This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People who reflexively ask for discounts

Over the last weekend I had several people ask for discounts. I've reached the point where I reflexifely respond with "no".

Most people auto-gimme-a-discount people just accept that and I finish the transaction. Not this one guy. He asked for a discount and I just happened to notice that one of the books he was buying had been in the store for over three years so I would be glad to sell it at half our marked price. I dropped one third off that book. I ring everythig in and it comes to something like U$56 and change. He then offers $50 and I give him my auto-no. He says "I'll walk out". I don't believe him and say something like "If that's what you have to do". He says OK and pays up.

I HATE HATE HATE these people.

In my fantasy life I automatically add a $5.00 haggling charge for every sentence or fragment asking for a discount.
    Proud to be a Walmart virgin.

That's one thing that's good about owning your own business...my father actually does stuff like that to people... (usually it's much higher than a five dollar surcharge! and of course, he only does this to people who truly deserve it)
    I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

I need to add that it wasn't a totally sucky weekend. Richard Dreyfus came into the store. Pretty cool guy. We talked alternative history SF and he bought some books that showed a much better brain than I would ever expect to find in an actors head.
      Proud to be a Walmart virgin.

Comment

Oh I hate that!

When I worked at O'Neil's and the store was closing, we would have these women who could barely speak english come in and chase anybody with a nametag down shouting "$2 for this towel?!!". Cause it was such a hardship that the towel was only marked down 80% to $4

Comment

SC reflex: "Can I have a discount?"

BusBus reflex 1: "Our prices are not negotiable."

BusBus reflex 2: "This isn't Tijuana" (I'm surprised that I wasn't called on that one).
          -"One ring to rule them all!"-Elias
          -Ask yourself, "WWRKHTSCCJ:TMD?"

Comment

You've just described a good 70-80% of hotel guests.

Guest: "What's the rate?"
            Me: "The LOWEST rate available is blah."
            Guest: (immediately) "But what about a discount for --" (AAA, AARP, federal government, state government, county government, city government, truck drivers, Florida residents, airline employees, police officers, local residents, tourists, OMG, WTF, BBQ, ETC)
            Me: "The LOWEST rate available is blah."

I think I'm getting a double-whammy what with the automatic asking for discounts, plus the selective hearing. The two words my guests' brains are incapable of processing are "lowest" and "stairs," and to tell you the truth I'm not sure why I even bother saying them anymore. I'll get asked for discounts even if I say "the lowest rate is" and people will still ask where the elevator is even if I've manage to top my personal best and work the word "stairs" or "staircase" six times into the directions to a guest's room.
            Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

umm...
              to be honest, i do sometimes ask for discounts (maybe like once or twice a year!). but only when
              a) i'm paying a large cash amount (eg more than R500)
              b) it's medical related - instead of the doctor waiting 30 - 90 days for payment from my medical aid, they get my money immediately. And I don't expect a discount, if they say no, I smile and pay anyways

But you do get people who will ask for a discount on a R5 pen. Dude, it's R5. (i think that's like 71 US cents). I knew someone in highschool who's mom would demand a discount everywhere she went...
              The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Here's a brief conversation that took place a week ago at the POS:

SC: Can I get a discount on this?

Me: If you have a _____ card you can get 10% off. Do you have one?

SC: No. Do YOU get a discount?

Me: Huh?

SC: Do you get a discount on stuff?

Me: ....Yes. Because I work here, Ma'am.

SC: <to her friend> She's going to give me her discount.

Me: Sorry, that goes immediate family only.
                Mike: I'm gonna tell my boss I'm Puma Man, maybe he'll let me off early.

- "Puma Man", MST3K.

Comment

Quoth Posture Moll View Post

SC: <to her friend> She's going to give me her discount.
                  Cheeky! I'm surprised she didn't ask for the clothes off your back! Love how she just assumed, and didn't even bother to ask nicely (yeah, the answer would still have been no, but nevertheless!)
                  The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

I have had a few customers wanting the stocking off my legs, freakishly enough.

But, yeah, that lady had ovaries of steel. I suppose she thought she could guilt me into knocking a certain percentage off.
                    Mike: I'm gonna tell my boss I'm Puma Man, maybe he'll let me off early.

- "Puma Man", MST3K.

Comment

I had someone today ask me (in a crass, joking sort of way) if I would just bag up their stuff without ringing it in, or have the next person pay for it.

Ha, ha. Why am I not suprised that you're missing some teeth, Cletus?

Comment

Quoth Mark Healey View Post
                        I need to add that it wasn't a totally sucky weekend. Richard Dreyfus came into the store. Pretty cool guy. We talked alternative history SF and he bought some books that showed a much better brain than I would ever expect to find in an actors head.
                        *ears perk* alternative history SF?
                        "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

I had one guy ask for a discount simply because he "didn't feel like paying that much." His words, not mine. I believe this particular experience was put into one of the comic strips.
                          Sometimes life is altered.
                          Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                          Uneasy with confrontation.
                          Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

i'm kinda guilty of this one, as a student lots of stores do discounts, very few advertise it, so nearly every shop i go into i have to ask for student discount.

Comment

Quoth friendofjimmyk View Post
                              *ears perk* alternative history SF?
                              It is science fiction with a history twist. The popular master of alternative history is Harry Turtledove. He has written quite a few books in this genre.

Examples of his work, guns of the south. Where time travellers give the confederacy AK-47 assault rifles.

The World War series. Where at the height of World War two, aliens invade the planet.

American Empire(?). Where the confederacy won the Civil war and the ramifications through to the second world war.

If you are a history buff and like sci-fi, there is no better genre.

Comment

Working...
                              X