This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NO ROOMS!

This isn't bloody difficult. No rooms, means NO rooms. I'm sold out. I have no room for you to sleep.. No beds available, no vacancy.. How many other ways can I say go away?

Also, coming in to a note paper clipped to my time card that says I've been written up for 'not supplying enough breakfast / intentionally shorting a co-worker". This is the most bs thing I've ever heard.. and I am KEEPING it to take to the regional manager who I have to go see soon ANYWAY. Apparently I'm supposed to pull a backup backup outta my arse.. that was the start to my night.

Guy calls in the middle of some party, asking for the price of rooms. I tell him, nicely, I don't have any. "That doesn't matter, I want the price."
    Fine. I tell him the price and he hangs up.

I am in the middle of checking in an off duty officer from across the river, and lo and behold, the party animal arrives. He hits the button to call in, and i pick up the phone, "Yes, can I help you?"

"I need to get a room."

"sorry sir, I'm sold out. I have none."

"You told me on the phone you have PLENTY of rooms!"

No. No. What I TOLD you was I was SOLD out while asking you to go to a room with less people so you could hear me clearly. When you asked the price, I told you SEVENTY not PLENTY.

He made a scene and the officer, who's here for her birthday, tells him to get off the property and drop the attitude, or she's calling APD. Being off duty, she doesn't have her badge displayed at her hip (nor is she wearing it.). He gets in her face and says, "Who do you think you are, bitch."

She smiled sweetly, held up the badge, and told him, "I'm a cop. From across the river, and while you're out of my jurisdiction, I have PLENTY of friends IN APD, who'd LOVE to pick you up for harassing the desk clerk. Now. Go on. Leave."

She's the ONLY good thing to happen tonight.

I have a lady who calls me for directions, tells me she's 30 minutes OUT of [my town] in another town.
    Where she actually was, was right up the street.
    Sorry I made you turn into a place I Knew where to start, to get you here. IF you don't know where you are to START with, how am I supposed to get you here?

If it weren't for the fact I need to work today, I'd call J in instead and call me a cab home. I feel sick but hey, I'm still here.

You have my full sympathy, superhotelworker.
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Thanks Kristev. Glad someone cares if the desk clerks go postal. :P

Comment

Hey, I care too! I've gotten the 20 questions when we're sold out, when really 1 should be enough. Ideally it would be:

Do you have any vacancies?
        No, I'm sold out. Sorry.

In reality it's more like:

Do you have any vacancies?
        No I'm sold out. Sorry.
        Can I get a room?
        I don't have any left.
        None whatsoever?
        I have none
        Don't you keep rooms to the side for when you sell out?
        No, and if we did, those would be occupied as well.

Sorry to hear about the writeup. It sounds like a load of bull. If you don't have backup you don't have backup. It's probably because it's busy and they went through your batter more quickly than you expected.
        To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Thanks Hero.
          Ya know, I get the first conversation from locals who go "Eh, I'll go home" (Usually).

Everyone else that didn't plan ahead.. COMPLETELY different story.

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
            Don't you keep rooms to the side for when you sell out?
            No, and if we did, those would be occupied as well.
            uh wait, WHY would we do that? You have either two situations:

-You fill up all the rooms and then access your SIDE ROOMS which you then don't sell... so that they're available when people come asking.
            -You fill up all the rooms including your SIDE ROOMS, so you're still sold out... where supposedly you're now supposed to get side rooms from...

The point is TO sell out. In doing so one makes 100% of the potential income for that day. People get rooms, Hotel gets money, Boss gets mellow... there's absolutely no reason to have mysterious side rooms that one holds onto. And how would you even do that? start decorating a nearby warehouse? have some inflatable ones on the property?
            Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!

Comment

Quoth MrSmiley View Post

-You fill up all the rooms and then access your SIDE ROOMS which you then don't sell... so that they're available when people come asking.
              -You fill up all the rooms including your SIDE ROOMS, so you're still sold out... where supposedly you're now supposed to get side rooms from...

The point is TO sell out. In doing so one makes 100% of the potential income for that day. People get rooms, Hotel gets money, Boss gets mellow... there's absolutely no reason to have mysterious side rooms that one holds onto. And how would you even do that? start decorating a nearby warehouse? have some inflatable ones on the property?
              I think what they're really asking you to do is to turn all those other people away and save a room just for lil ol' them, just on the off chance they need a room.

And if you tell them "No" what you're really doing is just being a big meaniehead. EVERYONE knows that all hotels, motels, bed & breakfasts, youth hostels, etc. are REQUIRED by LAW to always have a room set aside just for ME!

'Cause I'm special!

Didn't one of our fellow posters get told that many moons ago? During another crazy busy holiday weekend?
              I have a map of the world. It's actual size.

-- Steven Wright

Comment

Quoth MrSmiley View Post

Ah, come on, you know you have rooms. They saw on some obscure TV show how huge fancy hotels in major cities keep a few rooms aside for "special" people such as the owner, or billionaires, or royalty. So of course that means every average little hotel in every average little town has them too (in case the Queen or Bill Gates stops by, of course). And of course they're every bit as special as those people too, and they saw it on TV, it has to be true. So why can't you just admit it, and give them the Queen's room, for heaven's sake?

Madness takes it's toll....
                Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth MrSmiley View Post
                  You fill up all the rooms including your SIDE ROOMS, so you're still sold out... where supposedly you're now supposed to get side rooms from...
                  That's what you wave the SIDE SIDE ROOMs for, of course!
                  "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

I was asked...."dont you keep rooms aside for emergencies"

Comment

So...you don't have any rooms? Are you sure? Have you looked in the back? I need a room you see.

I do admit to having gone to events without booking a room in advance, and somehow I've managed to score a place to stay every occasion except once. I am lucky sometimes .
                      The one time when I didn't know where to get a cheap place to stay I had to sleep outside. It was in mid-November, and temps were probably somewhere like 5-10 below freezing. Good thing it was only for 4-5 hours .
                      Last edited by Skelly; 09-06-2010, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Quoth 50 mission cap View Post
                        Yes... cause I can PLAIN for emergencies. *bonks head on desk*

Comment

You have my sympathies.

I get the same thing with flights. You see, they're not REALLY sold out when I say 'sold out'. So, PLEASE commence asking me 42 different ways if I'm sure the flights are sold out.
                          "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

I spent 6 weeks at Joward Hohnson's nearly a decade ago. I do not envy you the front desk position at all. In fact, I envy your ability to DO the job. Because I remember the headaches (I worked 3-11pm shift) and the heartache and the LIES people insisted on telling the managers.

KUDOS to you. Seriously.
                            Teach a SC to fish... and they will whine about you not catching, filleting, frying, and serving it up on a silver platter for them. - EvilEmpryss

Comment

Quoth 50 mission cap View Post
                              What do you think the response would have been had you replied "yes, but someone already came in with an emergency, so I sold them our emergency room"?

Comment

Working...
                              X