This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ice Storm 2007

Five years ago, we had a winter storm hover right at freezing and everything was covered in ice. I could hear branches starting to fall as I was leaving work and there was no power by the time I got home. It was sureal, not too cold to sit on the porch and and I could listen to the ice in the trees, like crystal chimes, well except for the *Crash* every 5 minutes.

The next three days were a blur. We got a truck a day, full of emergency supplies while having to do all transactions without the computer due to having just enougth power to turn on the lights.

Now this weekend we have a storm coming and the local media has been hyping it all week. This morning was non-stop people; Ice Melt, Snow Shovels, Heaters, De-icer, Lamp Oil, Kerosene and Do you have any Generators?? By noon, the sun came out and it was around 50 degrees and people seemed to realize that the world was not going to end today and they slowed down, but as we got closer to closing, people came back and "What do you mean you are out???"

Now we have an emergency truck of supplies coming tomorow, I'm sure it will show up right about when the rain starts. And then after another evening and morning of "Everybody Panic!!", I expect everyone will be back.

I had one lady buy 10 five gallon gas cans so she can power her generator. Several people called about generators, wanting us to reserve them. Not this time! After the ice storm, we had people who reserved generators but never came to get them. And then you have people demanding to buy one of the twenty you have, but can't because they are reserved.

Now here is the best part, if you check the Weather Channel, they are calling for rain. The say we might see a little snow on Sunday, but they are calling for highs in the 40s and 50s. And if this does go bust, I can imagine what Monday and Tuesday will be like with people trying to return Heaters, Generators, Snow shovels........
    "First time I ever seen a chainsaw go down anybody's britches,"

Heh. What's ice? Haven't seen any this winter...so far. :looking shifty:
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

-24 today with wind chill

buurrrrrrrr
      I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Reverse happens in Florida with hurricane season. Luckily, this year we didn't have any! Or if we did, I didn't hear about them. But all the "experts" were saying that this season would be the worst one yet. Nada. Zip. Zilch. We still have puh-lenty of generators left over from this hurricane season. We'll need them again just a few short months.
        Age and wisdom don't necessarily go together. Some people just become stupid with more authority.

"Who put the goat in there? The yellow goat I ate."

Comment

Quoth Kiwi View Post

buurrrrrrrr
          wimp.

it's minus 32 here. Before the windchill.

-43 with.

Comment

We have been hit bad this week with snow. Now not as bad as some places but enough to have people freak out. We don't get snow very often in Vancouver. I think that if you don't have to drive then don't bother going out there.

I unfortunatly had to get to work. a 20 min drive became 1 1/2 hours. I got there 15 min before opening instead of an hour. I had to dig my car out of the snow at the end of the day since it just didn't stop snowing all day.

Now on the drive to and from work there were reports that there were lots of roads closed and semi-trucks stuck or jack-knifed on hills so you would think that people would only go out if they had to. Nope, my dad, who is a mechanic, said that people were coming in for oil changes. Yes, for oil changes, which cost 30 dollars. So these people were willing to risk life and limb to get an oil change. I think your car can wait a day or two for that.

Comment

Quoth Kiwi View Post

buurrrrrrrr
              Temperature overnight, with windchill: -32

Welcome to Canada, Kiwi!

*Ducks snowballs*
              I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Speaking of ice storms, back in 2003 I got hit by a good one. Ice covered the trees and they were falling left and right. I had school that day, (Really, what's more important an education or a student's life when there are tree branches falling 50 feet away from kids?) Anyway, I did get school cancelled but man it was insane. Tree branches falling around everywhere, wires being knocked down, a bike trail was closed, and roads were so bad it was dumb to drive on them. Power was out all over the county and most of the region and the strange thing is I had power but I live in an old house that was built in the 1920s. Neighborhood is old, so we had the overhanging wires and we all had power but the new subdivision with the underground wiring didn't have power. Strange world isn't it?
                Last edited by ArenaBoy; 01-12-2007, 05:16 AM. Reason: Spelling
                The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

My sister in Saskatoon lives about 5 miles from school. Five hour drive home last night.

Comment

Quoth Spiffy McMoron View Post
                    Temperature overnight, with windchill: -32
                    It's about 27 degrees fahrenheit here. And that's cold by Pacific Northwest standards. I think I'll go for a walk, enjoy the light dusting of snow, and if I feel a chill, I'll just tell myself, "It could be seventy degrees colder."

By the way, shouldn't everyone already have all these emergency supplies?
                    You're not doing me a favor by eating here. I'm doing you a favor by feeding you.

Comment

Quoth Spiffy McMoron View Post
                      Welcome to Canada, Kiwi!
                      must...resist....urge....to....kill!!!!

and yeah you would think people would be prepared... but people suck. We still dont have sandbags.....
                      I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

The joys of living in the pacific northwest.
                        I walk to/from work. About 1/4 mile for me. I jacket and a scarf, and I'm good.
                        I think 20 is as low as we will go.

So, a collective HAHA to everbody with frostbite-butts!
                        :P
                        Things just get so crazy living life gets hard to do. I would gladly hit the road, get up and go if I knew,that someday it would bring me back to you.

Comment

Quoth saint View Post
                          So, a collective HAHA to everbody with frostbite-butts!
                          :P
                          Hehe can I get in on that? It's not cold at all here in SW PA. Since I've been in a few blizzards over the past 30 years, the current 30-40 F temps are *nothing*. And we have no ice/snow yet either. Whatever little snow flurries we get, they're gone by noon or sunup.

It kinda sucks though--I was hoping to have snow on Christmas...the first one in my own house
                          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth Sofar View Post
                            By the way, shouldn't everyone already have all these emergency supplies?

We're talking about the same kind of people who hear the word "snow", buy three months worth of groceries and get into fistfights over the last roll of toilet paper.
                            Unseen but seeing
                            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                            3rd shift needs love, too
                            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Yeah it was lightly snowing this morning. And by lightly, I mean a few itty bitty snowflakes that weren't even sticking to the road - the surface isn't cold enough yet. But that didn't stop everyone from wigging out and driving frigging 50 mph on the HIGHWAY that has a speed limit of 70. Took me FOREVER to get to work today because of having to dodge idiots driving dangerously slow. The real stuff hasn't even hit yet! You can bet when it does, suddenly everyone will want to drive the speed limit or faster. They'll think since the highways are plowed they can haul ass and won't end up in a ditch somewhere.

How I love the midwest!
                              I may be free from retail, but the nightmares still linger.....

Comment

Working...
                              X