Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Now This is How the "Mommy Count" is Done.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now This is How the "Mommy Count" is Done.

As I was working the floor today, I heard a child screeching next to some of those horrid impulse buys at the checklanes--crap they won't remember buying in a day or so.

"I WANT IT I WANT IT!!!" or some variation of that theme we hear so often.

Mom: "This is not how we behave in a store..."

Child: "SCREEEECH!!! WAH GARBLE!"

Mom: "One...."

Silence. Blessed silence.

This mom had practice. Anyone could tell. She rules.

Win

....that is all
    "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
    -Red

Comment

I guess so, but if Mom counts to three, why would the kid knock it off before two or three?

That is why I dont do the count thing. I don't consider there to be any more to say after the "one" count.

I imagine it must work for some folks because lot of people do it.

Comment

I think it gives the kid three seconds to actually decide s/he wants to stop shrieking his/her head off and the consequences of continuing to be a demon-possessed little zit.

I swear I've heard a psychological explanation somewhere...

Comment

I once let my mom get to "Th".

When she said we'd be sorry, it wasn't a threat, it was a statement of fact.

She knew what she was doing.

Comment

I definitely did the counting thing for my kids. The only difference is, they never knew when 5 was coming. I might count 1 2 3 4 5, or I might count 1 2 5, or maybe 1 5. Which ever way I did it, they knew if I reached 5, they were toast.

Comment

Actually, it's a technique that works wonderfully well. I've seen parents in Wal-Mart use to great effect when their kids don't behave. Of course, nearly all of those parents are European. Idahoan parents seem too much like children themselves to know how to raise them.
              Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

When I was a kid - the punishment got proportionally worse the longer we let Mom count...we'd stop at One too!!!
                The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

I count backwards from five to give boyo a chance to calm down. It works. Funnily enough, I do that with my dogs as well.
                  "The pepper spray was cruel but to hit them with Barry Manilow was just plain vicious,"

Comment

I laughed out loud.
                    That mom is full of win.

Glad to see good parenting is still alive.
                    "Chaos in the midst of chaos isn't funny, but chaos in the midst of order is." - Steve Martin

Comment

My mother used that on my sister and I and it always worked. I use it on my kids now and they know that if I get to three there's hell to pay.
                      I am but a tiny, barren, insignificant rock caught in the glorious orbit of your shining sun. Gravekeeper.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                        I guess so, but if Mom counts to three, why would the kid knock it off before two or three?

That is why I dont do the count thing. I don't consider there to be any more to say after the "one" count.
                        It gives the child (or cat, or dog) time to process the information. "One" catches their attention, "two" gives them time to figure out what behaviour to stop. As the child (or animal) develops the skills, you can speed up the count, or escalate disapproval as the count gets higher, or whatever.

In my experience using it on my animals, though, the time matters.
                        Seshat's self-help guide:
                        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                          .... I dont do the count thing. I don't consider there to be any more to say after the "one" count.
                          Maybe this mom also doesn't go past "1" - since the kid stopped then, we don't really know. And it sounds like she doesn't need to, either.

If only ALL parents knew how to discipline their kids, this would be a much better world as those kids grow up.
                          I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

If I get to two, it's a bad day for my daughter, and she knows it. I never get past one, either. She LOVES that DS and her TV. Good on that mom!!
                            "You mean you don’t have the one piece of information you actually need? Well, stick your grubby paws in the crayon box, yank one out and colour me Fucking Shocked Fuchsia." - Gravekeeper

Comment

I do that myself, lol. I give a three downcount. My 2 year old is has been pushing "one"....but...thats a 2 year old for you.
                              By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Working...
                              X