This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sell it to me anyway!

Okay, so this happened years ago (2006, I think) when I was working at a local vitamin/health food store. Not a chain, locally owned.

{b/g} The owner of the store had a small reference section for customers to use. Some of the books were for sale, some of them weren't. These were HER PERSONAL books from HER PERSONAL collection (some of them were out of print) and had been stamped on the inside front cover. The stamps are not ambivalent. I think they actually said "Property of <name>"{/b/g}

So I'm working closing by myself (common). The store closes at six. At 5:45 this couple walks in. They're actually pulling merchandise to buy, so I can't close out the register. They continue to browse. And browse. And BROWSE. I even went and turned over the Open/Closed sign, turned off our neons in the window, etc. They would NOT take the hint.

Finally, at at LEAST 6:30 (I think it might have been 6:45, but I don't remember) they come up to my cash wrap to check out. He's got six or seven books in his basket.

Me: *checking the books for stamps and finding several* I'm sorry, I can't sell you these.
    SC: What? Why not?
    Me: These books belong to the owner, they're not for sale. *I show him the stamps inside the covers*
    SC: That's ridiculous. Why are they there if they're not for sale?
    Me: *explains about having a reference section available for our customers*
    SC: Grumblemumblemuttermutter

As I finish checking them out, and reach down for bags, I hear:
    SC: Shoulda just sold them to me and said you forgot to check.
    Me:

I really wish I hadn't been as young as I was (fresh from high school). I would've given him a piece of my mind, if that happened now.
    We are actors! We are the opposite of people! -Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead

All we can do is hate. And they ALL deserve it.

Oh, that's just dreadful. Someone tried to steal my first book once. So I hit them with the sequel.
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Working...
    X