This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A story with a twist (Long)

I'm telling you the ending first (Yes, I AM M. Night Shmalyan!): She buys $348 worth of groceries.

Anyway, closing shift tonight (surprise) just about 11 PM, the night cashier is told to go out on the lot and bring in stray carts, so there I am at self check, no other registers available.

And I'm suddenly whallopped with customers with massively overflowing carts! And everyone's pissy because the only registers open are self check. At 11 PM! Shock!

Anyway, I manage to clear out about half the line, only to get a mother and her two daughters at a self check, and Mom's pissier than anyone else around. So, obviously, I offer to scan her groceries for her. "No, no, they love to do that..." generally indicating her daughters. So I go off gallomphing, to assist other customers, and every time I hear a system alert on my hip scanner... thing... it's that lady and her daughters, and if I don't clear the errors immediately, they start bitching and moaning about the register not working, and why aren't there any open full service cashiers, and bitch bitch bitch moan... I offer again to scan their goods for them. "No, no, it's okay."

Round about this time, the night manager comes up front, summoned by an associate who had used my self checks and overheard the moaning. Manager asks me if the other cashier is available? "Not really... he was sent out to get carts, and I can't leave the area when there are customers afoot." Can you run a real register? "Not really... hardly ever used one, plus, I'm signed on to four registers already, and I had to have a manager's key to sign on to anymore than the first." In other words, really, my hands are tied currently, I can't do anything besides offer to assist...

Until I see the cashier in the vestibule outside my door, so I wander out briefly and ask him to come help clear the line at least, and mean while, I offer my scanning services to the hag a third time. Still, "No..."

It is at this point that I'm tired of dealing with her, so I just position my thumb over the error button on the hand scanner, with her register pulled up, and hit the thing every time the scanner beeps at me. "Screw it," says I. "I just want her out of my hair."

Finally, she asks for my assistance, to key in some veggies. No biggie, it is done, and I move aside as she hits pay now. All told, her damage is $385, or thereabouts. She pays $200 in cash, and the rest on credit. Is it over? Not by a long shot.

She has still been bitching as she pays, and asks me, basically, "So, your store is saying, 'It's okay to spend three hours shopping, but, when you get up front to check out, you have to do it yourself'?"

This time of night? Yes, it's not always going to happen, we usually have a cashier around until midnight, but I hear he was sick and stayed home, next latest is 11:30 to go home, and the last cashiering manager to leave told him to go out and collect carts at 11 PM. So, collect carts he did.

"You can tell them I won't be back."

See you next Tuesday. Try not being here when we're getting close to close. Late night cashiering is ALWAYS minimal! Anywhere you go, I think you'll find.

As she and her daughters are on their way out, the youngest tries to push the full shopping cart with their load of groceries. Can't see over the handle... can't manage to get any force on the cart, and starts whining to Mom about that. Mom tells older daughter to take over instead. Older daughter wants to push the miniature cart with nothing in it. Argument ensues, with Older Daughter basically screeching at Mommy Dearest that she always takes Sisters side. Mom screeches back, "She's not big enough to see over the cart, and she can't push it!" Daughter screeches something else, but by that time, they've passed beyond my range of hearing, and I can hear dogs howling in pain in the near distance. I wait for the sliding doors to shut and turn to the only customers still at my self check, and apologize for the harpy getting loose.

Later, as the clock rolled around to 1 AM, I am helping the last two customers on the self checks before I have to go (have to, not supposed to stay beyond 1:07, sue to the way the time clock rounds our hours.) they are nearly done, so I shut down the other three self checks, just to have that out of the way. As I'm reaching to shut down the last station, someone walks in.
    "Sir," say I, a bit forcefully, perhaps, but I needed to get my message across, "We're closed."
    "I just need a *garbled, sounds like a pound of hamburger*..."
    He dashes off into the store, and I, dumbfounded, can only think to call the night manager and let him know that there is a customer loose in the store, and I'm supposed to have left already. Night manager shows me how to turn off the sliding doors (which I should've been told the first closing shift I did, don't you think?) and tells me to page the store, saying it's 1:15, and we're closed. I do so, and guy comes back up in a few minutes, his arms laden with assorted things, none of which is hamburger. Luckily, nothing difficult to scan... so he finishes quickly, I shut down the last register, and skedaddle up to my locker as fast as I can... and on my way out, the night manager actually takes the time to stop me and ask my name... probably since I know him on sight, he feels it necessary to reciprocate... I like him...
    "I call murder on that!"

I have to ask why those girls were out so late when they're so young.

Rapscallion

Comment

I've had younger kids in the self check outs around midnight, always with parents, and they've always been cranky, or screamy, or what have you...
      "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post

Rapscallion
        If its not a school night, some parents will take their children shopping at whatever time it suits them. Sad but true.

Comment

Quoth Subspace_Relay View Post
          If its not a school night, some parents will take their children shopping at whatever time it suits them. Sad but true.
          Even if it is a school night. Parents don't care any more.
          Marvin: "Here I am, brain the size of a planet and they ask me to take you down to the bridge. Call that job satisfaction? 'Cos I don't."

Krispy Kreme puts the "ugh" back in "doughnuts".

Comment

Not agreeing with how the harpy treated you, but I think having just the self-checks open at such a late hour is pretty miserable. Unless your self-checks are wonderous magical things that hardly ever fail, a regular cashier can usually check out customers faster than 4 customers scanning for themselves at once. Not your fault, I blame management and scheduling. Besides, if only a regular register was open, the harpy would be howling about waiting in line. No win.
            A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
              Not agreeing with how the harpy treated you, but I think having just the self-checks open at such a late hour is pretty miserable.
              Sure, but it's not like that's a normal situation, either. Normally, there are 2 cashiers on regular lines at that point, with one getting sent out on card round-up. Unfortunately, their till-12 guy called out, so when you're short, you get what you get. *shrug*

What I want to know is what is so interesting in a grocery store that you can spend 3 hours doing your shopping?

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post

Rapscallion
                When I was younger (8 - 11ish) my mom would take me to Safeway if I was still up after SNL and we'd buy Hagen Daas bars and wander around the store.

(I loved it but we never did full-on shopping..just get the bars, wander and look at hair colors, grab a Sunday newspaper if they were out, watch any random drunks and laugh, and go home)
                A crisis is a problem you can't control. Drama is a problem you can, but won't. - Otter

Comment

Quoth JambaBamba View Post
                  When I was younger (8 - 11ish) my mom would take me to Safeway if I was still up after SNL and we'd buy Hagen Daas bars and wander around the store.

(I loved it but we never did full-on shopping..just get the bars, wander and look at hair colors, grab a Sunday newspaper if they were out, watch any random drunks and laugh, and go home)
                  Sounds like you made a lot of nice memories
                  Each one of us has a special place just like the Evergreen Forest. Enchanting, sparkling, and perfect. And, like the flowers that bloom there... fragile.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                    What I want to know is what is so interesting in a grocery store that you can spend 3 hours doing your shopping?
                    Store opened end of January, so, it may still be new to most customers.
                    "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                      For me that would be a grocery store in HELL!
                      "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Orange Bag supermarket is now getting self checkouts in the store; I can only imagine the suck that'll go with them. O_o

And yeah; at closing time, they only ever have one or two tills open and people whine about that, too. Cuz of course, the effort of actually turning up before the store closes is far too much hassle.
                        People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                        My DeviantArt.

Comment

Last night I was wishing the self-checkout was open. I was stuck behind a nice older lady who had a tube of arthritis cream that didn't ring and an overly friendly tweakette. The third string was covering and it took several minutes to get a price. Then the lady didn't believe it so the bagger was sent to pull the tag. This took several minutes. Honest. This is not SC time. And the tweakette was really being annoyingly friendly, completely ignoring the "leave me alone" vibe I was putting off. The was only the one checkstand open and I needed the groceries for breakfast.

A couple of times I took my older son when he was small to the grocery late at night. I worked swing shift and a few times he would wake up and not go back to sleep, so I'd take him to the store with me. The car ride and quiet store was usually enough to keep him chilled and get him settled back down. *Now I'm getting teary-eyed picturing him in his little footy pajamas. He starts high school next school year and wears a size 13 shoe.*
                          Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                          HR believes the first person in the door
                          Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                          Document everything
                          CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Working...
                          X