Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It is not our fault that you are dumb.

Norton Lady
    We offer a setup service for when you buy a computer, 99 for setup, 129 for norton IS included and 149 for norton 360 included.

A lot of people will get this setup as did the lady. She bought the 129 setup.

She get's home and looked at her computer and saw that she has Norton IS and not Norton 360, so she uninstalls it and comes in to complain with her receipt. My coworker and Manager both clearly explain to her that according to her receipt she was charge for Norton IS and we installed Norton IS but she starts talking about how she bought 360 (which she didn't) and I wasn't here for this conversation so I don't have all of the details.

I was filled in briefly and I then ran into her wandering through the store and she was looking at the different Nortons and started complaining about what happened earlier as soon as she mentioned she had spoken to a manager I realized who she was and basically told her that if she's already spoken to a manager about it there really isn't anything I can do about it and I leave her alone. Basically we told her that she got what she paid for and she chose to uninstall it so we wouldn't be doing anything further without charging for it.

Later I answer the cordless we carry around and it's her, I end up telling her how to go to the Norton website to access the support and download the necessary files I get off the phone quickly after sending her to the website because we are not tech support. While I'm on the phone my coworker walks next to me, I get his attention and point to the norton logo on my screen to which he gets a little upset and flips her off over the phone (nonverbally so she doesn't know).

A little while later I see my manager talking on one of the tech cordless phones, she passes it over to me telling me it's Norton lady from earlier and to not give her anymore than 5 minutes and just show her how to get to Norton live chat so they can help her. This is the last I saw/heard from her, hopefully.

Seriously you got what you paid for, uninstalled it and then expected to fix a nonexistant problem.

Idiot Printer Guy

I've only had to deal with this guy a couple times myself but it's basically listening to him whine about how he can't get his printer to work from his computer. The thing is he outright said other people have been able to get it to work and he can't. He has come in multiple times complaining about this, I gave him some advice on how to look up instructions or find help from hp as without the printer there is nothing I can do at all.

Now this past weekend I worked fri, sat, sun and saw him in 4 times through those 3 days. Our tech P had to deal with him mostly and was getting really ticked off and commented that he thinks the guy is drunk. He actually ended up bringing the printer in and P tested it and it works, in fact he may have done with the guy's laptop but I'm not sure. Basically we have told the guy he can either return the printer (and in fact extended the return date 10 days) or he can pay a $25 fee (our flat rate for 15 minutes of tech work) to be shown by our tech on how to use the printer. Basically I've spoken to him twice since then and both times it's been the exact same conversation each time, we've offered him two solutions both of which I consider fair.

Fortunately I got paged while talking to him one time for a phone call and it was a nice person who just wanted to confirm we had something.

I'm pretty sure the Norton lady is done with but the printer guy may have more parts later and I'll update if I can.
    Last edited by gremcint; 09-21-2010, 12:07 AM.
    Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
    Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

I work for the same company as Dave1982, and I find that I have to refrain daily from slapping people upside the head and telling them that they are too stupid to use anything more complicated then a crayon.
    The printer guy reminds me of the customer who in all seriousness asked me if our techs gave seminars on how to install printer cartridges. I kept it together and told him "Sorry, no" without dying of laughter. I am sure that I looked at him like he was the dumbest person alive though.

Comment

Quoth pollywog View Post
      The printer guy reminds me of the customer who in all seriousness asked me if our techs gave seminars on how to install printer cartridges.
      I find that those nice little printed sheets with 'Instructions' on the top come in really handy in situations like this.
      Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

I think I work for the same company as Dave1982 as well, the number of people calling in for technical support is astounding.

Comment

Those two SC's are prime examples of what's called a PEBKAC (for those that don't know: Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair).
          I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
          Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
          Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth tropicsgoddess View Post
            Those two SC's are prime examples of what's called a PEBKAC (for those that don't know: Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair).
            cp \dev\null \SC

Problem solved.
            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Geek: I though it was Start > Uninstall Brain

and Your printer guy, sounds like our key guy. He asked if there was a video to watch to work a hotel key.

Comment

Really? I was starting to think that only a small percentage of people were that dumb, but yet again I was proven wrong.
                Oh wook at teh widdle babeh dwaggin! How cyuuute babeh dwag-AAAAAAAUUUGGGHHHH! *nom*
                http://jennovazombie.deviantart.com

Comment

Oy vey, that woman...just....argh. Its like the clients I get who are all "ok, so I want you to put this super cool flash on my site, and make it so I can edit stuff in it."

"Sorry, no, you chose to get the cheap one"

"BBBBUUUUTTTTT NOOOOOOOO I WANT ITTTTTT! I PAID FOR IT!"

"No you cheapskate, you got the cheapo version."

"YOOUUUUU SUUUUUCK"

"....gtfo. Now."
                  By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Quoth Marmalady View Post
                    I find that those nice little printed sheets with 'Instructions' on the top come in really handy in situations like this.
                    I have yet to encounter anything that required more information that is on the sticker on the inside of the toner door, even with the monster industrial printer we picked up somewhere and then dumped because we could print for a year on an HP for what it cost to use that thing for a month. >_<

Quoth superhotelworker View Post
                    and Your printer guy, sounds like our key guy. He asked if there was a video to watch to work a hotel key.
                    It is possible that these people are the types that cannot learn without actually seeing the action performed.

I'm thankful to not be one of those. It's gotta be tough to go through life without being able to visualize simple tasks.

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                      It is possible that these people are the types that cannot learn without actually seeing the action performed.
                      It's also, in some cases, a technique for covering up illiteracy. They see written instructions, and just ask for a demo so that they don't have to deal with "it was on the instructions, didn't you read them?" (Not every case, but some of them).

Comment

Which is actually really funny when you consider most of the printers have picture instructions, and if he isn't literate enough to use a computer then why does he want a printer.

Comment

Quoth superhotelworker View Post
                          Geek: I though it was Start > Uninstall Brain
                          Wouldn't that imply that they had a brain to start with? I thought that had been proven wrong.

C.

Note: If I am missing a reference here, feel free to ignore me.
                          Nothing in this world will ever be truly idiot-proof as long as they keep making more effective idiots... -EricKei

Comment

Quoth pollywog View Post
                            The printer guy reminds me of the customer who in all seriousness asked me if our techs gave seminars on how to install printer cartridges.
                            Might not be a bad idea for some users. I think I read somewhere on this forum that somebody's customer tried to install an inkjet cartridge in backward and, when it wouldn't fit, decided to "encourage" it with a hammer.
                            I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
                            - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
                            - IPF

Comment

Working...
                            X