This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I don't believe you"

First post (but likely first of many - you'll see why)

I get this a lot for some reason. A little background: I'm in the mountains in a tourist area. We have camping, climbing and hiking in the summer and skiing/snowplay in the winter. 95% of the time I'm dealing with tourists.

The most recent was a van load or two of people. I was literally walking back from stocking the bathroom with toilet paper and towels when they came in and formed their line. I guess the first person in the restroom didn't see, at first, that there was paper in the dispenser and called out. As the news made it's way down the line, the lady obviously in charge of everyone was at the counter asking about it.
    Me: "I just put some in there"
    Lady: "But what if there's not?"
    Me: "There is"
    Lady: "But what should they do if there isn't?"
    Me: (after going through this at least two more times, get more specific for her) "I was just in there right before you came in. I, myself, put paper in the dispenser. It's in there"

She still didn't believe me despite the fact that by that point, a couple of them had used the restroom with no problems.

Lady: "I better go see"
    Me:

Another one I had was two ladies who were looking for the place they bought a blanket the year before. We used to display and sell similar blankets and rugs outside the building during the summer but hadn't for the last 3 years.

Them: "We bought it last year it was (goes on to describe it)
    Me: "Well we don't have them anymore but it's been over 3 years since we sold them. Are you sure it was this area?"
    Them: "Yes it was here. But you used to have that Indian TeePee, where is that"?

Now I know where they bought the blanket last year, 35 miles or so up the highway is a place with an Indian TeePee and blankets and rugs are a staple all year long.
    I tell them this and they actually argue with me! I couldn't believe they were telling me I was wrong!
    This is where being an owner comes in quite handy when I don't care if I make them mad after they've ticked me off:
    "Does the fact that this is a family owned business and I have been here, living and working for over 6 years now (at the time), knew the previous owner and know for a fact there has never been a TeePee here at anytime in the last 15 years help you at all? Do you honestly think I'm wrong?"
    One of the women agreed with me, the other left still insisting I was wrong. Wish I could have been in the car with them when they passed the TeePee a half hour later.

And this last one, I didn't get but my mother-in-law did. I love the way she handled it.

Guy: "How much farther to X?" (ski resort)
    MIL: "About 2 hours"
    Guy: "What! It can't be that far"
    MIL: "Well, it's on Highway 'Z' and you're on Highway 'Y', you have to go..." (proceeds to give directions)

Guy argues with my mother-in-law that he's not on Highway 'Y' that he knows damn well he's on Highway 'Z' and it has to be just up the road. The argument goes on a good 5 minutes when my mother-in-law finally tells him,
    "You know what, you're right. I don't know what I was thinking. Keep going East and look for (non-existant road) you'll be there in like 10 minutes. Sorry about that."

Scares me how often I see stupid people.

"You'd feel a Hell of a lot better if you'd just rip into the occasional customer."
    ~Clerks

Quoth SuperB View Post
    Guy argues with my mother-in-law that he's not on Highway 'Y' that he knows damn well he's on Highway 'Z' and it has to be just up the road. The argument goes on a good 5 minutes when my mother-in-law finally tells him,
    "You know what, you're right. I don't know what I was thinking. Keep going East and look for (non-existant road) you'll be there in like 10 minutes. Sorry about that."
    Well, gosh, don't you realize that the visitors surely know more than you lowly peons; after all, you only live there!

[/sarcasm]

Never argue with the locals as to where the landmarks are. Sheesh.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth SuperB View Post
      That's a beautiful way to end that conflict, though I would have said something longer than 10 minutes, like half an hour or so. Just to screw them up for irritating you.
      No good news is good bad news

Comment

I had one nitwit want to insist that Kinko's was a printer. He couldn't understand why we couldn't print on envelopes, because we were, after all, a PRINTER, right?

Wrong.

Kinko's the Copy Center is a, you guessed it, copy shop. Big difference.

No, no, am I nuts? It's a printer! Printers can do envelopes, I don't know what I'm talking about!

I mean, I just WORK THERE, right?

Well, we all know how it works. If they just keep insisting they are right, reality will re-shape itself they way they want.

Comment

You mean like the lady at B&N that insisted that there was an upstairs equipped with a free copy machine? (The store was open for maybe a month, and like most B&Ns - it was a one level store, and even if it were 2 levels - WHY on earth would they have a free copymachine in a bookstore??????)

Or the woman who started a huge arguement with me b/c she said the cafe used to be where the childrens department is and vice versa? Sure lady, we get bored and decide to rip out all the plumbing, sinks, gas and everything and swap the departments overnight magically just to piss you off.

Or the people that don't belive me when I say "Limited Edition". That means it's Limited. When I told you 4 weeks ago we would not have it, and you decided you'd come back 5 days before Christmas to get it, and now you're pissed at me? No, screaming at me and rolling your eyes and complaining and demanding will not make the LIMITED EDITION magically birth itself out of my ass for you to buy simply because you demand it to be so.

Back OT - I had a lady walk out of the store muttering to her child (loud enough for me to hear her as was her intention) about poor customer service b/c there were no towels in the ladies room. So I go to check, and the paper towels are competely full in BOTH the ladies and mens room. WTF?

Gah.
          If you are thinking to yourself, "Hmmm, should I post this?" it should probably go HERE.

Comment

Working...
          X