This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• you mean you aren't psychic?

I was reading through old threads and found the celebrity one and thought of this story. Now, I've been out of the service industry for about two years now. I miss it some days, but others? Yeah, not so much.

(oh yeah, I tend to be a long winded story teller so bear with me)

It was St. Patrick's Day, 2005. automatically a big day for drinkers. I was working in a sports bar in Atlanta so the day was even bigger for us -- not only was it St. Patrick's Day, it was the opening day of the NCAA tournament. Meaning that games started about noon and would go all day and night for the next four days. And we had every single one.

We had people showing up and claiming tables at 11 (as soon as we opened) and telling us that they were going to be there all day. There were two of us working lunch that would be there all day, so we took these people. By 3:30, all the tables were full, the bar was packed, the rails were packed and it looked like it would be standing room only for the rest of the night. Not to mention the fact that we were short staffed so we were running the front with three waitresses and two bartenders (let me put it this way -- on a regular night, when we MIGHT have a third of the number of people we had that night, we would have at least four waitresses and usually 2 or 3 bartenders). All that to set up this little gem.

About 6:30, in walk two players for the Atlanta pro football team and their army of people (okay, so it wasn't an army, but there were about 10 of them all told). I happen to by the door walking by after clearing a table near the front and I tell them to "find a spot if you can and I'll come get your some drinks as soon as I drop these dishes". I run to the kitchen and come back and the group is still standing right where they were when I first saw them.

So I go back to them, throw them my best smile and the following ensues. (this is from the best of my memory)

RM: your truly, the reformed waitress
    FP1: football player 1
    FP2: football player 2
    RF: random friend

RM: What can I get you guys to drink?
    FP1: We want to watch the games.
    RM: Well, we have all the games on, just find a spot where you can see the one you want.
    FP2: We want a table.
    RM: As you can see, we're a bit full, but you can sit on these couches and I can bring you some drinks here until a table opens up.
    FP1: Why isn't there a table for us?
    RM: Well, people have been coming in to watch the games since 11 this morning. We haven't had a table free up since before 4. But if you want to wait, I'll be sure to tell you the moment I see one.
    FP1: (pointing to a large group that's been there since noon) Make them leave.
    RM: I'm sorry they've been here since noon. I won't make them leave.
    RF: Do you know who you're talking to? This is [I'm not naming names] and they play for the Falcons.
    RM: I know who you are, but we don't have any tables open, I'm sorry. You are more than welcome to wait.
    FP1: F**k this s**t. You should have known we would be here and kept a table. We'll go somewhere else.

Yeah, cause I'm psychic. I should magically know that you are going to be coming in at 7 pm on St. Patrick's Day on the opening weekend of NCAA March Madness and want a table. And I should keep it open. Right.

How about I magically know the lotto numbers too?
    "The things that I remember best - those are the things I wasn't supposed to do…."

I'm coming back as a Schooner Wharf Bar dog.

"I'm sorry, sir, but you're confusing the meaning of "Psychic" with that of "PsychOTIC".

Comment

RF: Do you know who you're talking to? This is [I'm not naming names] and they play for the Falcons.
      yes, i do, a pair of self important assninjas and their hanger-on; you have two choices: wait, just like everyone else or leave. doesn't matter which to me.

i'm not a football fanATIC, so their 'status' would mean exactly zero to me; oh, you're famous, well, you can be famous RIGHT HERE. *indicates their current seats*
      look! it's ghengis khan!
      Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth chainedbarista View Post
        oh, you're famous, well, you can be famous RIGHT HERE. *indicates their current seats*
        Oooooh, I like that one. I might have to remember that. You know, if I ever get back into service.
        "The things that I remember best - those are the things I wasn't supposed to do…."

I'm coming back as a Schooner Wharf Bar dog.

Comment

The question that begs to be asked: if this is a fancy-pants NFL guy, how come he doesn't have his own home theater to watch? I'm sure he even has a dorm fridge with beer in it, too. What a putz.

Comment

Working...
          X