This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCs who abandon items

This partly comes from my time workign the bottle room at a local Meijer, a big department store chain based i nthe great lakes region of the US. Now, I had duty of changing bins in the bottle room and keeping it clean, which was in itself a challenge as customers would abandon nasty sticky carts, bottles and cans the machines wouldn't take, and cartons and bags, which smelled damned aweful, and emptying the trash, which in some cases I found jumper cables and in one case a bowling ball.

Not the point of the thread. Anyway, my biggest pet peeve of this job were customers who would abandon items and not bother putting them back where they came from. In one case we had to throw out five boxes of frozen waffles because someone left them on the cookie aisle[SP?] and on another case a leaky bottle of clothing detergant was left i nthe pet food aisle, forcing us to dispose of several back of dry pet food. I even had a mother have a kid leave a BB gun from the toy area in the soda aisle, while I was standign there with a cart full of returns.

Sorry for the rant, but this flat out pisses me off. Is it THAT huge of a problem to take maybe a minute to run back something you don't want, or to have your child do it if capable? Which I have done on many an occassion, my parents woudl have me return an item we didn't want.

Sorry for the rant.

I am totally with you there on that.

What pisses me off the most is that people seem to think that it's OK to do this! I've been standing literally 3 feet away from people, watching them put random crap on the shelf and then walking away. They feel no remorse. They clearly don't feel guilty about it. And they justify it all by reminding themselves that I get paid to clean up after them.

No I don't, ****head. I get paid to do all this other stuff, but I have to put it on hold because I have to go clean up after you.

Wow. I didn't quite mean to get so upset there. Heh.
    "At any time, for any reason and without any warning, a meteor could fall from the sky and kill us all."
    -- The Meteor Principle

Galbadia Hotel - Free Video Game Soundtrack Downloads

Comment

It's especially bad when they do it with perishibles, like milk and the afformentioned frozen waffles.

Comment

Quoth kurisu7885 View Post
        It's especially bad when they do it with perishibles, like milk and the afformentioned frozen waffles.
        For some reason people seem to enjoy simply picking up a few items and dumping them on the other side of the same cooler at my store.

They also seem to like dumping sushi in the freshpack cooler. That pisses me off to no end.

Comment

Quoth bean View Post
          For some reason people seem to enjoy simply picking up a few items and dumping them on the other side of the same cooler at my store.

They also seem to like dumping sushi in the freshpack cooler. That pisses me off to no end.
          Er, if I may, what xactly is supposed to go i na freshpack cooler? I'm guessing salad items ,but I could be wrong.

Comment

I've mentioned garlic bread more than once here.

Most recently, it was pinapple/coconut ice cream. TOTALLY MELTED.

Deli meats. Pizza dough. Chicken. Beef. Eggs.

is WRONG with these people?!?!?!?
            Unseen but seeing
            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
            3rd shift needs love, too
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
              I've mentioned garlic bread more than once here.

Most recently, it was pinapple/coconut ice cream. TOTALLY MELTED.

Deli meats. Pizza dough. Chicken. Beef. Eggs.

is WRONG with these people?!?!?!?
              They don't understand that those items cost the store money if lost.

Comment

They don't CARE, which is the root of the problem. It's not their problem (according to the SC Handbook) so therefore it's not a problem.

I'd hate to go to any of their homes and see if they leave stuff laying around like they do out in public.

Or maybe we should start going to their homes and getting out stuff and leaving it everyhwere. They wouldn't like that in the least, would they?

So logic fails me again as to WHY it's supposed to be acceptable to do this in retail establishments, outside of the fact that there's a basic lack of respect for anyone or anything anymore.

And for further debate, go Fratching

Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

If I discover I don't want something, it's usually at the check out and I hand it over to the cashier rather than putting it in with the impulse items right on the checkout aisle.
                  "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Quoth friendofjimmyk View Post
                    If I discover I don't want something, it's usually at the check out and I hand it over to the cashier rather than putting it in with the impulse items right on the checkout aisle.
                    Same here.

When I was cashiering at the grocery store, the preferred dump-off place for unwanted perishables was the magazine racks. Because of course, nothing complements a display of tabloids better than a wedged-in ham & cheese hero.

Comment

That just grosses me out. I would never dream of leaving food products lying hilly nilly wherever I felt like leaving them...I don't consciously think of it as "wow, that milk will get rotten if I leave it there..." It's just more a common courtesy- you know, when you're a guest at someone's home you don't just take out their stuff and throw it wherever you feel like...To me, same applies when you are out anywhere! You always put things back where you found them! (or if they were in the wrong place to begin with, back where they BELONG!) Guess it's just the girl scout in me- "Always leave a place BETTER than the way you found it!"

The SC's who throw stuff around REALLY peeve me off at the mall. I mean, c'mon, how hard is it to walk 10 feet back to the display you got that item off of? (not that I am excusing people who do this at the supermarket...but my mall store is rather small. it's not like you have to walk a mile to return an unwanted item)

And for the love of Pete- if you don't want something, just bring it to the register at check out and tell me so...don't abandon it as you wait in line- I'll gladly take it and have it put back later!
                      I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

Putting the crap back that piled up at the checkouts because of these morons was almost a full time job where I worked... I should know because it was mine
                        free from the evil clutches of crappy tire

Comment

Some people just never heard the term "go back." I know it too well. When working for an inventory company, I used to count the go backs at Home Despot. One cart per department, sometimes two -- and often of little things, like those packages of washers. And did you ever try doing a SKU check on something that's been left on a shelf halfway across the store from where it belongs?
                          I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

I especially used to hate the morons who would order stuff from the deli or seafood department only to decide they did not want it and leave it in some random aisle.
                            And, the hiders...people who put the item they don't want behind items on the shelf...always fun, especially if it is a perishable item...
                            And then everyone wonders why prices are so high....I don't think SC's have ever heard the word "Shrink".
                            If watermelons are made up of water, what are kumquats made up of?
                            www.myspace.com/rentalracer

Comment

And as a trickle down effect, losses such as these cause stores to RAISE prices to cover them. So we good, responsible people are forced to pay more because of the SCs who let perfectly good product get destroyed by failing to put it back in the right place.

Comment

Working...
                              X