This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost in Translation

I understand how people who learn English as a second language can have a hard time communicating, but how does this:
    "Do you have a two jigga axe-bay cammery mammor khar?"
    translate into this:
    "Do you have a 2-gigabyte XD camera memory card?"

???

And when I tell a customer this:
    "The $479 price is a clearance price. That computer used to be $899."
    why do they still insist on asking if my manager might give them an extra $200 off simply because they think they're spending a lot of money with us?

I don't get it.
    I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
    - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
    - IPF

...simply because they think they're spending a lot of money with us?
    That's exactly it. To them it's a big purchase even at the sale price, so they think they deserve a reward.

We had someone ask if we could throw in a $40 book for free since they were buying a telescope. Let's see... the average price of the other telescopes on the sale floor is $800, and the most expensive one is upwards of $4000. The telescope you're buying costs $179. Sorry, but you don't qualify for Special and Unique Snowflake status.
    Last edited by NightAngel; 01-03-2007, 04:41 PM. Reason: quotes

Comment

The nerve of some people...to ask for crap for free...especially if the item is more than 10 bucks.

When I took photography in college I needed a camera- dad took me to the camera shop and we dropped probably 500-600 on camera stuff... the shop also sold beanie babies, and there was a cute one I wanted. Dad added it to the purchase, but the shop gave it to us for free. We didn't ASK. They just decided that they could give us the $6 item.... and on top of the great customer service we had already gotten, we thought that was really nice and thanked them. (oh and I've been a customer there ever since) We didn't ask for any special privilege for spending money...um, that's what you do when you go to a business, spend money! You want something, you pay for it. end of story.

To ASK for a $40 item for free...jeez. That's just RUDE.
      I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

If you want something for free, just order one of those gadgets off of an Infomercial, where you can get random crap thrown in with the Magic Bullet or whatever "if you order within the next 10 minutes. It seems like they do that a lot, just to thank you for spending money on useless crap. That's what I thought of when I read this. (Sorry, I guess I've been watching too much late night TV )
        "If you are planning not to tip, please let your server know before ordering so they can decide whether or not to wait on you" - from an advice column I read some time ago

Comment

Quoth Witch of Endor View Post
          you don't qualify for Special and Unique Snowflake status.

I have to remember that one! (granted, I have been known to say that someone is not a unique and beautiful snowflake, therefore they cannot have whatever exception they want....but I still loves it!)
          -"One ring to rule them all!"-Elias
          -Ask yourself, "WWRKHTSCCJ:TMD?"

Comment

Quoth Witch of Endor View Post
            Sorry, but you don't qualify for Special and Unique Snowflake status.
            That may be the case, but I DO qualify for weirdest person in the produce back room!!!!!!! Yaaaaaaaaaaaay me!!!!!!
            Unseen but seeing
            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
            3rd shift needs love, too
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Giggle Goose View Post
              It seems like they do that a lot, just to thank you for spending money on useless crap.
              I don't think it's that. I think they simply want to dump their unsaleable crap on some other sucker...while making them think they got a great deal, they also got a POS they'll never use.
              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
              X