Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not sucky, but so stupid it makes you laugh.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sucky, but so stupid it makes you laugh.

I used to work at a chain grocery store as a cashier. The hours sucked, the pay was worse but my co-workers were wonderful. (A 40ish man surrounded by college women? Yep, that would be wonderful)

Late one evening a man walks up to my register with a hand basket half full of men's toiletries. After scanning the 15 or so items, I gave the total which was somewhere near $60.00 and change. The customer asks if he can pay me $50.00 cash and put the rest on his debit card. I explain that he could. He handed me a crisp $50.00 bill. I entered the amount and told him to go ahead and slide his card. (Here it comes...wait for it...) He completes the transaction with his bank card and asks for $50.00 cash back!

Can you say DUH???

Love the site. Hope I'll be able to contribute something once in a while.

Jim
    This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

yeah...i think i just lost another group of brain cells reading that.......

wow.
    Well fiddle dee dee!!

Comment

Was he trying to scam you into giving him $60 worth of stuff for $10? Or did he use the proper cash-back feature on the debit machine, which would have resulted in the $50 being deducted from his bank account and paid to your store?

Comment

Back in the day, I would have been worrying that the guy was passing counterfeit bills with a move like that. Just like when someone would come up and offer a twenty bill and ask for two tens. They walk off with real money, and you end up with a worthless piece of paper in the till.

Comment

Tendomentis, my first thought was "counterfeiter" as well. $50s are big enough to make it worthwhile, too.
          A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
          - Dave Barry

Comment

I would have just given him back the nice crisp $50 he just gave me, then told him we were not allowed to make change!
            The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Quoth Witch of Endor View Post
              Was he trying to scam you into giving him $60 worth of stuff for $10? Or did he use the proper cash-back feature on the debit machine, which would have resulted in the $50 being deducted from his bank account and paid to your store?
              I think the point was is he could have just paid for the whole thing on his debit card and kept his $50.

My oldest son calls what that guy did a "brain fart".
              "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
              HellGate: London

Comment

Counterfeit would be the word that came to mind for me too.

Comment

I suppose it could be a counterfeit. But I'm not sure how that makes sense?
                  I mean, you put the $50 in the $50 slot- it's on top so obviously the one he handed is the one you grab from the top. Unless it's done differently elsewhere?

Hopefully the OP checked the bill also.
                  "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
                  HellGate: London

Comment

Okay, yes. If the guy wants $50 in cash back and takes back the bill he just handed you, then he is a moron. Odds are he wanted smaller bills though, and I would still raise an eyebrow to that.

Comment

Believe me, that bill got a nice wide swipe of the counterfeit detection pen before it went into the till, not that it was in there very long as I returned it to him with his receipt. If he wanted smaller bills he said nothing. I can still see the guys face when he realized that he was a bonehead. All this happened about 5 years ago.
                      This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

Comment

Well it would work if he was using a stolen debit & pin.

that way he would get his stuff, his $50 back and Person who Lost It would have to pay for it all.

Cute
                        In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                        She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Bigjimaz - those counterfeit detection pens are useless. The counterfeiters can now treat the paper with a chemical that makes the pen react the same way it would to a real bill. The best (and easiest) method is to check for the watermark and the little plastic ribbon that's embedded in the bill.
                          Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.

Proverbs 22:6

Comment

Great story.
                            I think some of you may be giving this guy too much credit in assuming he was some sort of clever scam artist. One of the hazards of working in retail is getting to the point where you assume everyone is a scammer, because we have to deal with so many.
                            I agree with NightAngel - sounds like a brain fart to me.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

I'm not thinking scammer, I'm thinking not too bright.
                              Unseen but seeing
                              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                              3rd shift needs love, too
                              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                              X