Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Do I Like Working In Pharmacy Again?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Do I Like Working In Pharmacy Again?

I knew yesterday was going to be one of those days. My shift started yesterday half an hour before the pharmacy opened. We are standing in the pharmacy getting ready to open when we noticed a little old lady sitting on the bench outside the gate waiting for us to open. All of a sudden, she let out the loudest most obnoxious belch I've ever heard! I was the only guy working in the pharmacy at the time and my coworkers all thought it was me! Luckily for me, the pharmacist that was working with us heard her do it as well and verified that it wasn't me!

A little bit later I was asked to call a customer at home to get his new insurance info because his prescription was rejecting saying he was not covered by the plan we had on file. This was a prime example of why I hate calling people at home to get new insurance information. He had about a dozen different cards in his wallet and he had no idea which one was his current prescription coverage. I will never understand why people keep their old cards after a new one comes. After 23 minutes on the phone and entering in the information on 11 different cards, I finally found the one that worked.

Later we got a call from a vet regarding a refill request we sent for a prescription for a dog. The vet told us that she was denying the refill request until the dog was seen at her office. Again, I was asked to call the customer. Bear in my mind that our company has decided HIPAA appllies to animals as well, therefore I cannot talk to anyone other than the person we have listed as the dog's owner. So I called the house and asked to speak with the owner of the dog. The phone was answered by an old lady who I gather was a bit senile. This woman turned out to be the mother of the dog's owner. She demanded that I tell her who I was and what I was calling about. I politely explained that I could not discuss it with her and I needed to talk to the dog's owner. I again asked her if the owner was available. Her response was "I don't see any reason to answer your questions until you answer mine."

I again explained that for privacy reasons I could not discuss the issue with anyone but the owner of the dog. The lady persisted that she would not give me any further information until I identified myself and the reason I was calling. Finally I gave up. I got off the phone and I put a note on the dog's account stating that I tried to call the owner, but the person who answered the phone refused to let me speak to them. So they will have to wait until they come in to be told about the refill denial.

The last incident of the day involved a woman who came in to pick up prescriptions for her kids. She stated that she was expecting 15 prescriptions total for herself and 4 different kids. As it turned out, the doctor had not yet called them in so we ended up looking up all the meds for these kids and calling the doctor ourself for her. It ended up being quite difficult. First of all, each kid had a different last name (!) and the doctor that they use is a doctor who is contracted with Medicaid in our state and as a result he is a major jerk. It took us almost an hour to get all the prescriptions called in, billed to Medicaid (a few needed prior authorizations), and finally fill them. We got it all set for her and did she thank us? Nope, she bitched about how long it took and threatened to start using another pharmacy. Please do, LOL.

Ugh, I got home and took a couple of aspirins. There is little doubt in my mind about what I want to do regarding the job bid.

So you're not even allowed to say that you're calling from the pharmacy? I'm guessing you get a lot of people who won't pass you on to the person you're calling for. That must be a bummer.

Comment

Why the heck is it your problem if the doctor hasn't called in the prescriptions? Arrgh, that would drive me crazy! The customer should be calling the doctor's office. They could have faxed or emailed in the scrips and had it done in 5 minutes. Of course, with 15 meds I'm sure the SC would still have bitched that it took a while to fill them.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Huh, we never had that HIPAA issue with animals when I worked at a pet pharmacy. Of course, this was about a year and a half ago so maybe the laws changed, or are different in different states. But, we would have to call pet owners all the time to verify information, or tell them that a script has no more refills, or what have you. We would call the number on file for the customer, and whenever someone answered, our standard greeting was always, "Hello, this is <my name> calling from <name of pet pharmacy.> May I speak to <name of customer> please?" If the person asked what it was about, we were allowed to say a general description of whatever it was about, like, "I need to verify some information regarding <pet name> for a prescription that <customer> requested." If the person who answered said that they were the customer's spouse or roommate or what have you and could answer questions about the animal, we could ask them the question directly and get the answers from them.

I don't see how stating your name and that you're calling from a pharmacy is a violation of HIPAA...if the person who answers is nosey enough to ask the person you're calling for what the call is about, they're likely going to ask regardless of whether you tell them you're from a pharmacy or not. Not blaming the OP, of course, just saying that I don't really understand the law/policy. And as Magpie said, that is a bummer. I know that if someone called for my husband and I answered and they wanted to speak to him but refused to tell me who they were or where they were calling from, I would hang up.

What do you do in the case that you get an answering machine? Are you allowed to leave a message stating that you're calling from a pharmacy and you need the customer to call them back?

Comment

He tells them hes from a pharmacy, but hes not allowed to discuss why. When I worked for a very confidential company, I was under similar restrictions. If I left a message, I could leave my name, my title and my phone number. No details.

edit: i see the whole "cant tell you who i am" line now. I dont know whats up with that. Hell I get automated calls from a machine telling whoever picks up my phone that my prescription is ready.
          Last edited by Whiskey; 08-04-2010, 04:47 PM.
          Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

We are not allowed to say that we are calling from the pharmacy. If I have to leave a message on a machine or with someone else, I can only state the name of the supermarket I work for and that the message is in regards to the customer's order with us. Saying the word "pharmacy" or "prescription" is a violation of our company policy. They say this is due to HIPAA, but I think they are overdoing it.

I get yelled at all the time. Someone's spouse will answer the phone and want to know what it's about, or they will ask if it's in regard to a prescription. I have to reply that I can't discuss it with them. Sometimes they get very angry but I can't help it. I have to follow our policy. Especially older people get upset. They don't understand why I can't discuss their spouses prescriptions with them.

Comment

I understand helping people out, but that lady in the last story? WTF? She shouldve been told to come back when she got stuff figured out. Like you dont have enough to do already.

Comment

You certainly know HIPPA better than I do, but I can't imagine how it would be a violation to tell somebody you're calling them from a pharmacy and their prescription is ready.

I would certainly think it would be a violation if you named the pharmaceuticals involved ("O hai Mr. Johnson, your boner pills are ready."). I think your employer is just being paranoid.
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Ive never heard anything related to hippa about not disclosing that you're a pharmacy, so it seems to be company policy. They're still stating theyre from <store>, so it should be obvious to the script holder its about their prescription. Its not a bad policy.

Comment

It is a company policy. Apparently our company thinks that even disclosing the fact that the person has a prescription could violate HIPAA. I work for a supermarket pharmacy,so I don't know how it works with actual chain pharmacy stores. I wonder what stores like Walgreens, CVS, or RiteAid say when they have to call someone at home regarding a prescription.

Even so, I leave our phone number on the answering machine or with the person I talk to. They could easily call the number right back and immediately find out that it rings into the pharmacy. I think HIPAA is stupid personally. There is no privacy. Anyone can walk in and pick up another person's prescription simply by verifying their address and if it is a new prescription the pharmacist is able to counsel that person on it so they can relay the information to the patient.

The only way you are going to get total privacy at any retail pharmacy is if you walk in wearing a burqa and instruct them not to call you at home or allow anyone but you pick up your prescriptions.

Comment

Quoth RxBoy View Post
                      The only way you are going to get total privacy at any retail pharmacy is if you walk in wearing a burqa and instruct them not to call you at home or allow anyone but you pick up your prescriptions.
                      I've never worn a burqa, I dont know why thats relevant, but all my scripts are under specific instruction to release them to no one but me and release no information to anyone but me without prior written approval from me.

Pharmacy's really should ID though.

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
                        I've never worn a burqa, I dont know why thats relevant, but all my scripts are under specific instruction to release them to no one but me and release no information to anyone but me without prior written approval from me.

Pharmacy's really should ID though.
                        The burqa is a garment worn by some groups in the Middle East-while it is an option for Muslim women to dress up, it is by no means a requirement. It covers the entire body, face included. Hence the comment.

Also, your pharmacy fills animal prescriptions? We just get ours from the vet every month or so....
                        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart17 View Post
                          Also, your pharmacy fills animal prescriptions? We just get ours from the vet every month or so....
                          Depending on what it is, a vet might not stock it, or it might be cheaper to get it from a regular pharmacy. Not stuff like flea and tick and heartworm preventatives necessarily, but antibiotics like generic amoxicillin or something.

Comment

Quoth RxBoy View Post
                            We are not allowed to say that we are calling from the pharmacy. If I have to leave a message on a machine or with someone else, I can only state the name of the supermarket I work for and that the message is in regards to the customer's order with us. Saying the word "pharmacy" or "prescription" is a violation of our company policy. They say this is due to HIPAA, but I think they are overdoing it.

I get yelled at all the time. Someone's spouse will answer the phone and want to know what it's about, or they will ask if it's in regard to a prescription. I have to reply that I can't discuss it with them. Sometimes they get very angry but I can't help it. I have to follow our policy. Especially older people get upset. They don't understand why I can't discuss their spouses prescriptions with them.
                            Your pharmacy is overdoing it. HIPPA protects personal health information. The name of a pharmacy is not personal information. Personal information is things like DOB, address, SSN, diagnosis, list of meds.

Many people don't understand what HIPPA is supposed to do, so they either go overboard with compliance, or get upset when they can't get information on another person the way they think they should.
                            They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth MaggieTheCat View Post
                              Depending on what it is, a vet might not stock it, or it might be cheaper to get it from a regular pharmacy. Not stuff like flea and tick and heartworm preventatives necessarily, but antibiotics like generic amoxicillin or something.
                              The most common medications that we dispense for animals are amoxicillin (antibiotic), phenobarbital (seizures), Xanax (usually to calm down dogs that are scared of thunderstorms), and insulin (for diabetic animals).

We don't dispense medications that are specifically intended for pets such as flea or heartworm medicine or vaccinations.

Comment

Working...
                              X