This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AHAHA-- no.

Someone got in touch with me about doing an almost 200pg comic book off of their script. As in all the pencils, all the finished art, and I'd be the one doing all the text layout. Asked what their budget was and they told me they were aiming for $200 at most for the whole book and wanted it all done in under a month.

Couldn't help myself, I couldn't hold in my laughter on the phone. Someone needs a reality check!

BWHAHAH!

Take the gig, do the whole thing in kindergarten-esque stick figures, and tell him to pay up.

I dunno what your/industry standard rates are, but im gonna assume that $200 would maybe cover 2 pages, and 200 pages in a month is well beyond insane, unless, maybe, you're Jim Lee 20 years ago and writing/drawing about 9 different series at the same time.
    Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

What were they smoking?
      200 bux would get you a cover page, right?
      In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
      She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Quoth Cutenoob View Post
        What were they smoking?
        200 bux would get you a cover page, right?
        If even.

I mean, when you're doing work in bulk, the price per page does go down, but not THAT low. Pfffft.

Comment

Hubby does graphic art for the roleplaying industry. $200 should get one or two pics done from scratch (pencils to inking), but black-and-white ONLY, and forget the text work.

But to do even those with a person who is clearly out of touch with the industry means that there will be MULTIPLE revisions and tweaks and alterations. There's no way $200 would make up for dealing with that grief.
          Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
            Hubby does graphic art for the roleplaying industry. $200 should get one or two pics done from scratch (pencils to inking), but black-and-white ONLY, and forget the text work.
            Oh yeah. They wanted color - detailed shading too, not flats or cell shaded.

Again:

Comment

Speaking as one who does comics as a labor of love...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

HAHAHAHA!

Ha...

Reminds me of a request on a fandom community. They requested a "long" (yes, they wanted long) graphic novel for the main couple. As in asking someone to write, draw, color, create A to Z a very long fancomic for nothing at all.

What annoyed me more is that someone agreed. >< Not a fantasticly good artist, but they only posted like 3 pages and haven't done anything since.
              "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

I just verified with Hubby about the offered price... After informing me that 10-15 years ago a newbie comic book artist could earn about $150 per page of *pencils* and do about 22 pages a month, his response to this person's offer was:

"He can suck my balls."
                Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Take the gig, do the whole thing in kindergarten-esque stick figures, and tell him to pay up.
                  i would love to see it and the look on his face when he sees it!
                  look! it's ghengis khan!
                  Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth infinitemonkies View Post
                    BWHAHAH!

I dunno what your/industry standard rates are, but im gonna assume that $200 would maybe cover 2 pages, and 200 pages in a month is well beyond insane, unless, maybe, you're Jim Lee 20 years ago and writing/drawing about 9 different series at the same time.
                    Jim Lee? He could barely do one monthly series, let alone 9. Only comics artists from around 20 years ago that could would be John Byrne, John Romita Jr. or Mark Bagley.

Comment

$1 a page? Nice.

I remember my friends and I once bought a comic book commission off eBay from an artist we knew. This was a deeply discounted rate because he knew us, was B&W inked only, and 16 pages, and it still cost us well over $1000.

$200 for 200 pages? You could maybe find someone to draw in the page numbers in the corner for that price.
                      Check out my webcomic!

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
                        "He can suck my balls."
                        I refrained from saying anything too much beyond laughing. And "good luck with that, sir." I wish I wasn't so polite sometimes.

Comment

[Simpson's Comic Book Guy Voice]

"He can suck my balls."
                          [/Simpson's Comic Book Guy Voice]

Mike
                          Meow.........

Comment

WOW! I'm glad you laughed in his ear, what a twit!
                            wouldn't lube work better in a f***ing machine?
                            ----
                            Yes, that’s right. It’s a pair of gold foil headphones. Gold foil. Finally, headphones just as awful as your taste in music.

Comment

Working...
                            X