Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

That's DOCTOR Rabid Baseball Bat... (Old Story)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's DOCTOR Rabid Baseball Bat... (Old Story)

For 7 1/2 years, I worked for a state funded children's health insurance. I mostly did eligibility, which means that I processed the applications and decided who was eligible, who got the lower-end medicaid version, and who was over income or denied for some other reason. The good thing is that I didn't have to deal with the applicants face to face. The bad thing is that I still had to deal with them via phone.

Now, when someone called in, they initially get answered by the main call center. If they ask for one of us in Eligibility, the call center was supposed to transfer them after making sure we were at our desk (or available to take a call) and tell us WHO they were transferring. The lazy call center reps would cold transfer them to us instead, so I would have a nice little surprise waiting for me.

One day, they cold transferred a very angry man who was upset because his child didn't qualify because he was over income for the program. And I'm not talking just a few dollars or so.... he was over income by about $6000/month. The guy was a doctor, earning 6 figures, with just his wife & one kid, but didn't have health insurance because he had his own practice. Don't remember what it was, probably something cosmetic or specialized. But of course, he couldn't afford to buy his kid private pay insurance because they had the house payment. And the vacation house payment. And the car payments for 4 luxury cars. And the boat payment. Yeah... so nice to see that you value all of that over your child's health.... great parenting there.

So he's yelling at me. And swearing at me. And wants to know my name. And I tell him my last name is "Smith" - because in my department, we ALL had the last name of Smith. That's what it said on the determination letters, and that's what I stand by. Even Mohammed was "Mohammed Smith." And Bela was "Bela Smith."

Not good enough for this guy... he's swearing at me, and I'm not allowed to hang up. Then he wants to know our address. Unfortunately, the company at that time had some stupid idea that if they ask for our physical address, we had to give it to them, instead of just the PO Box that all of the mail went to so that people wouldn't know our address. So... I give him our address.

And he decides to show up with a baseball bat.

Jackass is out in front screaming my name and waving the bat around. Decides to go upstairs to the office and they don't let him in the door (needs to be opened by someone at the desk... we all had magnetic keys to get in) and he doesn't like that. Paces back & forth for a while because he foams himself up enough into a rage that he starts to swing at the door with the bat.

At which time, the cops show up and take him away in a shiny set of handcuffs.

And two days later, we had a security guard on site.

(The security guard didn't end up staying long... he was trying to hit on all of us women, so he got replaced by a butch female. And then eventually they ended up getting rid of the security guard altogether, deciding we didn't need one. Yeah, smart decision. NOT.)
    Last edited by Wenchie; 09-17-2010, 05:17 AM.
    "Good morning, and in case I don't see ya, good afternoon, good evening, and good night!" - The Truman Show

This doctor must specialize in Epic Failology!

Who the hell needs FOUR luxury cars when there are only TWO drivers in the family?! And all that pointless expensive crap, as well? Yet you can't be bothered to insure your only child, your own flesh and blood?! Seriously fubared priorities there.

And the address fiasco...I sure hope the company changed the policy after BatDoc showed up. When there's one loony, there are sure to be more.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

sayeth the wenchly bard:
      Don't remember what it was, probably something cosmetic or specialized. But of course, he couldn't afford to buy his kid private pay insurance because they had the house payment. And the vacation house payment. And the car payments for 4 luxury cars. And the boat payment. Yeah... so nice to see that you value all of that over your child's health.... great parenting there.
      hmm, i have the appropriate response for his 'dilemma:'

what a narcissitic dick; no priorities, just luxuries and wants a break on top of it? how does "hell no, you frickin bottom feeder!" grab ya, dr. scumsucker?

so many without health insurance because they really can't afford it and this ass believes he's in the same boat? he needs a swift kick in the ass with a hydraulic powered boot.
      look! it's ghengis khan!
      Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
        This doctor must specialize in Epic Failology!

Who the hell needs FOUR luxury cars when there are only TWO drivers in the family?! And all that pointless expensive crap, as well? Yet you can't be bothered to insure your only child, your own flesh and blood?! Seriously fubared priorities there.
        Yeah... not to get into Fratching territory here, but in my 7 1/2 years in medicaid-hell, I saw way too many things that made me question parenting and/or priorities... like the 11 year old on her second child. WTF?!?!?! Where were the parents?!?!?! Ok, end topic that will get me into trouble but yeah... priorities.

As for the cars... well, obviously they couldn't drive the same car two days in a row. And you have to make sure the car matches your outfit, because you would hate to clash!

Quoth XCashier View Post
        And the address fiasco...I sure hope the company changed the policy after BatDoc showed up. When there's one loony, there are sure to be more.
        After that, we all decided that we were only giving the PO Box no matter what corporate side. Not risking MY hide! Had enough people who were smart enough with google that they could find us if they looked hard enough that I wasn't spoonfeeding it to the rest of the population, considering the number of people who threatened violence on us... which isn't a smart thing to do anyway considering that I have your name, address, SSN, job information, etc. Not the sharpest crayon in the box, for sure.
        "Good morning, and in case I don't see ya, good afternoon, good evening, and good night!" - The Truman Show

Comment

11 year old with two children?

Please excuse me while I go faint now. I still hadn't even gotten my period yet when I was 11.
          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

of course now that he's arrested.... it means he'll be in a world of shit because he won't be pulling in his giant paycheck from behind bars

and even if/when he gets out of jail... if his patients find out that he was arrested for premeditating an attack on you... that might cost him business.

i can just see it now...
            Patient: where's Doctor Crazy? I have an appointment.
            Receptionist (assuming they'd even open with him in jail): Oh he tried to kill someone with a baseball bat. He's taking some time off...
            Patient: You know I think I left my oven on.. *flees!*

what a dumbass

Comment

A PhD and a 6 figure salary can't buy class or common sense.

Doctor Rabid Baseball bat is just another example of this.
              Fixing problems... one broken customer at a time.

Comment

This story kind of has me compelled to CCAP all the doctors I see, just to make sure none of them have, well, you know.....gone psychotic and tried to attack people.
                You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Paging Dr. Epic Fail. Man that guy has some seriously out of whack priorities !
                  I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                  Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                  Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Gotta love a time waster, especially an entitled time waster. Glad no one got hurt in that situation.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                      and even if/when he gets out of jail... if his patients find out that he was arrested for premeditating an attack on you... that might cost him business.
                      Even better. Professional organisations generally have the authority to kick people out for having criminal records. Threats of violence come under that. So basically he would then have no employable skills, because all his training would be in a field that he's not allowed to work in.

Comment

^Yep. That's what the field of psychology is like, and I imagine it's the same for whatever medical field he's in. No criminal record. And I imagine it's one thing if you have a misdemeanor somewhere on your record...but trying to attack someone with a baseball bat? Over THAT? What's that, assault or battery? Yeah, there's no getting out of that one profession-wise [and I hope he DID go to jail...for a long time!].
                        "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
                        "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
                        Amayis is my wifey

Comment

What the heck is wrong with corporate, telling you that you have to provide a physical address?

Perhaps the address you should be giving out is theirs. Let them deal with the next bat-wielding lunatic.
                          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth bardicwench View Post
                            like the 11 year old on her second child. WTF?!?!?! Where were the parents?!?!?!

that is all i can say, or end up in fratching.
                            I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

What's that, assault or battery?
                              attempted assault i think. and premeditated since he asked for the address and drove all the way out with the baseball bat the next day.

Comment

Working...
                              X