will show as being released on 12/31/10 or 09/10/11 or whatever.

What does all of his mean?

It means I constantly get an earful from customers when their games get delayed or god forbid canceled. And God help me if it's a game that's been delayed more than once.

I've had people very clearly expect me to do something for them so they can get their game faster. Apparently they believe that I, a lowly key holder at a games store, am also the almighty overlord with complete control over ALL GAME DEVELOPERS and can make them bend to my whim as needed.

Oh, if only that were so. All I can tell these people is "No, I don't know for sure when it's coming out, check back later for an update or keep up with the development progress online....and no I can't give you a gift card or a discount on the game because it got delayed. Nice try. "
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

When 4th ed "D&D" came out, my brother went ahead and pre-ordered the books. What did he get? Burned, badly.

Though it took me far more time, I was far more sensible, waiting until books were actually in the stores (and I had the money in my budget) to buy them. Of course, I'm also the type who looks through a new book to see if I want it.
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

I still want my Starcraft:Ghost.
      Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

My belief is simply this: It's better that the game is done right, rather than fast.
        Last edited by Andrew B.; 02-01-2010, 08:31 AM. Reason: typo
        Low lie the Fields of Athenry/ Where once we watched the small free birds fly/ Our love was on the wing/ we had dreams and songs to sing/ It's so lonely around the Fields of Athenry

Comment

I work for the big B and get this all the time.

"When will D3 be out?"
          "Dude, really? I don't know. Not even the people working on it know right now. Probably sometime next year, or maybe 2012."
          "Come on, you know, but don't want to tell me."
          "Sure, right. And I can turn invisible when nobody watches me."
          http://www.deezer.com/#music/album/100130
          Melody Gardot

Comment

Because everybody knows.. every single game store in the entire world has complete control over the production of every single game production company...

*hands over a WTFPWN Hammer*
            Fixing problems... one broken customer at a time.

Comment

Yeah, when I used to work in an electronics store (really expensive stuff, rhymes with "Hose"), I'd get people assuming I would know when new products were coming out, or when some new feature would be added to an existing piece of hardware.

I never did, but I always wanted to say, "You know, this is a huge international company, and I'm a lowly store employee making 10 bucks an hour, and we're not even on commission here. I really don't have any 'ins' with the engineering department, OK?"

Comment

Quoth Andrew B. View Post
                My belief is simply this: It's better that the game is done right, rather than fast.
                Yup. Ghostbusters as an example. I preordered that the day info was released (March of '08, I think)...it was pushed back to June of 09, and for me the wait was worth it as it seemed the original publisher was trying to rush things. I don't mind delays as long as I have a reasonably good idea of what's going on--and thanks to the web I can get that info myself and don't need to resort to bothering store employees.

I recall a few idiots trying to wrangle discounts due to the delay (hey, you should be happy we're finally getting a good game)...and they were actually posting on the forums about it
                "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I have come to accept that Blizzard time is measured in completely different units than regular time.

Seriously... I work for a software company, and while I'm support rather than development I know how long it takes to get this stuff done right. Doing it right the first time means a better product when it's released, and less time spent fixing it up afterwards.

Comment

i have nothing to say about this, while im a nerd i dont care enough to worry about preorder until about a month beofre release dates.

But you did remind me that i havent cyber stalked the D3 site in over a month.

Comment

Quoth Flying Grype View Post
                      I have come to accept that Blizzard time is measured in completely different units than regular time.
                      Well, Blizzard's stance on release dates are either "soon" or "when we finish it". When asked why, the response is always "we'd rather have a few people pissed off for having to wait longer than intended than have a LOT of people pissed off because we pushed out a crappy game.
                      I AM the evil bastard!
                      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
                        Well, Blizzard's stance on release dates are either "soon" or "when we finish it". When asked why, the response is always "we'd rather have a few people pissed off for having to wait longer than intended than have a LOT of people pissed off because we pushed out a crappy game.
                        True.

Also the definition of "soon" for everything blizzard:

"We will deliver "game" soon. Soon being before the end of time! Maybe..."
                        http://www.deezer.com/#music/album/100130
                        Melody Gardot

Comment

Quoth Flying Grype View Post
                          My reaction to seeing previews for D3 was "By the time that comes out I'll have had a chance to save up for a really nice gaming computer."

I didn't get around to opening up a savings account until this weekend. I'm still sure I'll have time.
                          The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
                            My reaction to seeing previews for D3 was "By the time that comes out I'll have had a chance to save up for a really nice gaming computer."
                            I'd just had a new computer when I pre-ordered Quake 4.
                            BY the time I got Q4 almost 2 years later, I had another new computer!

These days, with the rate games are advancing, I tend to upgrade bits at a time
                            Arp happens!

Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Comment

I think we have the record for pre order for Halo 2 (it was one of the halos) had it for so long the printing on the receipt had faded to nothing. I think it was 2 years before we had that game. Plus when the 360 came out we were in the 2nd wave since we had waited so long to put it on pre order. Had the thing paid off by the time it came in. I love our local Gamestop.

I usually put in my pre orders early since that puts us in the front of the line to get the collectors edition pre order when the put out the date.

And thank you for reminding me I need to see if they are taking pre orders for the next WoW expansion.
                              Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

Working...
                              X