This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customer Refused to Sign WIC Check

Yesterday, one of the checkers got a customer with a WIC check. The checker told the customer to sign the check and the customer refused to do so until she saw the amount that she was paying. I had to call the assistant store manager since I wasn't sure if the check needed to be signed before/after the amount was written on the check. One of my coworkers at the service desk got it straightened out.

When the customer came up to the service desk, she wanted to know if the checker she got was new. I informed the customer that the checker she got works at the store on and off (since the checker goes to college and works when she comes home).
    My Fanfic Page
    My Fiction Page
    My Social Group
    My Pet Social Group
    My You Tube Channel

Personally if I was the coworker I wouldn't be very happy if you told the customer I was a college kid who worked on and off. I don't like customers who are being difficult (with or without just cause) knowing any personal stuff about me.

I know it's not like giving the customer your coworkers last name or phone number but I bet the customers is thinking that your coworker is a stupid noobie college kid, when in actual fact seeing as you didn't know if the total needed to be written on it before/after signing, it's probably not particularly common knowledge and doesn't mean she is a noob at her job.
    Every day at work is the new worst day of my life.

Comment

FWIW, having used WIC, I never signed them until after the total was written on the check either. I could almost swear that it says not to in the WIC folder, or something. Almost.
      you are = you're. not "your".

Comment

They're not supposed to be signed until after the total is written on the check, or that is what our policy was. If for whatever reason the total was wrong (somone rung up a bunch on formula on a check for milk, cheese, cereal, juice..ect) the customer may get in trouble, however that wouldn't be the customers's fault entirely.

Comment

I wouldn't have given the customer that information. Not her business. I would've just pointed out that there seemed to be some question as to the specifics of the policy, as you all found out.
          Unseen but seeing
          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
          3rd shift needs love, too
          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I'm not sure I understand what all the fuss is about with the whole "she goes to college" thing. How is that offensive? She works part time, she had a question, and if the customer was being obnoxious and trying to get a dig in about "the new girl", then what's the big deal?

I just think there are bigger and better things to get offended about. Like the bitch ass patient who referred to me as "The Fat Sarah" behind my back the other day. THAT shit is offensive. This... meh.
            "This is the first time I've seen you look ugly, and that makes me happy!"

Comment

I just think that when people refer to someone as being "new" then they are basically saying that they do not know how to do their job because they made a mistake or had a question I would have just said No she is not and been done with it no details because the customer is not entitled to that information. Whenever I have to tell someone something they don't want to hear they always say You must be new and I say No I have been here since we opened i know more than the Manager.

Comment

Still, the whole situation just reminds me of mountains and molehills... if I were the college student and I found out about it, I'm not so sure I would care much about the mention of school. I'd be pissed at the customer for being an ass, and that's it.

That's just me, though.
                "This is the first time I've seen you look ugly, and that makes me happy!"

Comment

Having had WIC myself, you are instructed to NOT sign until the amount is written on it, I've never heard of this being a problematic issue, AND I don't see how the customer is being an ass. I would have reacted the same way. Asking if the girl was new was an obvious question to ask, since the girl wasn't completely familiar with WIC policies.

The whole on/off college thing is moot, whether or not its anyone's business, in the scheme of things its just an informational tidbit that doesn't have any bearing on anything. Another possible answer to the customer's question is: "Its just something she hasn't had to do before. Learning from experience and all that. Thanks for being patient and upholding the WIC policy, its nice to see customers that bother to do that. You have a lovely afternoon."

End of issue.
                  ...how do used tampons attract thieves? ---Sleepwalker

Chickens are Asexual!

Comment

I never told the customer that the coworker was in college. I just let her know that the coworker wasn't new and that she was here on and off.

Also, I have to keep familiarizing myself with WIC policies. We hardly get WIC checks where I work and some of the policies tend to change.
                    My Fanfic Page
                    My Fiction Page
                    My Social Group
                    My Pet Social Group
                    My You Tube Channel

Comment

That's good. I'm sorry I misunderstood you.

It's so annoying when companies change policies without bothering to update workers. When I worked in a supermarket I would have appreciated a bulletin board near the sign in area with store updates. My store was always changing practices expecially with weird stuff like home delivery and food vouchers from charities without bothering to tell us.
                      Last edited by Special Patrol Group; 12-31-2006, 08:32 AM.
                      Every day at work is the new worst day of my life.

Comment

Working...
                      X