This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clerks moments and some ranting

So I've had some serious "Clerks." moments.

We sell pizzas - either by the slice or by the entire pizza. There's a HUGE sign right over my head that says "Pizza slices - $2.99 or 2 for $5!", with another sign next to it that says "Large 16 inch pizza with up to 3 toppings - $12.99!" (it actually rings up at $10.99 and we don't give a shit how many toppings are on it).

At least once a day, usually as I'm handing someone a slice of pizza - "Do you sell pizzas by the slice?"

Today I had three people who walked right up to me - at the pizza counter under the big sign that says PIZZA! - and asked me where they should go to order a pizza.

And I seem to be getting the guys who've quit smoking - I've had a few people just bark "PEPPERONI!" at me while gesturing at the (uncooked) dough. I ask them if they want a slice or a pizza - they just yell PEPPERONI! again. I did have a little fun with one of them - he finally pointed at a pepperoni pizza and barked PEPPERONI again. I nodded and smiled and said quite happily "Yes, it's a pepperoni pizza!" He barked pepperoni again, after I asked him if he wanted a slice or a pizza. He FINALLY responded with "Two slices!", still completely oblivious to why I was messing with him (in fact he probably didn't realize I was having a little fun at his expense).

I take full advantage of the face high glass wall between myself and the customers - they can't hear what I'm saying unless I practically yell. Of course, even if I had decent hearing, I couldn't hear them very well anyway through it. I'm getting good at reading lips.

Now I can understand people walking up to me and asking me where some items are at - after all, it's a grocery store. But walking up to me and asking me specific ingredients in, say, a beer... (beer is sold at the opposite end of the store).

The worst ones - we keep 3 to 5 pizzas on display, and sell slices out of them. Yes, we do run out occasionally - it's usually just 1 or 2 people working in pizza, and after I get a rush, I have to cook several pizzas to replenish what we call "the line" (the display). It's irritating as hell when someone yells "HEY! Why isn't there any <x> pizza? When are you going to have more?" - while I'm holding said pizza in my hands about to put it in the oven and/or pulling it out of the oven to put it on the line. They get really pissed when I tell them it'll be 15 to 20 minutes until their obscure Jerk Chicken and Spinach (etc) pizza will be ready since I actually have to, you know, cook it. We'll put almost anything in the grocery store (within reason - I'm not putting, say, trash bags on one) on a pizza for you if you're buying a whole pizza, but if you're only getting 1 slice, we can only go so far to accommodate you.

The best lines - "Papa John's can cook a pizza in 6 minutes!". I respond with "I know, I worked for them for 7 years - they use a forced air convection oven that burns the outside and leaves the inside doughy, we use an old fashioned brick oven that will give you a far better pizza. I can't speed it up, it's already over 600 degrees".

All in all though, it's been one of the better retail jobs I've had. Since we're a mainly upper end store, and I'm only a cook, I don't have to deal with the stupidity that the cashiers get.
    Last edited by bean; 12-28-2006, 07:09 AM.

Haha! For some reason the pepperoni guy gave me mental images of the seagulls from Finding Nemo!

"Mine. Mine? Mine."

Hahahahahahahahaha!!!
    www.myspace.com/queenofevrything

Comment

What if a person provided their own trash bag as a topping?
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth bean View Post
        I've had a few people just bark "PEPPERONI!" at me while gesturing at the (uncooked) dough. I ask them if they want a slice or a pizza - they just yell PEPPERONI! again.
        That's when you pick up an individual piece of pepperoni topping and hand it to him. "Here you go, sir, here's a pepperoni, enjoy!"
        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
        My LiveJournal
        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

PEPPERONI!

To me that would be like some yahoo wandering in to the lobby and barking "HOTEL ROOM!"

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
            That's when you pick up an individual piece of pepperoni topping and hand it to him. "Here you go, sir, here's a pepperoni, enjoy!"

Either that or tell them "he's not here, he has the day off!"

Comment

Or calling my office and yelling "INSURANCE!" into the phone.

And BeckySunshine stole my joke...man, I have got to be faster on the draw around here. Although fellow 80s survivors may have also acquired the mental picture I got from this...Murdock from "The A-Team" shouting "I want my traaaaaash BAGS!!" through the glass at our Bean.

- Puck, creeping back into her obscure little corner
              Not all who wander are lost.

Comment

Your pepperoni guy reminded me of the banana man I had when I worked at Kroger. He was just so insistent that his bananas stay off of the metal stopper on the conveyor belt. I just had to give him a ++(insert "pat on the head" smiley here) look of "ok, you have your bananas where you want them!"

What's your pizza place called? if I ever head up that far north I may try to visit it if it's not a chain.
                ~*~"If your gift is that of serving others, serve them well. If you are a teacher, do a good job of teaching." -Romans 12:7~*~

Comment

Quoth Getoutofmylobby View Post
                  PEPPERONI!

To me that would be like some yahoo wandering in to the lobby and barking "HOTEL ROOM!"
                  I've had that happen so many times

SC: Room please
                  Me: What kind of room do you want?
                  SC: Non smoking
                  Me: The whole hotel is non smoking. Which type of room will you be requiring
                  SC: Upstairs
                  Me: We have a room w/one bed, two beds, or a suite
                  SC: I'd like a room upstairs
                  My Horror Blog

Cinemania

Comment

Quoth TruthHurts View Post
                    Me: The whole hotel is non smoking. Which type of room will you be requiring
                    Me: *gesticulating wildly* You know? One with... four, maybe five, walls... a ceiling, shag carpet... no linoleum... A television, preferably with cable...
                    I asked for a mai tai, and no salt... this is a margarita, and there's huge chunks of salt...
                    "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth kerrisan View Post
                      What's your pizza place called? if I ever head up that far north I may try to visit it if it's not a chain.
                      "That far up north"? I'm in Texas, everything is north of here.

I work at the pizza counter in a Whole Foods Market (upscale natural/organic grocery store)

Comment

I could put strictnine in the guacamole!
                        I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Quoth PuckishOne View Post
                          Or calling my office and yelling "INSURANCE!" into the phone.

And BeckySunshine stole my joke...man, I have got to be faster on the draw around here. Although fellow 80s survivors may have also acquired the mental picture I got from this...Murdock from "The A-Team" shouting "I want my traaaaaash BAGS!!" through the glass at our Bean.

- Puck, creeping back into her obscure little corner
                          OH. MY. GOD. I don't know which is worse, you mentioning that or the fact that I think of that particular episode on other SC occasions!
                          "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Quoth bean View Post
                            "That far up north"? I'm in Texas, everything is north of here.

I work at the pizza counter in a Whole Foods Market (upscale natural/organic grocery store)
                            OT - YUM! YUM! YUM! YUM! YUM! I love Whole Foods Markerts in Texas! You know what's even better in Texas (besides EVERYTHING) Central Market! *insert drooling emoticon here*
                            "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Quoth TruthHurts View Post
                              SC: I'd like a room upstairs
                              "That will be 200 bucks a night."
                              "Dont you have something cheaper?!"
                              "You didnt want the presidental suite? Thats as upstairs as it gets."
                              http://www.vilecity.com/index.php?r=221271
                              Cyberpunk mayhem!

Comment

Working...
                              X