This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hang up your PHONE!!!! (maybe long)

Last night we were pretty busy and there was only two of us. There was a woman who entered the store with her cel phone glued to her ear. She was one of those people who obviously could not do anything else while on her phone. She quickly flitted around the store while having a loud conversation- you know those cel phone users who walk around really fast barely glancing at anything as if they were on speed but really they're just on cel?

So, my CSR was out on the floor for some reason and she asked cel woman if she was finding everything okay? It was quite obvious she was not finding anything okay. Instead of saying, "Fred, hold on," and then asking my CSR where the movie she wanted was she sneered at her like she was an idiot for interupting her precious call and walked off.

Forward in time about 5 minutes>

CSR and I are both at the registers with a LONG line of people- ya know people actually waiting their turn?

Cel woman walks up next to MY register and starts yelling OVER my transaction at my CSR- yes, her freking cel phone STILL glued to her ear and she's STILL talking to whoever:

CelWoman: "EXCUSE ME!" *staring at CSR* "So, yeah... blah, blah" to person on other end of call.
    CSR: *continues transaction with polite customer who waited in line*
    CW: "EXCUUSE MEEE!"...."blah, blah, blah"
    CSR: *still doing transaction*
    CW: blah, blah, blah.... EXCUSE ME MISS!!!..blah, blah.. EEEXXXCCUUSSE ME!... blah, blah..."
    CSR: *finishes transaction*
    CSR: *levels an evil glare at cel woman with a gritted teeth smile* "Yes?"
    CW: "blah, blah... *blurts movie title that sounds like All The King's Men* blah, blah..."
    CSR: "I have that one right here."

So, cel woman gets in line and then when she gets to the front the CSR gives her All The King's Men.

CW: "blah, blah... NO! I said A FEW GOOD MEN! blah, blah..."
    CSR: *is now smiling AND speaking through a gritted teeth smile*
    "Okay. That's in Drama- the computer says there's one copy available."
    CW: still blahing stands there and stares at CSR
    CSR: stares back
    The line of people is now wrapped back into the retail DVD section- they are a bit annoyed with cel woman as well because it took forever for her to get through simply SAYING she wanted A Few Good Men. I could feel the anger from the crowd... people were glaring at the back of her head.
    CW: "blah, blah, blah... Well? Go get it for me!"
    CSR: "I'm sorry but I have to continue with ringing people out here at the counter. It's in Drama."
    CSR: "I can help the next person in line!"
    CW: *storms off and flits around the store not really looking at anything because her mouth never stopped running*

CW:*returns and cuts in line about half way up* There are more evil stares from the people who are waiting in line but I think no one said anything because it was quite obviously pointless to try speaking to this moron.

CW: "blah, blah... EXCUSE ME!... blah, blah, EXCUSE ME! blah, blah... I can't fiiiinnnnd it! blah, blah..." Yes, now she's whining ANd being a jerk at the same time.

Me: "It's in the Drama section under F for Few."

She either ignores me OR doesn't hear me, whatever.

CSR: "Fine, let me finish this transaction and I'll go get it for you."
    CW: "blah, blah... Can't you get it now?"
    CSR: "No, I'm busy with this customer's purchase now."
    CW: "NEVER MIND! blah, blah..."
    *storms out*

Someone in line said: "Oh, thank GOD!"

The guy I was ringing through was a regular who said sarcastically, "Gee, guess she was in a hurry."
    Me: "Maybe if she had hung up her damn cel phone for two seconds she could have actually found what she was looking for."
    Him: "Now she's probably out on the road attempting to DRIVE! Can you imagine?"
    "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
    HellGate: London

Now she'll probably have road rage or something.

*SCREECHBIGEXPLOSION*
    "EXCUSE ME! I'm trying to merge without looking here! So anyway...blah blah"
    "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

People like that are *exactly* why I can't stand most cellphone users. Nothing annoys me more in stores...is when I'm looking at things, and I can hear some loud idiot 52 aisles away is talking about the "nasty rash that won't go away."

Why is it they think the rest of us want/need to know about that sort of thing?
      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

One of these days I want to make an EM device that jams cell phone calls just enough to have it drop the call. Yes the FCC will be on me really quick, but it will be so worth it to use it once on a person like that. Actualy you can buy devices like that, though not in the US.
        "Magic sometimes sounds like tape." - The Amazing Johnathan

Comment

there are ways to block cell phone calls just not a portable method which are legal in the u.s as far as i know, i saw a news article about a store where cell phone reception did not exist inside of it at all due to how it was built
          man i wish my movie theater was like that, im pretty sure i've had that woman before or at least a relative of hers

Comment

Passive EM shield

Quoth Ryu View Post
            there are ways to block cell phone calls just not a portable method which are legal in the u.s as far as i know, i saw a news article about a store where cell phone reception did not exist inside of it at all due to how it was built
            man i wish my movie theater was like that, im pretty sure i've had that woman before or at least a relative of hers
            It's called a Faraday Cage. Basically a large amount of metal in a grid (or solidly encased, hmmmm ) will disrupt most EM signals. The range it blocks and how efective it is is based on the size of the opening and if there is a current running through the "cage". This is why most high rises and office buildings have poor reception, they steel skeleton is absorbing a significant amount of signal. You can read more on Wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage
            "The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents."
            - Nathaniel Borenstein

Comment

Amongst my family and friends I am known as the one who does not put up with people's crap..ever.

Knowing me I probably would have tapped her on the shoulder and told her to "either get off her damn phone or get the f**k out of line" in those exact words.

I have done it before and most likely will do it again.
              www.myspace.com/queenofevrything

Comment

Yep a big metal box will definately stop a cel phone signal. I live in a mobile home and to use my mobile I either hae to leave it sitting near a window pointing towards the tower (Yes I know where my company tower is located relative to my house) or go outside. Although since Cingular switched to GSM things have gotten a little better.

And people like that annoy me too. And people look at me like I'm nuts when i say there should be a mandatory etiquette class in schools for people like that.
                Last edited by Rahmota; 12-22-2006, 11:15 PM.

Comment

I would have told her "I'll gladly help you ma'am if you will kindly get OFF your phone for a moment."

Just what the hell would be so important you couldn't call back in a couple of minutes?

Comment

Quoth Ryu View Post
                    i saw a news article about a store where cell phone reception did not exist inside of it at all due to how it was built

Areas of my store are like that...or maybe it's just due to some providers.
                    Unseen but seeing
                    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                    3rd shift needs love, too
                    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Too bad all the spots where almost every cell phone gets no reception are out in the boonies or bum egypt. Too bad there can't be a place in the middle of nowhere where all cell phone calls are dropped and no one will get a bar of reception back until they are out of the store.
                      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I wait tables and one of my worst pet peeves is a customer who can't get off their stupid cell phone long enough to order! Then they have the nerve to look at me like I'm interupting them!

Comment

Here's one:

Last week, I had a customer come up to the register, talking on her phone. I have to ask the customer if they would like the product of the month, if they need a gift reciept, birthdate if they are purchasing cigs, etc. The standard stuff. I find it just easier just to ask the customers these questions regardless if they are on the phone or not.

After the transaction was over, the lady got off her phone. She looked at me and said, "Don't you just hate it when people talk to you when you are on the phone?"
                          At the end of the day, customers are NOT always right.

Comment

"I wouldn't know, because I don't use my phone when I'm shopping/at a restaurant/whatever/wherever."
                            Unseen but seeing
                            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                            3rd shift needs love, too
                            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Oh dear, dumb, sucky, and whiny while on the cell. A trifecta.

Comment

Working...
                              X