Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've never hated anyone more (ridiculously long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've never hated anyone more (ridiculously long)

This job started very well. I should have seen that as the calm before the hurricane. One branch of a company has closed up, another branch is taking their equipment and supplies, and a third branch is moving into their space and taking their furniture.

I'm working for branch two, the one taking the supplies, and our job is to move this stuff and get the area ready for branch three. Monday is great, just cleaning up the desks and getting rid of the garbage from them. Tuesday is more of the same cleaning up a couple of storage rooms. Wednesday is the easiest day, just take apart a boardroom table and a desk to get them ready for Thursday's move.

Everything is cool and laid back. The woman is difficult to deal with because she's just naturally a mean spirited person, but she's nothing I haven't put up with before, I can just laugh it off at this point. The only indication of the hell I'm about to go through is that she refuses to be specific about what is going. "It's still in negotiation, it's still being decided, there's some people who have to let her know". I just shrug this off though, I'm only here to work, a move evaluation isn't in the contract, she's the one organizing everything and setting it up. But just to be safe, I get a brief rundown of the plan. As of Wednesay at noon, here's what's going:

1 Boardroom table, 1 two-piece desk, 60-80 moving bins, a few pictures, zero computers / computer equipment, maybe a file cabinet, and a few miscellaneous items.

It's noon Wednesday, we're done, we're leaving. She's staying one more hour to label what's going. I ask to stay to make sure that I'm clear on what's going, but she refuses. Everything that's going will have a label, she doesn't want to pay for me to stay there doing nothing.

Thursday comes and this mean spirited person transforms into mega beast bitch spawned from the devil's loins. I start out at the receiving end to pick up a boardroom table that's being swapped out. I run into delay #1 because even though I'm right on time, she's nowhere to be found and nobody else in the company knows what table I'm there to pick up. I stand around for half an hour until she finally shows up and she's in an immediate snit over this. Apparently I was supposed to know what I was supposed to do, even though she had previously refused to tell me. She runs me through and shows me two boardroom tables to come apart. I ask where the second one is supposed to go given that I'm only removing one. This is possibly the dumbest thing she has ever heard in her life. Obviously the second one is to go into the second boardroom. Ummm, okay, so now I'm swapping two tables? OBVIOUSLY YES. I consider getting into an argument here, but think better of it. I get the tables apart and loaded and check out with her to let her know we're leaving. She wants to know if I got all the chairs too. Ummm, no, you didn't tell me that the chairs are going. Obviously the chairs have to go, they match the tables.

I'm ready to strangle her at this point. Being treated like an idiot and talked down to is one of my biggest pet peeves, as I'm sure it is for most people. It's particularly annoying when it's coming from someone who is a complete moron, a complete moron who thinks that her thoughts and opinions are the obvious ones that everyone in the world should know and share. Fortunately she walked away at this point, so I had a chance to vent and knew that I wouldn't have to see her for a few hours.

Adding the extra table and chairs put us an hour behind schedule, but we had factored this in. We got to the shipping end a little late rather than a little early. It's a bit more work than we thought but still a small job, everything's fine. Then we get upstairs. The rundown I had would have filled one truck, maybe a truck and a half. Here's what I was told and what we've got instead:

zero computers - 8 cpu + periphials, 12 crt monitors, 10 lcd monitors, 4 printers, 2 server towers
    60-80 moving bins - 80 moving bins + approx 100 boxes
    maybe a file cabinet - 6 file cabinets
    1 two-piece desk - 2 full 4 piece office suites
    a couple of chairs - 50-60 chairs
    1 boardroom table - 2 boardroom tables
    a few misc items - couch, loveseat, 6 side chairs, 2 coffee tables, 4 side tables, 2 bookcases, 2 shelving units, a shitload of misc. items

Basically, we're looking at 4-5 trucks rather than the 1-2 trucks that it was supposed to be. I'm immediately on the phone with the boss to see if I can get some extra help and extra trucks, no luck there. So we're on the phone with Miss Bitch letting her know. She throws a complete fit, why don't we have the manpower and trucks we need. Ummm, you only wanted one truck and we had to talk you into letting 4 guys work the job. She refuses to take any responsibility, she won't deny or confirm what she ordered and said we need. She shifts blame onto "you should have known it was this much". Ummm, you refused to tell me, it was all waiting on a decision, you said you'd take care of it. Again, it's not her responsibility, I should have known what was going on because she mentioned it. Ummm, no... "maybe, I think, that might, they'll let me know", plus a dozen other non-commitall phrases throughout the week do not amount to me being told they're going. This is to say nothing of the specifics of NO computer equipment, instead of the half truck that is going; the "couple" of chairs that multiplied to a full truckload of 50. I could have argued with her all night over this, but it would have been pointless. She was the one in total control of all planning and implementation, but this fiasco is not in any way her fault. Even if she'd take some responsibility, it's still pointless because it doesn't change the fact that the job can't be done in one night with the manpower we have. We come to a solution to do one truck tonight, and finish the job on Saturday. I ask what is needed immediately and what can wait. She tells me that the office suites and boardroom tables are the only things that are important. I triple confirm this, then let her know that I won't bring any chairs because they're awkward and take up a lot of space, I'll be bringing one cart of crt monitors, and that it will take 2-2 1/2 hours to load because I plan on packing the truck very tight to get as much out tonight as possible.

So things have been relatively smoothed out and we get to work. Things go well for the first hour, then my phone starts ringing. The first call is acceptable, she remembered one more thing that is needed for tomorrow. This is annoying because now I have to re-plan my truck loading, but hey, these things happen. Then my frustration and blood pressure hit peaks. It took over five minutes for her to explain what she wanted. She has a vision of a cabinet in her head and expects me to use psychic powers to see this vision:

Me: What do you want?
    SC: A cabinet.
    Me: Okay, you've got all kinds here, which one?
    SC: One of those cabinets.
    Me: The five highs? Four highs? Wood two highs? Metal two highs?
    SC: What??? Just one of those ones.
    Me: Okay, where is it?
    SC: Beside the kitchen and server room.
    Me: Beside where? The kitchen and server room are at opposite ends.
    SC: THAT CABINET!
    Me: I'm sorry, which one?
    SC: HHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMFFFFFF!!! The one under the desk!
    Me: The black ones under the workstations?
    SC: YEEEEEES!
    Me: Allright, no problem.
    SC: Yeah, two of those.

I slammed the phone (as much as you can slam a cell ) and I'm ready to throw it through a window when it's ringing again:

SC: How much longer will you be?
    Me: Probably another hour to get the truck loaded.
    SC: WHAT!?! It should only take an hour to get a truck loaded.
    Me: For a standard load yes, but I told you that I'm overfilling this truck, it's going to take a couple of hours.
    SC: Well how much longer will you be?
    Me: Like I said, about an hour.
    SC: Oh my god... then how long will you be here?
    Me: It will take an hour or two to offload.
    SC: I can't wait that long!
    Me: Well fine, I've got everything you need for tomorrow, we can leave now if you want.
    SC: ......
    Me: Would you like me to leave now? It will just mean a little longer on Saturday.
    SC: ......
    Me: Nancy? Are you still there?
    SC: ....... Just load up as fast as you can **slam**.

This call, and it's variations repeated itself a half dozen times over the next hour. The whole time I'm being talked down to, treated like an idiot, and treated like I'm a total screw up who created this whole mess. I don't know why she thinks that delaying me with these calls and stressing me out will expediate the process but of course I'm not a bitch like her, so I can't think like her. I can't even begin to describe my anger at the point. To be honest, it's already become a repressed memory.

We get to the receiving end and we're greeted with a face that would scare Freddy Krueger. It's so distorted into a sneering frown that I'm seriously wondering if she's having medical problems. She could have spent this waiting time getting ready for us, putting the elevator on service, labelling offices, putting up floor plans, but it was a more efficient use of her time to do nothing but antagonize me and get angry. She's decided that the most efficient way to have these items placed is to have three guys following her around and she'll let them know where everything goes piece by piece. There's no point arguing the waste of time that this is so I just put my guys in front of the firing squad, apologetically telling them they'll have to work with her. I'm the only installer there so I catch a lucky break and get to stay away from her, putting the office suites and tables together. Things seem to be going well enough, when I get pulled in:

SC: You grabbed the wrong cabinets!
    Me: Allright, sorry, which ones did you want?
    SC: Not these ones.
    Me: Okay, you said the ones under the workstations, that's what these are.
    SC: They're not the ones I wanted.
    Me: Well I'll pick the right ones up Saturday, which do you want?
    Me: Yes, I'm sorry, what are the right ones?
    SC: These ones are the wrong ones..... nevermind, I'll just use them.

Fortunately she walked away from me at this point. I was literally ready to kill her and just might have if things continued. I get back to my furniture and I finish it off just as the guys finish the offload. Things are looking up until:

SC: Okay, so now we just need the chairs for the boardrooms.
    Me: We didn't bring the chairs.
    SC: WWWWWWHHHHHHAAAATTTTT!!!!
    Me: You didn't tell me you needed them.
    SC: WE'VE GOT MEETINGS TOMORROW! OBVIOUSLY WE NEED CHAIRS!
    Me: You didn't tell me and I specifically told you that I wasn't going to bring any!
    SC: HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO HAVE MEETINGS TOMORROW!?!
    Me: Okay, look, we can run back and do a run of chairs.
    SC: How long will that take?
    Me: Chairs are easy, we can do a load and offload in about an hour and a half.
    SC: No, that's too late. I'll have to figure something else out.

I don't bother arguing from here. We've got one final thing to place and we're out:

Me: Where does the Plasma tv go?
    SC: (pointing at label, rolling her eyes, and taking a tone reserved for the dumbest of the dumb) The Jungle Room.
    Me: Thank you, believe it or not I do possess the ability to read. However, since none of the rooms are labelled, I have no way of knowing where the Jungle Room is. Would you care to let me know?
    SC: Hmmmmmmmmmffff! Down the hallway, second door on the right.

I go down the main hallway that we've been using all night, check the second office on the right, and it's a locked occupied office.

Me: Umm Nancy, sorry, that's an office and it's locked.
    SC: (without a word, stomps in the direction of the room, the opposite direction of where I went, the opposite direction of where everything else was going, and motions into a room on the left).

I once again resist the urge to kill her. We're done, we're leaving but she's got to take two final parting shots. She gives me crap for bringing the CRT monitors, she wanted the LCD's. Okay, I told you I was bringing the CRT's, you didn't say anything. However, I should have known that she wanted the LCD's. Fine, why argue. Why did I bring all these boxes of misc. supplies? Because I can't exactly stack a filing cabinet on top of a desk, boxes can go anywhere. Well she would have prefered to have more cabinets than all these boxes of junk. Again, why argue. Before I left, I asked her if I should hold onto the access card for Saturday. She says no, she wants to be there on Saturday to make sure there's no more screw ups. Must resist urge to kill.

On to Friday, my day of rest and recovery where all I've got to do is a 900 km round trip delivery. I get off to an early start and things are going well. Then that dreaded noise of my phone hits. It's Nancy, she wants to know what time we'll start on Saturday. "We had a confirmed start time of 8:00 as of last night, are you changing that?" No, she just has to confirm with the building that we can. "Ummmm, that we can?? According to you, you had it all arranged as of last night". But she didn't. She has no contingency plan in place if the building rejects her request. Fortunately my next call lets me know that they granted the request. I sign off with a friendly "okay, I'll see you there tomorrow" to which I get an affirmative grunt. One more phone call, she wants a second truck there so that there isn't another screw up like last night where she doesn't find out that there's a problem until after 11:00. If I could have reached through the phone to strangle her I would have. But since I couldn't and it's counter-productive, I make the calls to get the second truck.

Okay, so I don't have to worry about this bitch until Saturday. Now I can just concentrate on my long drive. I get to my destination with time to spare and it's just a leisurely drive back home. I've got all the time in the world so I stop for a nice lunch and hit the road slow and steady. It's 2:00 and I've got 252 km to go when the phone goes again. It's Nancy, and she wants to know what time I'm coming to see her to pick up the card. "What?!? Why do I need the card, you're meeting me on site". Where did I get that idea from? She's got things to do Saturday morning, she's only going to be at the receiving end. "NANCY! You told me three times that you'd be there on Saturday!" No she didn't. She never said such a thing. "Fine, whatever, I'm 2 and 1/2 hours out of the city right now, I'll get there as soon as I can." Well she's leaving at 4:30 and will not leave the card with anyone, so make sure I get there before then. I hightail it and make it there on time.

Saturday comes and it's a repeat of Thursday night. My phone is ringing off the hook with "how much longer", "when will you be here". She has somewhere to be at 11:00, or 12:00, or 11:30, or 11:00, or 12:00, or 12:30; I'm not sure which because this whine changed with each phone call. I could bore you with more details but it's just a repeat of the above. The only amusing note was the complete fit she through because we brought a cabinet she didn't want. "What were we thinking", "Why did you bring this", "Can't you do anything right". This only ended when we pointed out the three labels that she had placed on it. "What?!?" The THREE labels that she placed on it. Well she didn't want it. "Well you labeled it three times, it certainly looked like you wanted it". We were still wrong here but she dropped the matter.

I try my hardest to have satisfied customers. I always want them to be happy so we get repeat business. I made no such effort towards the end of this job. We were done, I confirmed there was nothing else and I walked off. This is one person that I hope to never see another job from again. Which likely dooms me to her being a regular and me being her favorite.
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Oh, evilhomer, you poor thing, having to put up with that. Just reading that made me angry on your behalf. So much drama, so much miscommunication, all totally unnecessary had the company had someone competent draft up a plan and a list of what items to be transported on what days.

Hey, Princess Nancy, maybe on your home planet everyone is telepathic and instantly knows what others want, but we Earthlings communicate with words, spoken and/or written. Didn't your alien leaders teach you this before they dropped you off on our planet?

I think that hag needs a meeting with Mr. Chipper.
    Last edited by XCashier; 02-19-2010, 06:18 PM. Reason: missspellllling ;p
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I've been known to explain 'I'm psychotic, not psychic'.

Then again, I can't get away with saying that to everyone, but I can dream, can't I?

Comment

If _ever_ a customer needed to be fired (preferably from a cannon) it would be this one.

What a whining idiot, any chance her superiors will find that out when your company's bill triples due to her inability to make a decision and, I don't know, _stick with it_?

Comment

You have a lot more patience than I do. Had that happened to me, I would have unloaded the truck outside of the building and left it all on the sidewalk for her to do herself. There is absolutely no reason for one person to treat another like this. She needs a hard lesson in humility.
          Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb. - exmocaptainmoroni

Comment

And this hosebeast and the company who's employing her were not fired as clients because....?
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
              And this hosebeast and the company who's employing her were not fired as clients because....?
              ... because they're a paying customer. This job was hourly so all the extra time was billable, that's all my boss cares about. Unbelievable rudeness to employees leading to high stress levels, who cares, as long as the bill is paid.

I haven't outright refused to work for her again, but I did warn him that I'm likely to lose it if I'm sent back. Which I'm sure will get me a line of "I'm sorry, nobody else is available."

If there's any whining about the bill, this bitch is just going to pass the blame all on to me. It's not like I'm going to be in on the meeting to justify it with the info in this post. Whatever, that's a headache for my boss. I detailed all the above to him, he gets his paycheque for dealing with this crap.

I find it funny when a company puts someone unqualified in charge like this. They want to save money by not paying for a competent person to walk through. It always ends up costing double, triple, and more by the time it's all said and done, and you wind up spending extra time as well.
              D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
              Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

Quoth evilhomer View Post
                This job was hourly so all the extra time was billable
                So The Whiny Wonder can fret, dither, whine, change her mind, add things, take them off, etc. all she wants.

"Yeah, you just keep it up lady, YOU'RE the one who has to explain to YOUR boss why something that should have cost X dollars suddenly ended up costing 3X dollars. It's certainly not me that's going to have to explain why whenever you're involved in anything it takes three times as long as it should!"

Wasn't it Brother Gatekeeper who commented on how some people just seem bound and determined to play the game of life on the "HARD" setting? And what do they get from this? Power-ups? Extra lives? A fabulous trip for two to Dover, Delaware ("The City that Means Well!") and a year's supply of Rice-a-Roni, the San Francisco Treat? Or does she gain something from the certain knowledge that whenever she enters a room everybody at least thinks, "Oh crap! What's she got her knickers in a twist over TODAY?!?"

What I wonder is how come these people, people you know EVERYBODY complains about, people who suck all the hope and joy out of any room they enter, never get thrown screaming down a well? Can't we as a nation, whatever that nation may be, do something about this?
                I have a map of the world. It's actual size.

-- Steven Wright

Comment

... because they're a paying customer. This job was hourly so all the extra time was billable, that's all my boss cares about. Unbelievable rudeness to employees leading to high stress levels, who cares, as long as the bill is paid.
                  It blows but from the company stand point you're a god. You dealt with the bitch, they get more money from her than planned.

It sucks, but customers like that probably make your bosses day.

Comment

Quoth draftermatt View Post
                    It blows but from the company stand point you're a god. You dealt with the bitch, they get more money from her than planned.
                    We _hope_ they get the extra money, any takers hosebeast will whine it's all evilhomer's fault and demand the extra charges be removed?

Comment

I think reading that post gave me an aneurysm....Ugh. What a horrible bitch.

I would have lost it the first day. Dont know how you made it through the weekend..

Comment

My entire face was twitching about half way through that. What in the name of the unholy hells is that company doing allowing a woman like that be in any sort of authority?

What are the bets that she gets the boot? I hope so. Oh I do hope so.
                        I have CDO. It's kinda like OCD, but the letters are where they should be!

After Tuesday, even the calendar goes W T F...

Comment

I would not have had the patience to deal with this. I would have blown up at her.

Comment

Quoth bsaana View Post
                            I would not have had the patience to deal with this. I would have blown up at her.
                            Three rules for dealing with people like this.

1. Document, document, document. "Hold on one moment. I'd like to write this down for us so I have a record of information that allows me to track exactly what you're asking of me." Takes very little time to do, and it will happily and gleefully infuriate people to no end. Ever see Hot Fuzz, with Nicholas Angel cheerfully writing down "what you're saying. I may need to refer to it later" and promptly infuriating a formerly smooth lawyer who thought he was all that and a bag of chips?

Phones have recording functions now; I've happily recorded a couple of conversations, then popped them into MP3 format for future reference and information retrieval.

"Okay, so you're canceling your previous request of X, Y, Z, V, Y, L, K, and ZY, and you would rather us bring Y, U, S, B, M, and H? Certainly! Give me a moment, I'll just take all of this right back at standard rates and we'll make sure you get what you want this time."

Don't cater, just do -exactly- what she asks for, and document that to the excruciating detail, then happily carry out those orders.

Then bill the company for "extra services ordered in transit" at triple time and a half. My favorite fuckery for someone who revels in the torture of people is merely to smile and cheerfully agree to carry out all of that person's orders after saying, "And you agree to the conditional terms laid out regarding changes to order?" and tagging a nice fat rider on top of it. When her company realizes her shitty attitude has a price tag, the company will find a way around using her again. Or at all.

2. Blowing up at someone like this is almost what they want. If you want to be infuriatingly nice to her, just say, "Well! I suppose that means you'll be authorizing additional charges for the extra work you've ordered. Excellent! My guys really do enjoy working overtime, it means they get a good bonus. I'll just call my boss to let him know you would like our extra service hours." If she screams "NOOOOO!" at that point, looking slightly befuddled is probably the best strategy. "No? You don't want us to do the extra work you now require? I'm concerned for your health and safety if you do this by yourself." Document again - voice recorder for face-to-face interactions. Contradicting her won't help you in the short run - just citing back -exactly- what she asked for on the first go-round will both confuse and confuddle her.

3. Take the breaks as required by law. To the full extent. Make sure to draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag out the work and notify her that you require all of your team to be physically well and handle the equipment with inordinately safe procedures. Failure to do so will constitute a breach in safety protocols. Of course, you'd never want any of your team to engage in unsafe loading or unloading, and so at least a team of four must be able to handle low loads.

Ultimately, what it boils down to is: be a patient, thick, unflappable redundant asshole who follows the rules to the very letter and will follow the rules to the letter, and then follow the rules to the very letter. It's even better if you play to her stereotype of what she thinks you are. If she thinks you're the kind of guy who does his thinking with his tongue out of his mouth, then move as slowly as possible in your mental capacities in your interactions with her.

And write. Everything. Down.

EVERYTHING.

Then submit it to your boss and say, "These are my notes from the job. I've kept copies of them for my own files." And notate the amount of time you spent speaking with her as "Meeting".

The thing is, if your boss has any sense to him at all, he'll bill the company and submit a clear per-hour breakdown of what your team did and precisely what the hourly rate for miscellaneous tasking would be, with a full description of the professional interaction. Hell, were I your boss, I'd charge $100 per hour for project coordination fees at my discretion and note that were it not for the excessive meetings, the vending fees wouldn't be so high.

I mean it, folks. Hot Fuzz had it right. The notebook is the most important tool in a person's arsenal. Write everything down as it happens and you have a mental record of exactly what went down when - something most other people won't have.

Also, if someone sees you writing something down, they get intrinsically nervous. "Why are you writing what I'm saying?" "Oh, so I can refer to it later, in the event that I need to do so."

Comment

Me: Well I'll pick the right ones up Saturday, which do you want?
                              Me: Yes, I'm sorry, what are the right ones?
                              SC: These ones are the wrong ones..... nevermind, I'll just use them.
                              See I think this is the moment where I personally would lose my cool. 'Yes I'm aware these are the wrong ones, you said that now will you tell me which ones are the CUSSING right ones?'

I hate when people expect you to be psychic. It's BS and people shouldn't have to put up with it. But they do, because that's how the world keeps spinning. I feel so bad for you dear. *offers fresh baked cookies*
                              Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
                              Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

Working...
                              X