This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just another random jerk-off

This happened the day that I broke up with my boyfriend, (see OT threads), so I'm already feeling like crap but I still try to smile pretty and complete my shift. But anyway, when I was a bit busy and bringing a tray of two beers and four waters to a table, one dropped. And then another. And another....until the whole tray was just laying on the floor. It looked like slow-mo in a movie; you just stared at it, mystified, until it registered that there were drinks all over the floor.

I apologized profusely, and our wonderful bus boy helped to pick the mess up. I had accidentally dropped some liquid onto another table, and they had more of a right to be pissed off than the people who the drinks were intended for, since they got slightly spilled on. But they just laughed it off and I moved them to another table. The people who were supposed to get the drinks, however, treated me like I was some kind of retard for the rest of their meal. I got them their food and replacement drinks quickly, but this one man would make snide comments like: "Now when our food comes, we won't be wearing it, right?" Way to kick a girl when she's down! (Mind you, that was only the second time I have dropped a tray in my entire waitressing life; the other time was about a year ago).
    "If you are planning not to tip, please let your server know before ordering so they can decide whether or not to wait on you" - from an advice column I read some time ago

Quoth Giggle Goose View Post
    but this one man would make snide comments like: "Now when our food comes, we won't be wearing it, right?" Way to kick a girl when she's down!

When are people going to realize that comments like these may not be as funny as they think?
    Well fiddle dee dee!!

Comment

Oh, but silly Goose!
      SCs are perfect and never make mistakes!
      ~~*

"No! You can take the kids, but you leave me my monkey." - WALK HARD: THE DEWEY COX STORY

Comment

The little devil Phe on my shoulder might consider "accidentally" tripping and flinging the entire tray of hot food all over them when you brought it out....but nah, the angel Phe on my other shoulder usually wins out. Darn it.

Comment

Quoth Giggle Goose View Post
          but this one man would make snide comments like: "Now when our food comes, we won't be wearing it, right?"
          "Just keep it up, buddy..."

Yet another member of the Big Mouth And No Manners Club, I see...
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

but this one man would make snide comments like: "Now when our food comes, we won't be wearing it, right?
            This is where you "accidentally" trip and the jerkoff does end up wearing his food.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth SnapAddict218 View Post
              When are people going to realize that comments like these may not be as funny as they think?
              A better question would be, when are people going to realize that comments like these might cause a less ethical server to spit in their food?

Comment

Quoth AFpheonix View Post
                The little devil Phe on my shoulder might consider "accidentally" tripping and flinging the entire tray of hot food all over them when you brought it out....but nah, the angel Phe on my other shoulder usually wins out. Darn it.
                I always wanted an excuse to use this one!!!!!!
                Unseen but seeing
                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                3rd shift needs love, too
                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Mighty Girl View Post
                  A better question would be, when are people going to realize that comments like these might cause a less ethical server to spit in their food?
                  I always treat the servers like gold...to prevent things like that. Of course if the service sucks, I complain about it *after* I get the meal
                  Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Kind of OT - I remember the first time I had dropped a tray waiting tables. It was about two years before I finally did so and I broke my "never dropped a tray" streak in fine fashion - a HUGE tray LOADED with the heaviest plates possible for the restaurant I worked at during this time.

I lifted the tray from the expo line, realized that I positioned the plates wrong- but realized it too late as it tipped away off my shoulder and with the LOUDEST crash I've ever heard in a restaurant.

The tray was for a large party. So, there were two total. I took the one tray that was still okay out to the table and said, "That loud crash? That was the rest of the order. I'll have it out in just a moment. I apologize." Mind you, I was also wearing some of the food that splattered up and I pointed and said, "this was your chicken pasta and this was your nachos. But we couldn't save them!"

They laughed and joked and seemed as if they had a good time...then tipped me badly. *sigh*
                    "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Quoth Mighty Girl View Post
                      Exactly! BE NICE to the people who handle your food!!
                      He loves the world...except for all the people.
                      --Men at Work

Comment

Quoth friendofjimmyk View Post
                        Kind of OT - I remember the first time I had dropped a tray waiting tables. <snip> They laughed and joked and seemed as if they had a good time...then tipped me badly. *sigh*
                        I saw that one coming.
                        Unseen but seeing
                        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                        3rd shift needs love, too
                        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Back in the days when I worked for Red and White Stripes and Flair Restaurant, I would be clearing a table of dirty dishes, and I would take all of them....to the point where the people would look at me and wonder how the hell I was going to make it back to the kitchen with this huge pile of dishes in my arms, balanced (seemingly to them) very precariously. And I would crack a grin and say, "It's days like this that make me wish I hadn't failed out of juggling school."

Then, a few minutes later, when I came back out to the table, I would look at them, and say, "Hey, did you hear that loud crash in the back a few moments ago?" They would say no and look surprised. And I would say, "Exactly!"

As for the dipshit that made the comment.....as the dude said, "They broke the cardinal rule. NEVER fuck with the person handling your food!"

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                          Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                          X