This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harder Than Geometry!

Just a few Depressingly numerous fail moments from my last SCO shift.

The First Time Should Have Been A Clue
    So a woman and what I assume are her two daughters come up with six gallon jugs of water. They get their card in, then manage to scan and bag the first one without problems.

Then they scan the second, hit Skip Bagging, and pick up both the first and second and put them back in the cart.
    They then wonder what's wrong.
    Then put both in the bag.
    Then figure out the reason, put the first back in the bag area and the second in the cart.

Then they scan the third, hit Skip Bagging, and pick up both the first and third and put them back in the cart...

Yeah, I'm not typing the rest. You can guess. Isn't there a motivational image somewhere that says insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results?

That Is Actually Not At All What I Meant
    So a customer is getting towards the end of her order, scans a big 10-pack of paper towels, and hits Skip Bagging. This is fine. It's a perfectly appropriate use of The Button.

Except then she crams the end of the paper towel pack into a bag and puts it on top of her other bagged groceries. Which alerts me that an unscanned item has been added to the bagging area, and so I go over and inform her that if she hits Skip Bagging and then bags the item anyway, the machine gets confused.

So she picks the paper towels up... then pulls the bag off the end and sets them back down in the bagging area.

...sigh.

Thank You For Summarizing The Entire SCO Experience
    I forget what happened in this order. I know there were a bunch of dumb mistakes and rampant abuse of The Button. But anyway, the young woman responsible finishes up her order, then turns to me and says, in a perfect Valley Girl voice:

"Oh. My. GAWD. Why is this so hard? It's like, harder than Geometry!"

Ladies and gentlemen, the sum of all my SCO customers.

This Is Sadly Common
    (Not suck, just obliviousness/brain fart. But on-topic.)
    So pretty much all our produce requires a quantity entry at this point, and a lot of it won't ring up with a UPC. You have to type the PLU. However, certain items will ring up on the UPC and then immediately go to the quantity screen. Sometimes, customers don't realize this has happened and mistakenly believe they're on the PLU entry screen. They don't even notice when the number stops after two digits.

So a customer scans a watermelon. $4.99 because she didn't use her card, which really only served to make the conclusion more absurd. Anyway, it pops up with that quantity screen and she dutifully types in the PLU, 4032. She doesn't notice the screen only says 40. Yep, 40 watermelons.

She also fails to notice the "40 @ 4.99" on her screen (that's $199.60, if you're keeping count).
    Or the nearly $200 price.
    OR the suddenly-larger subtotal (over $300).
    OR her abnormally-high total (about $320).

...until after she runs her credit card and pays. I can't fix it at this point anyway, and even if I could, a $200 refund ($205.59 after tax) would break my drawer and then some, so she gets to go over to the desk to have it refunded to her card.

How Do You Screw It Up This Badly?
    This isn't customer fail, but instead fail for whichever coworker sets up the deli's UPCs. Right now, fried chicken is on sale, from $1.99 per piece down to $1.00 per piece. For some reason, this is a problem. The chicken dinners (basically, either a 2-piece, 4-piece, or 8-piece box) are insisting we ring them on a quantity when we scan them. Okay, this is fine. But then they ring up at a ridiculous price (I think $3.99 apiece this time, though when this started it was $13.49 apiece) and then mark down to the proper price.

It gets extra fun on SCO, where the customer scans the chicken, and is told to enter a quantity. Then the computer beeps angrily at them, and informs them that quantity rings are not permitted on this item. So I have to go over and scan it for them on my handheld, at which point I enter the quantity, and that is accepted.

Except this time.
    This time, I did all that, but it didn't discount.
    I hit Total to see if that would do it (sometimes our rewards card doesn't catch up until the end).
    Nothing, so I voided it off and re-rang it to see if that would solve it. Nope.
    Hit total again? Nope.
    He had a four-piece, so it's sale price would be just slightly higher than a single piece at the oddly high full price. So I try that.
    It rings up 1 @ 3.99, then gives him a $4 discount for no apparent reason.
    (Sigh) Okay, I try to void that off... But now it wants a quantity.
    And then says it's not a quantity item.
    After playing with it a bit, I finally manage to void that off, and just hand-ring the stupid thing as "$4.00 Deli". Which we're not allowed to do, but I don't care anymore.

And One More Coworker Fail
    Whenever the cash office for some reason can't fill up the SCO cash dispensers fully, they fill the rest with these little voucher slips that are about the same size as a dollar bill, but look kinda like Monopoly money. Then the customer brings them up to the SCO desk and we switch them out for actual cash.

Except, for some reason, today someone put $20 voucher slips in the $5 dispenser bin. I caught the mistake pretty quickly and made sure to double-check the amount of change they were supposed to be getting. What I forgot, however, was to tell the cashier who covered my lunch about it.

Drawer was down about $60 in tonight's closing count...
    » Horse Words «·» Roleplaying Stuff «

I am amazed by these (and other) SCO stories.

Most trouble I ever have is when my half-and-half won't scan cause the container is swollen.
    "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

Shiny wrapping and crinkled barcodes are the bane of those of us who actually know how to use the SCOs. I've actually stopped scanning my own stuff to help the witless who can't seem to figure out The Button and why if you use it you shouldn't put your items on the bagging area.
      Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

I have to admit, SCOs confuse the hell out of me some times. I at least know that the 'bagging area' is a scale and thus when it says to bag your stuff, just put it in the damn area. However I wasn't familiar with the fact that if something borks (ex: it thinks you put too much in the bagging area), that the SCO attendant will have to do something before I can continue, not just that I should remove whatever was confusing it.

This is mainly because the only time I use a SCO is at home depot (which I don't go to that often), but still, I always feel a bit of a tool when I screw something up on them :P

Comment

I love the SCO at my grocery store, but it doesn't like my canvas (store branded) bags. I have to have it cleared every time I shop. And heaven forbid I should shift an item - it will tell me "unknown item", lol. The covering cashiers are getting to know me and now they just hang around nearby to clear the errors for me.

Comment

Quoth KabeRinnaul View Post
            My response: Ma'am the phrase is harder than theoretical physics, and it doesn't mean difficult...

Comment

Quoth thansal View Post
              However I wasn't familiar with the fact that if something borks (ex: it thinks you put too much in the bagging area), that the SCO attendant will have to do something before I can continue, not just that I should remove whatever was confusing it.
              That is all you have to do. Unfortunately, the response my customers usually have is instead:

Stare at screen.
              Stare at screen more.
              Poke screen. Poke screen. Poke screen. Slap screen.
              Press "Call Attendant."
              Shout "WHY AIN'T IT WORKIN"
              Stare at me as I explain.
              Shout "I AIN'T PUT NOTHIN IN THERE I AIN'T SCANNED"
              Rant and complain as I give up and just override the weight difference.

Comment

Wow, am I really so unusual that before I swipe my card, I actually, y'know, check the total so that I know what I am getting charged and so I can tell if it seems off? And we wonder why there is so much debt... people obviously can't even pay attention for the 5 seconds it takes to check the total and make sure you can afford it/it's correct.
                "So, let's build a snowman! We can make him our best friend. We can name him Bob or we can name him Beowulf! We can make him tall, or we can make him not so tall!"

Comment

If you think it is harder than Geometry, it is only because you are exceedingly obtuse.
                  The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                  "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                  Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                    If you think it is harder than Geometry, it is only because you are exceedingly obtuse.
                    That pun causes me acute pain.

Comment

That pun causes me acute pain.
                      Just plying the angles.
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

This is starting to vector off topic.
                        My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Are we going off on a tangent?
                          Seshat's self-help guide:
                          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Sines of the times. Or maybe if se can or if se can't.
                            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Heh, I found Geometry the easiest of all the various maths. And this is coming from someone who thinks a logarythm is a drum made from a tree trunk!

Oh, and I love all these graph-ic puns!
                              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                              My LiveJournal
                              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                              X