This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worlds cheapest dad (language)

This happened Saturday at Wii got it. I was kinda sucky with my question to Terry, and my response to the guy. Things to know:
    1) This was Terry's customer.
    2) This guy had his 3 boys with him, the oldest couldn't have been more than 5.
    3) I really thought this guy was out of hearing range.
    4) There are 2 bins of action figures, the one on the left is worth $10 and the one on the right is worth $3.
    like this:
    [$10 bin] [ my little ponies ] [ barbies ] [$3 bin]

Somehow a $10 spiderman figure need up in the $3 bin and this guy was interested in it for his kid, Terry told him that it was a $10 figure and it somehow ended up in the wrong bin. The guy understood stuff like that happens and was nice enough about it so Terry said that he could have it for $3, here's where it gets sucky. He said since it was a mistake and in the wrong bin could he have it for $2? Terry told him again that it was a $10 figure he was already getting $7 off. He told Terry that this is a flea market and he's supposed to offer him a deal, Terry told the guy he was and he didn't like that to much. He told Terry that he was trying to rip him off and handed Terry the figure, saying that it looked like shit (it was in perfect shape) and headed over to Andy and Cathy's set up (dog and cat supplies), I only saw him hand the figure to Terry and walk away. I asked Terry "What happened, some guy too cheap to buy a toy for his kid?" Apparently he heard me, he turned to look at me pointed at me and said "Fuck you bitch!" I just smiled and told him that I could do better. I know I shouldn't have either, but after Terry told me about him, I can't believe how much of a cheap ass he was.
    ......../\
    ....../__\
    ..../\...../\
    ../__\../__\

No good deed goes unpunished.
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I say if you don't want to be called cheap, then don't go fishing for an 80% discount off something when you've already been offered a 70% discount on that very same thing.

Some people....
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Sarah Valentine View Post
        Apparently he heard me, he turned to look at me pointed at me and said "Fuck you bitch!"
        Sounds like you hit a nerve right on the head.
        Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

A perfectly conditioned action figure for $10 and that cheap bastard wanted $7-8 knocked off for it?! Idiot. Love that he got called out for his suckiness!
          I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
          Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
          Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

He can't accept a graceful offer and has to demand it be reduced even more? God, what a creep.
            Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

while it may be a flea market, it's up to the seller; he was offered a price, he declined and should have left.

true to sc character, he had to make a scene and was called out on it. i see no problem here.
              look! it's ghengis khan!
              Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Thank you, I told a couple of friends from Asshats & Pinheads I got a couple of laughs and a high five. My dad however told me I should have waited til I was sure he was out of hearing range or not to say stuff like that at all.
                ......../\
                ....../__\
                ..../\...../\
                ../__\../__\

Comment

Your dad was right on principle: if the guy had honestly been too broke to afford the extra dollar then it would have been rude.

Considering the circumstances, though, I don't think you did anything terribly wrong. If he was that broke (been there, done that) offering $2 for a $3 toy at a flea market would be no big deal, especially is you're going to buy more than one of them (three boys + three $3 toys = $9 with only a buck left out of ten to spend on dad or for bubble gum or whatever, but if you can save a buck on each toy then $4 can get each of them a hamburger at McD's on the way home, making it a special day).

But when he found he'd made a mistake with which one he'd picked up, was generously offered a major discount because of the error, and then proceed to make a scene because it wasn't enough of a discount, he put himself smack in the middle of "Asking For It" land. I can drive a hard bargain when I yard sale, but even *I* wouldn't offer $2 for something marked at $10 unless the thing was trashed.

I only wish the story could have ended with someone else overhearing the spat and offering to buy the toy for the $3 price before the guy left.
                  Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

He assumed it was in the $3 bin to begin with, so at that point that tells me that he had enough to buy it in the first place. Seeing that it was a mistake that was made, I think he just wanted to "punish" you by losing an extra $1 due to a simple mistake.

Comment

Here, I correct your story

Story starts "without being noticed, the SC put the $10 toy in the $3 dollar toy box, then pretended to find it in there, then..............."

Customer "why did you answer the phone if you can't help me?"

Comment

Oh, TelephoneAngel, I think you may have discovered the real truth.
                        Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Ya know, I never even thought of that. I just thought he was some guy being cheap, like the people with the GPS's.
                          ......../\
                          ....../__\
                          ..../\...../\
                          ../__\../__\

Comment

Working...
                          X