This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Read All Posted Signs

I work at a bowling center. It's low pay, I only get a few hours a week, but my friend got me the job when I really needed one, I love the people I work with, we have a lot of good regulars, and it's easy work. All in all, if I could make a decent wage (either by more hours or more pay), I'd be thrilled to stay there and not be job-hunting...

Anyway, on to the story.

We have a sign posted at the front counter that states two things: we're pre-pay and we give no refunds. We USED to be post-pay, but had too many people running out on us, so we had to go to pre-pay. All us counter jockeys do the same thing because of this (and the no refunds rule): we recommend customers purchase fewer games than they think they'll play. They can always add more later, but this way, no one's at risk of a loss.

I was on guest services duty this particular Sunday (I got to run out and retrieve dead wood, clean, etc), but mostly sticking to the counter as I could to help a returning employee (he takes the school year off while in college) get back into the swing of things.

A man and his two adult sons had come to bowl. They wanted 3 games each. About an hour later, after they've played 2, the man comes up to ask for a refund. I'm spraying and putting away shoes while the returning guy (J) was trying to explain no refunds. The man, of course, begins to get irate and is shouting at poor J that he never saw any sign stating no refunds.

I turn from the shoes, leeeeean out over the counter and look in the direction of where the sign is. At the same time, I go: "Oh man, did they put something else up over the sign again?!" (totally bluffing since no one has ever done that, but y'know)

The SC steps back and looks also. He sees the sign, his eyes briefly bug out. He shakes a finger at J and says: "You got me this time!" and walks out muttering.

It could've been a lot worse, but I managed to teach J a valuable lesson: being able to smoothly point out to a SC that they were an idiot is ALWAYS best.

I've been there and dealt with that sort of thing. Worked in a bowling center for two years in college. Just out of curiosity, what state are you in? The place you work at sounds sort of familiar.

Comment

Quoth Sterlingbond View Post
      I've been there and dealt with that sort of thing. Worked in a bowling center for two years in college. Just out of curiosity, what state are you in? The place you work at sounds sort of familiar.
      I work at a center in Greenville, SC. It used to be a Brunswick, now privately owned.

Comment

I worked at one where we had problems with people not wanting to wear socks and their kids not wearing socks. People would also wear the shoes outside to smoke. This was on a US Navy base overseas. I had put up signs all over about both of those. The base health inspector required it.

But really.... would you want to wear RENTAL shoes that someone else used without socks?????

Comment

Ew, bsaana! I have issues wearing them WITH socks! As for the OP, it's always great to pwn an SC! Well done!
          "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Working...
          X