This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The return that defies description.

Ok this happened a long time ago, when I was working as a cashier for Wally World. I was often put into the returns area, since I was one of the few who would have everything straightened up and in its place by the end of the night. Luckily third shift rarely got returns, but when we do...oh when we do...

When I say that this defies description, I mean the item a customer tried to return. It was black and had no markings, and the most important part..no holes (this is important) anywhere. Of course the customer didn't have a receipt, or a box. I couldn't to this day tell you WHAT it was. It was square(ish)..if that helps at all. I won't even mention the fact that it was impossible to tell how old it was, since there was no way to tell what it was.

M - Me
    CSM - My supervisor
    SASM - Spineless Assistant Manager
    SC - Guess

M- Hi can I help you?
    SC - "Yes, I bought this pool pump at your <next town over> wally world. I'd like to return it."
    M - *Notices lack of holes, and the fact that it wouldn't hold much water*. That is ok, do you have a receipt?
    SC - No, but I just bought it, and got it home and it didn't work. It was 89.99 plus tax.
    M - Well, do you at least have the box it came in (there would be at least hope if so..I could at least look it up.)
    SC - No, I am kind of in a hurry, could we move this alone please?
    M - I am sorry..without a box, a receipt, or any markings..I can not return this item.
    SC - I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS, I JUST BOUGHT IT FROM <next town over>, AND IT DOESN'T WORK. I WANT MY MONEY BACK..GET A MANAGER.
    M - *holding ears in pain, pages manager*
    It takes a few minutes, but the CSM comes over.
    I start to explain everything to them.
    SC - *does the talk to the hand bit, and hisses at me like a cat. Then in a raised voice* I JUST BOUGHT THIS POOL PUMP FROM <next town over> WALLY WORLD, IT DOESN'T WORK, AND I WANT MY MONEY BACK.
    CSM - *goes through everything I did, check item for ANY markings, asks for receipt, etc*
    SC - I ALREADY EXPLAINED TO M THAT I DON'T HAVE THE BOX OR THE RECEIPT, BUT I JUST BOUGHT IT. WHY IS THIS SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND?!
    CSM - *repeating exactly what I said* Sir, there is no markings on the item, without a box or receipt we can't even tell what this item IS, let alone refund your money.
    SC - I JUST TOLD YOU WHAT IT IS AND HOW MUCH IT COST, NOW GET ME MY MONEY!
    CSM - *Calls over SASM. Starts to explain*
    SC *Does the talk to the hand bit, and hisses at CSM like a cat. In a raised voice, repeats everything.* By now I am getting worried that SC is going to have a stroke..the SC is turning PURPLE from screaming.
    SASM - Do the return, 89.99 plus tax.
    M and CSM -
    CSM - You are doing the override.
    SASM - Ok.

So SASM returns an object that is a 'pool pump' that has no holes. Now I am no genius..but in order to suck up water..isn't at least ONE hole needed..plus this thing was like 2 feet x 2 feet x 2 feet (roughly) so it wouldn't HOLD much water..so a second hole would be needed most likely.
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Okay...I grew up with a pool. There is nothing I can think of, and I mean NOTHING, on the pump system (and it does comprise multiple parts, mind) that remotely resembles what this jackhole was returning. And the only thing I can think of that can stand alone and that someone might refer to as a "pool pump" is a hose attachment that's only about 5 inches across and that most definitely has holes in it.

Boo on that SASM!

Comment

That's a head scratcher alright. From your description of the guy's behaviour he either believed it was a faulty pump, or a hell of an actor. I'm talking "Raging Bull" era DeNiro.

Could he have purchased the wrong item?

Comment

*blink, blink*

Um, could it have been something he found on the street and decided that Wally World takes back everything and get some money out of the deal?

That assistant manager blows, by the way. Companies wonder why they lose so much money in shrink, but they insist on promoting/hiring ass-nuggets like this.
        "So, let's build a snowman! We can make him our best friend. We can name him Bob or we can name him Beowulf! We can make him tall, or we can make him not so tall!"

Comment

I've said before, and I'm saying it again. Now I get to pay more for the things I need because of people like him. Woo hoo.

Comment

Our local Wally World will take pretty much anything back. BUT it has to be something they sell...usually. Which means SC might've gotten his way here also.
            A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I think that these companies really should start enforcing their receipt policies. Not only does it do they lose money, but they encourage burn out from their employees for having to get into these kind of confrontations with people only to be undermined by their supervisors. I HATE giving something to a person just because they're having a fit. It's like giving a child who's having a tantrum a cookie. It's totally counter intuitive. I myself won't even consider taking something back unless I have the receipt before I leave my house.

And that person KNEW what they were doing. Any adult understands the return/receipt concept. These are the same people who want absolute proof of something before they'll pay a bill or fine but then turn around and expect us to take their word for it.
              Last edited by Dips; 08-10-2010, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Wow, so I can just pick up random junk and return it to Wally World regardless of what it even is as long as I scream and act like a little ? I won't because I don't think I'm a complete jerk, but it's interesting to know. Sorry you had to deal with that. Sucky managers are almost worse than sucky customers!
                !
                "For truth is always strange; stranger than fiction." -- Lord Byron

Comment

*Sniff.....sniff......* What's that I smell?

Ahhhh Yes! The favorite meal of many SC's!

Scamaroni and Sleaze!

Mike
                  Meow.........

Comment

Yeah, not to mention if you JUST bought it (which I doubt they did) I might see loosing the receipt...but the BOX it came in? I've seen some interesting things returned in Wally World, but something that nobody in the store could identify? That is something that will stick in my head for years to come.
                    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Seriously sounds like the person was pulling a scam, bet that if you picked up the phone and called to police in front of them they would have bolted for the door.

Comment

It's not much better where I work.
                        Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
                          Yeah, not to mention if you JUST bought it (which I doubt they did) I might see loosing the receipt...but the BOX it came in? I've seen some interesting things returned in Wally World, but something that nobody in the store could identify? That is something that will stick in my head for years to come.
                          I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who though that despite having "just bought it" the fact that the SC no longer had the box was just a wee bit suspicious...

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                            Our local Wally World will take pretty much anything back. BUT it has to be something they sell...usually. Which means SC might've gotten his way here also.
                            They wont take a money order back :angry:
                            Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Working...
                            X