This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People, PLEASE Salt Your Walkway.

Last night I was taking a delivery to a house. I was walking up the 2 step walkway when I slipped and fell forward landing on my left elbow and forehead. Remember now I'm a 6ft 4in 323lb guy. Apparently the whole stepway was covered in a layer of slick ice. No salt/anything. Ol' lady witnessed me slipped and made sure I was ok. It seemed she was genuinely concerned about me either legally or being an actual person...

Tipped me $5 though! My left elbow still hurts a little though. No big deal now anyways.

SALT the walkways??? I am still trying to get people to shovel/clear their walkways and steps 5 days after the 5 inch snow we got.
    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Our drive and walkway is made from a type of concrete that will crack if we put salt down. But I shoveled it. And two of my neighbors' drives as well. Usually once pavement gets shoveled, it clears of ice pretty fast.
      I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

I believe there are liability issues there. If you injure yourself on someone else's property, in many case that person can be held liable, especially if it's due to negligence on their part. That's one reason having a swimming pool is such a massive insurance liability: it's not because of the risk of YOU drowning, it's because of the risk of TRESPASSERS drowning.

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
          Our drive and walkway is made from a type of concrete that will crack if we put salt down.
          Most concrete will degrade from salt exposure. Not instantly, but it will weaken--that's why I won't be putting salt on the front steps when I get them replaced. I'll use sand or cinders instead.
          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

It also depends on whether the person is in an apartment or condo where that sort of thing is supposed to be taken care of by the complex. I've been in several places where they just don't bother.
            "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
              Most concrete will degrade from salt exposure. Not instantly, but it will weaken--that's why I won't be putting salt on the front steps when I get them replaced. I'll use sand or cinders instead.
              Oddly enough, concrete is designed to crack. The reinforcing bars in concrete are there for when the weight of the concrete starts to bring it down, causing small cracks, which puts the bars into tension.

I worry about my steps chipping or spalling all the time (cracking it shouldn't do from salt, it just makes it look ugly).

Earlier today I went to the bank and almost fell on my ass leaving the ATM vestibule. Dude behind me checked to make sure I was ok. My back still hurts from catching myself. I hate ice.

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
                It also depends on whether the person is in an apartment or condo where that sort of thing is supposed to be taken care of by the complex. I've been in several places where they just don't bother.
                Or do like the fools did here. Instead of shoveling it off to the sides of the sidewalks, they packed it down instead. Would have been nice if I had had ice skates.

Granted that we don't get that much snow here, but I grew up somewhere that gets even less and even I could figure out that that was a bad idea.
                It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

I fell down in my own driveway the other day. I couldnt stand up because of the way I fell. (one foot kind of behind me, the other foot in front and the ice wouldnt let me stand without trying to make me do the splits)

Good thing my mom was there. I wouldnt let her come out of the garage to help me up. (she's not stable walking on clean, dry cement...or even carpeting in the house...uses a walker sometimes) I had her get her travel walker out of my car and she pushed it out onto the ice to where I could reach it. I used it to stand myself up and keep myself steady enough to not faceplant myself once I was able to stand up.

I hurt both hands and my shoulders (put them out to catch myself...big mistake) and my right knee...pulled my left achilles tendon because of the way my foot went. I didnt break anything, but my shoulders and hands still hurt and it's been about a week. Doesnt hurt so bad that I cant knit or crochet now.

My dad went out later that night and got a bag of salt. (he wanted the other stuff that's not as rough on the cement, but they didnt have any) We salted all the really bad spots, and the sidewalk up to and around the mailbox so the neighbors could get to it.

Hopefully no one will sue us if we end up with more ice in the driveway and someone falls.

Comment

See I can't understand those idiots. I am physically handicapped. I require a cane to walk and balance (serious car accident in 1990). And yet after it snows, sometimes while it is still snowing, I am out there. shoveling with one hand (yeah, it's small loads, but it gets done) while leaning on the cane.
                    Strangely, after the 2nd time, my neighbors, beside and across the way, are now showing up shoveling THIER walks. Nothing says lazy a** like seeing a handicapped old lady keeping her walk clean when your walk isn't and you are more capable of the work!

Comment

My husband is a pizza delivery driver, and is always complaining about people who haven't properly taken care of their driveways or sidewalks. He's fallen a time or two but nothing serious.

Comment

It's just good common sense to keep walkways and driveways clear, not only for your own safety, but for visitors (invited or not). Last thing I really want to happen is one of the crazies to come to my house to beg for a ride to the store at 2am to slip on ice and sue me.

Comment

I have a few who are trying but folks water softner salt tablets while does get rid of some ice doesn't cut it.

Comment

Quoth boringscreenname View Post
                            My husband is a pizza delivery driver, and is always complaining about people who haven't properly taken care of their driveways or sidewalks. He's fallen a time or two but nothing serious.
                            Same here. I've fallen a few times myself albeit nothing major.

Comment

Quoth PizzaTheHut View Post
                              Same here. I've fallen a few times myself albeit nothing major YET.
                              I HAVE squished pizzas and such because of a fall and come close to doing bodily damage more than once.

I ranted about this 2 months ago after a large storm hit my area

http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...ad.php?t=57527
                              Last edited by Racket_Man; 02-14-2010, 07:33 AM.
                              I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                              -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Working...
                              X