Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

That's nice, this promotion isn't FOR you.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's nice, this promotion isn't FOR you.

As many places, the grocery store I works in has an occasional "Spend so much $$$ buying such-and-such manufacturer, get $$ off your next shopping order." Usually these are printed in the ads, I think, but I notice them most often in the form of catalina ads that detail the promotion and say 'THIS IS NOT A COUPON' (in bold, but small, capitals) on the side.

So, it was around Passover, and a deal was going on with Manischewitz--something like "spend $20 on Manischewitz products, get a $5 coupon off your next shopping order". A woman comes in with a few cans of sardines that are ultimately manufactured by Manischewitz I guess (the brand name is different but they're listed as the manufacturer), and hands me the ad.

ME: "Oh, this isn't a coupon, and you haven't bought nearly enough Manischewitz products to qualify for it."
    HER: "But I bought these sardines, they're made by Manischewitz.
    (fast-forward through about three minutes explaining that you don't get a five dollar coupon for buying three dollars' worth of sardines)
    HER: Who would spend that much money on this!? That's ridiculous!
    ME: Heh, yeah, it is kind of a lot. I think it's because of Passover, though. You know, for Jewish people who will be serving this sort of stuff to their whole family.
    HER: Oh, well, I'm not Jewish! I just like these sardines, that's all I buy.

She proceeds to stare at me as though she expects me to say, "Oh, all right then!" and make the coupon print out.

ME: Well, uh, anyway, your total's $xx.xx.
    HER: So I'm not getting anything off them?
    ME: No.
    SHE sighs and pays.

I just. . .what?

... ... I'm floored. I mean I am just positively floored.

Someone finally managed to spell Manischewitz correctly. I love you forever.
    SC: "Are you new or something?"
    Me: "Yes. Your planet is very backwards I hope you realize."

Comment

Me thinks that's not the only Manischewitz product she buys.
      "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
        Me thinks that's not the only Manischewitz product she buys.
        How did you come to that conclusion?

Comment

I really hope it wasn't a cheap = Jewish crack
          GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

to

My local grocery store runs those type of promotions, too. Usually it ends up being stuff I buy anyway, so I just buy a little extra. Unfortunately, I forget to use the $$ off coupon the next time I shop. Not sure why I bother half the time.
            Make a list of important things to do today.
            At the top of your list, put 'eat chocolate'
            Now, you'll get at least one thing done today

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
              Where can i buy some of that cheap Jewish crack?
              "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
                Where can i buy some of that cheap Jewish crack?
                (just for the sake of the pun)

you have to find a non union Jewish plumber

Comment

Ah, the expectant stare. I sort of enjoy dashing a SC's hopes into pieces when they give me that look. Kind of like, "surprise! you're not special"

My mom would be getting a few $5 coupons with a promotion like that. She buys so much matzah and gefilte fish and stuff for passover its not even funny. And maybe a bottle or two of that wine Sheldon alluded to...
                  !
                  "For truth is always strange; stranger than fiction." -- Lord Byron

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
                    I think it was a reference to Manischewitz wine. ss the woman must have obviously been drunk.

Comment

mmmmm i like that wine

Comment

Quoth ShadowTiger View Post
                        Someone finally managed to spell Manischewitz correctly. I love you forever.
                        What's so hard about Manischewitz? It's spelled just like it sounds.

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

The catalinas at my self checks occasionally print out 'coupons' that are actually notifications that there will be a 'special coupon' for anyone buying this much of that item on these days, and people bring those 'coupons' to me and expect me to just take that money off.
                          M: "Ah, no, not really a coupon, sorry."
                          "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Working...
                          X