This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You Don't Stand Behind Your Hams???

I've posted this story before, but a convo with the co-worker at my current job reminded me of this story.

I was a college kid, home for the winter break, at my grocery store job. It's a few days after Christmas, and I'm working away at my post in the Meat Department. I hear an overhead announcement that our department has a phone call, so I pick up and give our standard greeting.

I don't remember the exact conversation, but I'll give you the gist of things. A lady was on the other end, and she had bought a Farmland brand ham. Upon opening it on Christmas, she saw that it was fatty and not tasty, but it being Christmas day, there was no place to go to get another ham or turkey or anything. So she cooked it up and the family ate it anyway. Lady wanted to know if she brought her receipt back, could she get a refund?

I apologized for the ham, but stated that the grocery store had to have a product to return in order to get a refund.

"So you don't stand behind your hams?" She blurts. I pause, then explain that yes, we do, and Farmland isn't our brand. It's just a brand we carry. (Our hams were clearly marked with OUR name, they are all boneless [the one she bought was bone-in] and we baked them in the store every morning with brown sugar and pineapple and they are God's gift to hams. It is nearly 7 years later, and I STILL crave those damn hams.) But I explain in short about the difference between our store brand hams and the Farmland hams and how we cannot guarantee the quality of a ham we don't produce. This didn't suffice. "Then why do you have a sign up saying you guarantee your hams?" I explain that this sign is up next to our store brand hams, as that is what the guarantee covers. The Farmland hams are stocked in a completely different section. FINALLY somehow the lady quits with the guarantee nonsense and asks "Well what am I supposed to do?" I politely ask her to hold, as I want to discuss with my manager and she says okay.

I discuss with my manager, who is God's gift to managers, what he suggests. He says to tell her to call Farmland to complain, as they are good about giving some sort of compensation. He says if for some odd reason they do not do ANYTHING for the lady, to tell her to call back and he'll talk to the store manager to see if they could get her a gift card or something. So I go back to the lady and start to explain about calling Farmland. She inturrupts me wanting to know "Well how am I supposed to call them?" I tell her the number is on the ham's wrapper.

"I threw that away." So I send one of my co-workers to grab another Farmland ham and we give her the number off that. She sighs. I tell her what my manager said that if Farmland did nothing, he'd figure something out.

"Fine, fine. I just don't understand why you have that sign up if you do not stand behind your hams."

At this point, I don't remember what I said. I think I gave a short version of what I'd said before, or more likely, I gave up and told her to have a good day.

I got off the phone and relayed the whole conversation to the manager who got a kick out of it. The whole rest of the day every time he'd walk by me he'd say "Myra, do you not stand behind your hams?" So I grabbed a ham and held it in front of me. Yes, I do stand behind them. Literally. Look at me behind the ham. Bah.

Anyways. Old amusing story, I thought.
    I may be free from retail, but the nightmares still linger.....

*picturing Myra holding up a ham*

Well, why would you want to stand behind a ham to begin with? You never know when it's gotta go #2.

In which case, you'd have a crappy ham - literally.
    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth Myra View Post
      So I grabbed a ham and held it in front of me. Yes, I do stand behind them. Literally. Look at me behind the ham. Bah.

Anyways. Old amusing story, I thought.
      In a naked, British style, I can see someone holding up a ham, or pair of hams, in front of them...
      Bears are bad. If an animal is going to be mean it should look so, like sharks and alligators. - Mark Healey

Comment

As I was reading, I just knew! Just knew! That the ham that was going to be complained about had a bone in it. Pictured the family sitting down to carve the ham, and slicing right through the bone...

Psychic powers: +1!
        "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Myra View Post
          "So you don't stand behind your hams?" She blurts.
          Oh maam but of course!! I wouldn't give the back to my hams for any reason, they're not trustworthy! that's why I always stand behind them.
          I pet animals, I rescue insects, I hug trees.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras

Comment

Ugh. If my grandma cooked, I would wonder if that was her. She is notorious for demanding refunds for the most ridiculous things. I absolutely refuse to go shopping with her anymore. Haven't gone in years actually.

One time she bought drapes and two years later, something about them irritated her. She took them back to the store and wanted to return them for cash back. And can you believe they did it?

If anybody here has ever waited on her, I personally apologize on behalf of my whole family. If we could fix it, we would.

Comment

*sings*

"Staaaaand by youuur haaaaams,
              And tell the bag you'll refund,
              Give all the freebies you can,
              Staaaaand by youuur haaaaams...."

Sorry, I couldn't resist!
              Mike: I'm gonna tell my boss I'm Puma Man, maybe he'll let me off early.

- "Puma Man", MST3K.

Comment

Quoth Kilamon View Post
                In a naked, British style, I can see someone holding up a ham, or pair of hams, in front of them...
                Oh good, I'm not the only one having an Austin Powers flashback

Comment

Quoth Posture Moll View Post
                  Sorry, I couldn't resist!
                  Hamming it up, are we?
                  Sometimes life is altered.
                  Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                  Uneasy with confrontation.
                  Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

But I can see her point. She wants the store to stand behind the products it sells. The difference between store-produced items versus brands the store just happens to sell is not what she's talking about.

But then, since she ate the damn ham, it really wasn't all that bad in the first place and the store doesn't owe her anything.

If she wants to gripe/demand a refund, let her deal with the company that made that brand.

People who demand a refund for substandard food/meals AFTER they've eaten it deserve to be horsewhipped.

Comment

Since when do grocery stores guarantee anything?? It's food! It spoils when not kept properly! And from the sounds of the complaint, there was nothing objectively wrong with said ham, her complaints were 100% subjective, and therefore would not be covered under any guarantee anyway.
                      The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                        Hamming it up, are we?
                        Ohhh. that is bad!
                        I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

Quoth Auto View Post
                          People who demand a refund for substandard food/meals AFTER they've eaten it deserve to be horsewhipped.
                          That's like a woman who tried to convince me she deserved a refund on her christmas cards...which she decided she did not like...AFTER she sent them to all of her family! I spent a good 45 mins on the phone with her trying to explain that I cannot issue a refund for a product she cannot return...
                          I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

I had a woman come in and ask for kosher ham as a joke. I just told her it came from a very pious pig.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth DesignFox View Post
                              That's like a woman who tried to convince me she deserved a refund on her christmas cards...which she decided she did not like...AFTER she sent them to all of her family! I spent a good 45 mins on the phone with her trying to explain that I cannot issue a refund for a product she cannot return...
                              amazing. i'm not sure i could have handled a 45-minute convo with such a moron.

Comment

Working...
                              X