This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We accept all major credit cards

At times I work at a hotel which has a credit-card only policy. Naturally this results in many people thinking I'm personally discriminating against them because they're white, black, drunk, tourist, blue-collar, white-collar, male, female, etc. It doesn't matter that there's a gold plated sign sitting underneath the desk that's been there longer than I have; I've obviously decided to come with this credit card policy because I don't like them... and must have carved the sign just before they entered.

On the other hand, I do understand somewhat. Credit cards can be difficult to obtain. Some people's credit histories are those that don't endear them to professionals who lend money. Having said that, if you're going to show up at the hotel and offer to leave a cash deposit of $1000 or more, I suggest it might be better to visit a bank and use that same $1000 as collateral (bank account) for a secure credit card. Of course it won't help RIGHT NOW, but it will help in a month when you visit somewhere else and do this dance all over again. It's even easier to do without the collateral if you agree to some fee-happy terms! I wouldn't, but I am saying the option is also there. I know because they keep sending me offers in the mail.

Likewise, why are there so many people, who suddenly decide they need to get a hotel room at 2am who are walking around with $1000 in their pocket. It's not even that the people are trying to purchase with something they don't have, a lot of times there is that much money inside the wallet. Why are you travelling around with this wad of cash and not making plans that could help out ahead of time?

When I tell you "The system is setup to take credit cards", I'm only partially lying; it is. It bitches and complains and spits out all kinds of alerts on various reports if a credit card isn't there. What I omit to mention is that technically we can change a reservation to something else. I won't however. In addition to past history of "incidents" involving guests who have paid cash, it's also supposed to require a manager to make that call. I'm not a manager, and I'm most likely not going to bother one over something like this. So consider the request denied.

Bonus points if in addition to more cash than I ever carry, you're rolling around with a nice car, clothing, luggage or other material possessions to make me envious. I however have a credit card.
    Last edited by MrSmiley; 07-29-2010, 12:20 PM. Reason: kids need the siggy to be cool.
    Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!

I assume you also take bank cards with a visa logo?I can think of one reason someone would have a grand in their pocket AND be trolling for a hotel at 2am.
    Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

I understand people who don't want to have a credit card. I just wish they would understand that making that choice means there are certain sacrifices, like getting a good hotel room, renting a car, or shopping online. I'm generalizing here, I know there are plenty of exceptions.

It isn't like it's hard to get a credit card, as long as you don't mind paying outrageous fees and interest. Hell, my CAT gets a minimum 3 guaranteed-acceptance cc offers a month. She has no work history, no SIN (SSN for yanks), no thumbs.
      Also, I suspect my vet sells his client list to marketing firms.
      Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

Would Visa or Mastercard debit cards work? (same functions as a credit card but the money comes out of your account straightaway or over 2-3 days rather than you racking up big bills) I have one of those mainly because I want to be able to shop/book stuff online.
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

It doesn't rack you up big bills if you pay it off. My cc actually makes me money, since I always pay it off in full before the end of the month and it has some piddly rewards program.

Comment

Quoth fireheart17 View Post
            Would Visa or Mastercard debit cards work?
            In my "shopping" experience, yes -- if you don't enter a PIN, it gets run thru the Visa/MC approval network and is considered to be a Credit Card for all practical intents and purposes.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I wish I could get an actual credit card... (New credit. So new not even Best Buy will give me credit. No one will! Except a furniture store)

But, alas.

Anyway--the sign is there. I think any smart person would go "aw shit" and move on to the next hotel.

But these people tend not to be smart....
              My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

A wisely used credit card is free!

It even makes you money if there's some sort of rewards program with it.

A credit card only ruins you financially if you carry balances on it from month to month. Pay off your balance to $0 every month and you don't have to pay a dime. Or at least you shouldn't. My bank doesn't at least.

Comment

Working...
                X