Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i don't just answer the phones (rant -- long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i don't just answer the phones (rant -- long)

I answered the phone when you called today. I answered the phone when you called last week. I probably even answered the phone if you called last year.

I can answer most simple questions you have, so please, when I ask if I can help you, try and let me help you. If you need a phone number, a fax number, an address, an e-mail address, directions, have a questions about if a piece of correspondence or a motion or pleading has been sent, any thing of that sort, you will be transferred back to me, so please, save yourself the time and the hassle.

If I ask for your name, I am not trying to dig into your personal life. I really don’t care, honestly. But my lawyers like to know who they’re talking to. They don’t like to be told “There’s a male on line 4". If I tell them that, they will most likely say “I’m busy, take a message” and you will begin that endless game of phone tag that they couldn’t care less about but you so obviously hate. Please, just give me your name and let’s get this over with.

Same if I ask if they will know what this is regarding. You may think that your case is oh so very important and that every one in the world should and would know who you are and what it is you “supposedly” did, but unless you have actually spoken to one of our lawyers, they will not know who you are or what is going on. We cannot read minds, we cannot see the future and we have no earthly idea who you are nor, in all honesty, do we really care.

Each of my lawyers has over 25 clients at any given time. We have 15 lawyers. That is, at the absolute minimum, 325 clients at any given moment. Look at that again. Three hundred and twenty five. I try very hard to remember all the clients, but I am only one person. Please do not get upset with me if I do not recognize your voice or your name right away, and please do not scream at me if I do not know your phone number. I can barely remember my own phone number some days, much less 3 or 4 separate phone numbers for each of 325 clients. I am only one person.

Yes I am female. Yes I have a boyfriend. Yes I have a child. No I do not want to date you. No I do not want your number. No I do not want to talk to you about my baby or my boyfriend or my family or my life. I don’t really care about yours either. I don’t want to know about who you had sex with last night or how many people you are going to “have your way with” this weekend. It kind of creeps me out. You will have to come into the office and I will have to see you face to face. Do not make it any more weird and awkward than it already is. You are accused of doing something very wrong to be our client. Do not make me more wary of you than I am to begin with.

We, the assistants, are the first line of judgment in this firm. The person you want to be your lawyer will ask me if I think you are guilty or if I think we should take the case. It you are a complete and total jerk to me, I’m not going to want to work with you. This means your case will either be turned down or the lawyer will charge you a much higher fee than he might have, to cover my having to put up with your sorry ass.

I do not speak Spanish, Japanese or Korean and I sure as hell and anything do not speak Eubonics. Do not ask me where your lawyer “be at” and do not expect me to understand you if your mouth is so full of chewing tobacco that you sound like you’re speaking gibberish. Learn to speak English and speak it clearly.

I went to school. I have a degree. I happen to like the law and I don’t want to be a lawyer. Do not assume that because I am an “assistant” I am a) sleeping with the boss (that’s disgusting – he’s married with two grandkids and is old enough to be my grandfather!), b) stupid or uneducated (just trust me on that one) or c) a sex object for anyone that comes in. I work just as hard, if not harder, as the lawyers on every case we handle. I know what’s going on in them better than the lawyers do sometimes. Trust me on this one.

Don’t piss me off. Be nice to me on the phone. Your life is in our hands here, don’t you want us to want to help you?

(sorry. needed to rant for a few minutes. Can you tell I'm dealing with MY kind of SCs? *sigh* I hate my job)
    "The things that I remember best - those are the things I wasn't supposed to do…."

I'm coming back as a Schooner Wharf Bar dog.

Don't sugarcoat it. How do you REALLY feel?
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Reformed, I did the legal secretary thing for a while too, and I just want to add this one:

Just because you are a pro bono client does not give you the right to scratch your dandruff into a pile on my desk, look at it, look at me looking at it, and continue doing it. It's gross and that's why your attorney makes you ride in the back of his pick up truck for your court dates.

Comment

Quoth Shacky Whacky View Post
        Just because you are a pro bono client does not give you the right to scratch your dandruff into a pile on my desk, look at it, look at me looking at it, and continue doing it. It's gross and that's why your attorney makes you ride in the back of his pick up truck for your court dates.

:ahem: EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! !!!!!!!!

Now that that's out of my system, I also forgot this one.

When you are on trial for child molestation and have admitted to the lawyers and myself that you are guilty, please do not touch my pregnant stomach and tell me you would love to baby sit for me. You will never be in the same room with my child. If it were up to me, you'd be UNDER the jail for the rest of your life.
        "The things that I remember best - those are the things I wasn't supposed to do…."

Comment

Did he get his arm back with a stump where his hand used to be?

Forget the jail just dump him down an abandoned mine shaft.
          Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Quoth reformedwaitress View Post
            When you are on trial for child molestation and have admitted to the lawyers and myself that you are guilty, please do not touch my pregnant stomach and tell me you would love to baby sit for me. You will never be in the same room with my child. If it were up to me, you'd be UNDER the jail for the rest of your life.
            YIKES! No kidding! Forget "under the jail", just introduce him to Mr. Chipper and let him fertilize the jail lawn!
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Haha. The woodchipper, a la FARGO. Great Movie. Gotta watch it now.

Comment

Each of my lawyers has over 25 clients at any given time. We have 15 lawyers. That is, at the absolute minimum, 325 clients at any given moment. Look at that again. Three hundred and twenty five.
                Er?
                25X15=/=325.
                X10
                __

X25
                __

250+125=375

Which makes the situation even worse. A whole 50 clients that were undiscovered...
                Man, you guys certainly must be busy around there.
                Just pointing it out. No offense meant.
                "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Shacky Whacky View Post
                  I really shouldn't come on here when I'm eating...

When you are on trial for child molestation and have admitted to the lawyers and myself that you are guilty, please do not touch my pregnant stomach and tell me you would love to baby sit for me.

Now that I've got that out of my system... WHAT IS WRONG WITH THAT PERSON?!?!?!? (Actually, that reminds me of a family story, but I won't go into details...)
                  Unseen but seeing
                  oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                  There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                  3rd shift needs love, too
                  RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Criminal defense firm?
                    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                    HR believes the first person in the door
                    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                    Document everything
                    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Jee.Sus.Christ. That guy actually wanted to touch your belly? That's one shudder that is not going away.
                      -"One ring to rule them all!"-Elias
                      -Ask yourself, "WWRKHTSCCJ:TMD?"

Comment

Quoth BusBus View Post
                        Jee.Sus.Christ. That guy actually wanted to touch your belly? That's one shudder that is not going away.
                        You'd be amazed the number of people who would just assume it was okay to touch my stomach when I was pregnant. I was weird about letting my FAMILY touch me, I'm sure not letting some random criminal client touch me! (But that's a rant for another day. )

And yes, criminal defense firm.

Comment

Working...
                        X