This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Returning used merchandise

It's been one hell of a busy holiday week and I'm so sick of people I could scream. One of the rules I have is if you're buying snow gloves, make sure they fit. Once you rip off the tags and separate them, I will not take them back nor can you trade them for a different size at that point.

I would think this wouldn't have to be stated (over and over and over) but, sadly, it does.

Today was insane and everyone got the same speech even if they were standing behind someone who'd just been told the same thing.

So what did one group do? They listened just enough, but not quite well enough. They left the tags on alright. They played in the snow with the tags on and then tried to return them when they were through with them. Nice try, no way.

The unbelievable balls of some people.

"You'd feel a Hell of a lot better if you'd just rip into the occasional customer."
    ~Clerks

How about the young guy who wears an entire outfit out clubbing, brings it back reeking of ciggy smoke and perfume, and tries to retun it? And if they get a manager, they DO return it?
    I've turned a few back (We only return clothes in sellable condition, sir. These are not defective, and have been worn. Just because you did not get laid after wearing them does not make a good reason to return them.)
    I HATE when the managers bow to the pressure to "keep the customer happy, and get them OUT of here!"

People who steal are not customers. We do not need to keep thieves 'happy'.
    I no longer fear HELL.
    I work in RETAIL.

Comment

i glad your places of work have that thing called common sense. people at my store return very smelly clothes, obviously worn clothes,drycleaned, dirty, whatever you can do to it, we take it back. why you ask b/c customer service people at my store are just that. they have never step foot in my clothes dept to work and have no idea how we work so they just take back anything with open arms. so i hate my store return policy. why. mostly because there is none.

Comment

This happened in H&M a few years back. I was paying my purchases on one till and this girl comes to the next. She opens her coat, raises her arm and points at her armpit. There's a hole in her t-shirt, located next to a big patch of sweat.

girl: I bought this top here two weeks ago and there's a hole in it. Can I have a new one?
        clerk: Ok. You can take a new one from the shelf and then return that one.

Whatwhatwhat?? Ok, the item was defective, but why was she wearing it then? There are so many things in this example that aren't quite right. But then again, H&M's quite cheap place and probably they get so many returns they don't even bother to ask the receipt. That sort of return policy might be easy for employees, but it also makes scammers/"borrowers" happy. Hmph.

Comment

We always demanded that any actual defective item be WASHED first before returning...for Health Board regulations (same with items people want altered...the alterations people should not be exposed to your dirty laundry!)

Some people would get very indignant about that. Too freakin' bad. What makes you think ANY of us want to touch your dirty clothes??
          I no longer fear HELL.
          I work in RETAIL.

Comment

I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but on several occasions at my last retail job, people tried to return used UNDERWEAR.
            No skidmarks, thank the heavens, but they'd obviously been worn and washed.
            Of course, I didn't realize this until I'd removed the clothing from the shopping bag.
            "Hello! And how may I help you to-HEY!"
            Imagine my blood running cold and my eyes quickly scanning the counter for that bottle of anti-bacterial handwash.
            I felt kinda like Karen Silkwood for a minute there.

Of course, my store would take back underwear as long as the tags were still atttached.
            Yeah, like the tag keeps them from getting all skanked up?
            No.
            Eww.
            Needless to say, I was cautious about what I bought from that store clothing-wise.
            ~~*

"No! You can take the kids, but you leave me my monkey." - WALK HARD: THE DEWEY COX STORY

Comment

We take back used stuff but all returned bras and underwear (except for the plastic packs that had definitely not been opened) get marked as defective and don't go back out on the shelf. I defect out even the ones with tags still on them, because you never know with some people.

Comment

Quoth SuperB View Post
                One of the rules I have is if you're buying snow gloves, make sure they fit. Once you rip off the tags and separate them, I will not take them back nor can you trade them for a different size at that point.

You don't have a tach-it gun* or anything?

*One of those handy-dandy guns for attaching price tags to clothing? (When Goodwill and I parted ways, I should've kept mine...It would be fun to attach random price tags to my current coworkers.)
                Unseen but seeing
                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                3rd shift needs love, too
                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I remeber back when I worked at a clothing store a lady brought back three dresses claiming she had brought them last week. When she got them out of the bag they said XIT on the label and we hadn't sold any XIT produce for 2 years. I told her this, she still claimed to have been sold them the week before. I called the manager and they argued over it for a few minutes. The lady stamped her foot shouting she came in wednesday at 4pm, so the manager told her she'd wind back the CCTV tape and look for her. She literally RAN out of the shop at that point lol.

Another girl tried to bring back a pair of summer sandals in August that had black footprints where she had worn them so much

We had a lot of returns for the shop next door to ours when people would not listen at all to us saying we can't give money back for another store.

Comment

I also had a lady try to return some used bedsheets, though she swore up and down they were never EVER used. She had them stuffed somewhat neatly back inside the original packaging, I'll give her that, but they'd been opened so we had to check.
                    Problem was, they smelled exactly like the dryer sheets I use.
                    Two words...
                    Bus.
                    TED.
                    ~~*

"No! You can take the kids, but you leave me my monkey." - WALK HARD: THE DEWEY COX STORY

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                      You don't have a tach-it gun* or anything?

*One of those handy-dandy guns for attaching price tags to clothing? (When Goodwill and I parted ways, I should've kept mine...It would be fun to attach random price tags to my current coworkers.)
                      No, I wish we did for those who rip the tags and leave the gloves on the shelf and I don't catch them. It wouldn't have made a difference with this situation though. I wasn't about to let them be duplicious.

We had a lot of returns for the shop next door to ours when people would not listen at all to us saying we can't give money back for another store.
                      My in-laws got that a lot at their store. People assume that just because the gas is a national brand that the stores must all be linked.

"You'd feel a Hell of a lot better if you'd just rip into the occasional customer."
                      ~Clerks

Comment

Quoth SuperB View Post
                        The unbelievable balls of some people.
                        Amazing they can even walk...
                        Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

I work at a Hardware store and people bring back lots of stuff that they used and abused or did not bring back the packaging and a lot of it is in my house now.

They buy a shovel, dig their hole and bring it back without even cleaning the mud off. But we cannot re-sell it since it has obviuosly been used, so usually get piled up in the backroom untill we all divide it among ourselves.

Among the items I have got;

A Bunn coffee maker (the pot had hard water stains on it)
                          A 6 piece rechargeable power tool set (one tool was recalled)
                          A plastic wheelbarrow (they overloaded it and now it has a small crack)
                          A Tripod flashlight (idiot couldn't tell the difference between the on button and the tripod button)
                          A set of Solar Lights (idiot did not pull the tags on the batteries)
                          Assorted Hand and Garden tools (especially tape measures and waterhoses because of their lifetime guarantees)
                          "First time I ever seen a chainsaw go down anybody's britches,"

Comment

Working...
                          X