This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please don't waste away your college years being a SC

It's back to school time, and that means... textbooks!! Now, most sane people have already gotten their textbooks as it is 2-3 weeks into the semester (depending on which school you go to around here). Some people are still scrambling, which is fine with me. All I ask is that you understand that our bookstore doesn't deal in textbooks. At all. Not even a little bit. Most people understand that. It's fine to call and ask! But unfortunately, no means no. This semester it seems like the SCs are getting way more persistent about it, assuming like many SCs do that we can magically make the desired item in question appear just by wishing REALLY hard! But alas.

SC: Y'all sell textbooks?
    Me: Sorry we don't.
    SC: What?
    Me: We don't sell textbooks.
    SC: But yer store sells books.
    Me: Yes but not textbooks. Like for school.
    SC: But a textbook is a book.
    Me: Yessss.... but we don't sell TEXT books. We only sell, uh, regular books.
    Me: [suddenly screaming] That's false advertising! You say you sell books so sell me a godd*mn book!
    Me: Uh, thanks for calling... *click*

[This guy actually called back and tried to complain that I was rude to him, not knowing that it was still me ]

SC#2: Hi I'm looking for [what is obvs a math textbook], 8th edition.
    Me: Sorry but is that a textbook? We don't sell textbooks unfortunately.
    SC#2: Uh, no it's not a textbook.
    Me: .................. Okay. So it's not for a class?
    SC#2: Ye- No. It's not. Just a math book.
    Me: Okay let me "check" for you.
    [Put on hold, check on internet. Surprise! Textbook.]
    Me: Sorry we don't have it in stock.
    SC#2: But it's not a textbook!!!!!!
    Me: It's... still not here. You should try [local textbook store].
    SC#2: Oh, do they sell textbooks, too?
    Me:
    !
    "For truth is always strange; stranger than fiction." -- Lord Byron

Wow, stupid and rude. Winning combination they got there, eh? Real winners.

Question, though: Does your store go out of its way to not stock textbooks? I could certainly see why (someone buys a book for class, assumes they can sell it back at the end of the semester, for instance), but often books used as textbooks can also be good for general readers, such as my old English class's Norton's Anthology, so it seems like an odd blanket policy.
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
      Question, though: Does your store go out of its way to not stock textbooks? I could certainly see why (someone buys a book for class, assumes they can sell it back at the end of the semester, for instance), but often books used as textbooks can also be good for general readers, such as my old English class's Norton's Anthology, so it seems like an odd blanket policy.
      Pretty much it's just those really expensive textbooks that aren't sold here, like "Boring Subject, # edition" with multiple authors, like the ones they sell almost exclusively in the campus bookstores. I guess why we don't carry them is because there's usually a new edition coming out in a year or two so they can go from $100 to worthless practically overnight. I'm sure everyone who ever spent over a hundred bucks on a textbook and then couldn't give it away after the class was over knows what i mean It sucks! Also it's hard to compete with the internet price wise. But books that are used in classrooms are always good! Those Norton anthologies are great. Even though they do have editions, literature or poetry won't go out of date, really, so we can still sell it for a few bucks. And somebody will surely enjoy reading it
      !

Comment

Quoth Mnemjian View Post
        Pretty much it's just those really expensive textbooks that aren't sold here, like "Boring Subject, # edition" with multiple authors, like the ones they sell almost exclusively in the campus bookstores.
        Ah, makes sense. Personally, if I didn't want to get it from the campus bookstore, I'd get it online, since like you said, cheaper. I'd not hit up a general bookstore. So, they were rude, stupid, and really stupid.
        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

People call my library all the time asking for textbooks. I explain to them that we buy books because they are GOOD, not because they are textbooks. If they just happen to be a textbook, that's besides the point.

hey, if an English prof wants to use a John Grisham in class, then yes, we have it. And we have a paperback section of classics. But no, we don't have your 22nd edition of the physics college textbook.

Comment

y'know, I get the opposite problem, I work in a textbook store, and I get people screaming because I don't sell general books, like travel, photography, cookbooks, etc.

>.>

I've also had to hang up on rude poeple, who then called back and complained. Mnemijan, it's like you're my polar opposite on the bookseller scale. Weird...

Comment

Quoth lupo pazzesco View Post
              I've also had to hang up on rude poeple, who then called back and complained. Mnemijan, it's like you're my polar opposite on the bookseller scale. Weird...
              That is too strange! We should team up together and fight crime... er, SCs
              !

Comment

Maybe the two of you could just refer customers to each other's store:

"Oh, I'm sorry, we don't sell those. But, I know who does! Gotta warn you though, it's gonna be a bit of a drive!"

Mike
                Meow.........

Comment

Quoth JustaCashier View Post

"Oh, I'm sorry, we don't sell those. But, I know who does! Gotta warn you though, it's gonna be a bit of a drive!"

Mike
                  Some how, if they cannot tell the differences between bookstores, I don't think they'll notice the distance...
                  Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Working...
                  X