X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having a chat with Eleanor Rigby

All the lonely people
    Where do they all come from?

And more importantly, where did they get my store's phone number??!

Lonely old ladies sure do love to have 10 minute phone conversations about nothing when the store is terribly busy and we're shorthanded. Almost as if they're doing it on purpose.

And I still can't bring myself to tell them to shove it and get a life.

My horrible ingrained need to be nice and polite just encourages them to drone endlessly through every thought they've ever had.

And once I work them around until they're just about to say goodbye they say something like "you've been so very nice. You know I once knew someone who..." and start the vicious cycle all over again.

Now see if it's me (I do TRY not to be sucky like your caller) and someone has been unbelievably nice, then I'll tell them how nice they are and ask to speak to a supervisor so that I can put a compliment on their record ... but I DON'T break into another story about how I knew someone who knew someone who was someone's cousin's brother-in-law that was nice like them!

Comment

Oh how I'd long to wipe the dirt from my hands as I walk from HER grave..... maybe then she'd be QUIET
      - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

This topic made me think of two things.

1. Pip Pumhandle from Animaniacs. Voiced by Ben Stein.

2. The time I caught the ferry to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for m'shoe. So I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. "Gimme five bees for a quarter.", you'd say. Now where was I? Oh, yeah. The important thing was that I had an onion tied to my belt, which was the style at the time. You couldn't get white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
        To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Here's a possible response to the lonely elderly that isn't rude and might get them off the phone quicker:

"Excuse me Ma'am, but at your age, shouldn't you be out crossing off items from your bucket list while you can?".

:-)
          "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Oh, the chatty ones! Some of them are amusing, and some are a PITA. My favorite was a retired gentleman who used to work in a mine in Wales. He had a ton of stories and we probably talked for nearly an hour. Well, it wasn't busy that day, luckily...
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Give them each others phone numbers.
              Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
                "Excuse me Ma'am, but at your age, shouldn't you be out crossing off items from your bucket list while you can?". :-)
                The first item on her bucket list is to tell all of her stories to each person she talks to on the phone.
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                  2. The time I caught the ferry to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for m'shoe. So I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. "Gimme five bees for a quarter.", you'd say. Now where was I? Oh, yeah. The important thing was that I had an onion tied to my belt, which was the style at the time. You couldn't get white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
                  "Anyway, about my washtub...I just used it that morning to wash my turkey, which in those days was known as a "walking bird". We'd always have walking bird on Thanksgiving with all the trimmings: cranberries, injun eyes, yams stuffed with gunpowder! Then we'd all watch football, which in those days was called 'baseball'..."
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                    We'd always have walking bird on Thanksgiving with all the trimmings:
                    And, of course, we had to walk to the Thankgiving dinner table, and back home again afterwards, uphill both ways in the driving snow while it was a balmy 98 degrees outside...We had to share a pair of shoes among the fourteen of us, too...
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I love chatty old people! They brighten up my day at ye olde financial institution, with their talk of The War and Way Back When and My Day so Far and Modern Things That Cause Confusion. And they always compliment and notice things that others don't (the first person to comment on my engagement ring was an older lady ) and are so very polite. My favorite members are my elderly regulars!

...but, on the same token, I totally feel ya with the whole, "ummm busy, gotta go, but...don't want to hurt your feelings! Ahh!" Sometimes, you just want to tell someone that they've got to go now so you can help other patrons, no matter how sweet they are.

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                      "Anyway, about my washtub...I just used it that morning to wash my turkey, which in those days was known as a "walking bird". We'd always have walking bird on Thanksgiving with all the trimmings: cranberries, injun eyes, yams stuffed with gunpowder! Then we'd all watch football, which in those days was called 'baseball'..."
                      "Baseball? That some new-fangled slang, sonny? We played stickball in my day. With an actual stick, and some slightly round piece of what-have-you that somebody picked up off the street. And we didn't watch nobody else playing, oh no. We didn't have these 'radios you watch' back then (waste o' money, if you ask me)."
                      Last edited by Boozy; 07-31-2010, 12:37 PM. Reason: merging posts

Comment

Working...
                      X