X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Theres a queue you know

I had this one today.
    Right, theres just me and one other person on the tills today, its not majorly busy but a queue is starting to form. Anyway, Im serving, and the other guy is serving. This lady comes over to the tills, and goes into the queuing system (our sob shelves with stuff on them are arranged so the customers walk between them to the tills, then leave and go back onto the rest of the shop floor). She patiently waits her turn.
    So im completing this transaction with this customer, and I notice this old lady (with a very smug expression on her face) walk right around the sob shelves, totally ignoring the queuing system, and walks straight up behind the person Im serving. I finish and say goodbye to the person, and she practically shoves past him up to my till with a snooty look on her face.
    Now let me make one thing clear, I dont tolerate queue jumping. If theres no one else waiting, its not a problem, as its a waste of time to go through the queuing system when u can just walk around to the tills the other way. However, this other woman who had queued properly had been waiting quite patiently for the past several minutes.

So I look at this woman whos standing in front of me.

Me: Queues back that way (gestures).

She looks at me, looks around, sees the other lady glaring at her, turns her nose up and walks out the shop in a huff.

I called over the lady who had been waiting (who was as nice as pie to me ), apologised for the wait, and got her order through.

Sad thing is, this is far from the first time Ive had to do this.
    Last edited by Ree; 04-28-2007, 01:31 PM.

Missed Manners

Line-jumping SCs.
    There's a special place in Hell.
    And it's at the End Of The Line.
    ~~*

"No! You can take the kids, but you leave me my monkey." - WALK HARD: THE DEWEY COX STORY

Comment

I'm pretty sure someone was going to try that with me at the self checkout at the local supermarket awhile back. There was a long line, and it curved off to the right. When I got to where the line started to curve, some woman, who looked foreign and probably would have pretended she didn't speak English had I tried to call her on what she was doing, tried to get in line from the left. In other words, she was trying to jump into the middle of the line, and it looked like she was going to try to cut right in front of me. I made sure not to leave enough space between myself and the person next to me for her to jump in. The person behind me apparently figured out what she intended to do, because they did the same thing.

Once she realized no one was going to let her cut in line, she got this pissy look and walked away.
      Sometimes life is altered.
      Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
      Uneasy with confrontation.
      Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth IMAPseudonym View Post
        Anyways, on to the story. I was doing some last-minute shopping the other day and I had a few small things and the store was insane, of course. I was waiting in line with several other people when this woman struts past the several people standing behind me, and tries to bull her way between me and my friend, who is also buying things and is in line ahead of me.
        That had me snickering throughout the whole story! That's a classic! I'm sure she won't be cutting in line for awhile (she probably won't break the habit though). Isn't nice to be off the clock and totally make fun of an SC like that?
        This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

Hell, I like to mess with people at work!

In our store, we always ask people to form up into one queue. So, the set up for my store is as follows- I am at station 1, so the line forms basically in front of me. a manager sent my coworker to station 2, she calls next.
          I am helping one person, she is helping another.
          Well, people were starting to bunch up, so I politely asked everyone to "Please form one line that way. Then there will be less confusion."
          Every single person complies, except 1 guy. He decides he's going to form a second queue.
          Well, the woman my co-worker was helping was taking forever- she needed some extra customer service...nothing horrible to deal with, just something extra that she needed. That's why there's one queue... only one line to move! Well, since Rude Guy decided to wait in his own line- he got to wait forever!!! I just kept taking customers from the ONE queue that they had all so nicely formed when asked...And completely ignored him even though he was actually next. Jerkwad. stand in line like I asked you to, you could have been done 15 mins ago! I think I went through 4 people before my coworker got finished with that one person.
          I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

Also when there one till open and then they start lining up behind the CLEARLY UNUSED till and magically expect someone to come over and serve them
            V-Con 2009 and Anime Evolution 2010

Comment

Quoth Demonoid Phenomenon View Post
              And it's at the End Of The Line.
              "Because OBVIOUSLY you're WAY too important to stand in line with the rest of us peasants!"

Breathing is so over-rated anyways.

Quoth FemmeAnime View Post
              Also when there one till open and then they start lining up behind the CLEARLY UNUSED till and magically expect someone to come over and serve them.
              They're magicians, and secretly practicing their creature summoning skills in inconspicuous places.
              Last edited by Strikesfirmly; 04-24-2007, 03:05 AM. Reason: Its a secret.
              "There are times in your life when you'll have to eat crow. Actually, you don't have to eat it-just hold it in your mouth long enough until nobody's watching, and then spit it out."

Comment

but I have a feeling that that woman will think twice about ever cutting in line again.
                Suuuure she will. I bet the only thing she learned from that interaction is to make sure she doesn't butt in front of theater majors.
                "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth FemmeAnime View Post
                  Also when there one till open and then they start lining up behind the CLEARLY UNUSED till and magically expect someone to come over and serve them
                  I think this is the biggest pet peeve i have at my job. Not a day goes by where that doesn't happen. What, do they think if they stand there long enough, cash register fairies will materialize out of nowhere and ring them up?
                  Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

Quoth Strikesfirmly View Post

They're magicians, and secretly practicing their creature summoning skills in inconspicuous places.
                    Ah, so that explains it. It all makes sense now.
                    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

Best scene from Dead Like Me.

Ruben is in line at the Post Office. Some snooty housewife jumps the line to start yammering with her friend. He steps up to her and asks "Is everyone here an asshole?". I forgot exactly what her response was but his reply to it was "So it's just you then?". She replies with "I have kids in the car." Ruben: "So, he has 10 minutes on the meter, she has a job interview, he's on his lunch break and I have a cake in the oven. We all have a finite amount of time. And, stop using your kids like that".

Non if this is verbatim. I'm gong from memory.
                      Proud to be a Walmart virgin.

Comment

Quoth katie kaboom View Post
                        do they think if they stand there long enough, cash register fairies will materialize out of nowhere and ring them up?
                        Those damn fairies are stealing all the jobs!!! Soon there will be none left for all the humans!
                        V-Con 2009 and Anime Evolution 2010

Comment

Quoth Mark Healey View Post
                          Ruben is in line at the Post Office. Some snooty housewife jumps the line to start yammering with her friend. He steps up to her and asks "Is everyone here an asshole?". I forgot exactly what her response was but his reply to it was "So it's just you then?". She replies with "I have kids in the car." Ruben: "So, he has 10 minutes on the meter, she has a job interview, he's on his lunch break and I have a cake in the oven. We all have a finite amount of time. And, stop using your kids like that".
                          I was thinking of this exact same scene as I was reading through this thread and I think you got it almost perfect.
                          I used to be disgusted... Now I'm just amused

Comment

Quoth katie kaboom View Post
                            What, do they think if they stand there long enough, cash register fairies will materialize out of nowhere and ring them up?

alot of people where i work seem to not realize that i work at the photodesk (despite the giant signs and printing equipment), and not the cash. yes, i have a till, but for the lab.

at least 10 + times a day while i am away from the desk or at the computer used to run the machines, people will come up, drop a load on the counter and STARE O_O.

i hate being stared at and ignore them until they finally bother to ask if i am open. when i tell them that i am the photodesk, most of the time they tell me to ring them up anyway because heaven forbid they wait through a line 1 deep.

but i haveta do it, because management sux.

*banghead*
                            Siead

Hobby Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                            X