This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't Snap Your Fingers At Me.

First time I've ever had this happen to me...

I'm zippin' around the front line today, helping get re-shops done, hopping on register briefly to get the lines down and cover the breaks, and I'm helping keep an eye on the self-checkout registers.

Older guy on one of the SCOs is buying some wine, so I nip over there to scan my card and okay the age-check. A minute or so later I have to come back to verify one of his coupons.

Then MOD NS walks by and I ask her for the cart-pusher key so Hoss and I can get the carts done in a little bit.

As I'm coming out of the office after signing out the key, I walk past Older Guy's SCO. Next thing I know, he snaps his fingers, whistles, and goes, "Hey!"

I'm too polite to just ignore him, so I head over and find that the machine "ate his receipt." No biggie. I pull up the printer, tug out his jammed receipt-- it printed okay, just got jammed-- and hand it to him, telling him, "Next time, please don't snap your fingers and whistle to call me over," in a firm, but polite voice.

He says, "Why not? You don't like someone snappin' their fingers at you?"

"No. Because I'm not a dog. Snapping your fingers or whistling is how you call a dog."

He accepts this, then tries to make a joke out of it: "Well, you definitely shouldn't try that on a woman!"

"Exactly. But if you wouldn't do it for a woman, you shouldn't do it for a man, either."

He nodded, thanked me for my help, and left.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Ha to your pwnage! I would imagine you made him feel jsut a little bit more ashamed. We can hope, right?
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

Nicely done! :0

Comment

Very nicely done! *applauds*
        "Good morning, and in case I don't see ya, good afternoon, good evening, and good night!" - The Truman Show

Comment

An SC that can learn a lesson? Say whaaaat?

I'm glad that u spoke up and he didn't go ape shit on ya.

Comment

Way to handle the situation nicely! I'm wondering that since he was older, that his way was the way everyone did it back then, without any consideration for another person's feelings. Sadly nobody had corrected him until you did. I'm also glad it didn't escalate.

Comment

My grandma used to do that. Mum and I sat her down one day and let her know how rude it was to the people helping her to be treated by a dog. Now she just shreiks at them until they cooperate.
              Oh wook at teh widdle babeh dwaggin! How cyuuute babeh dwag-AAAAAAAUUUGGGHHHH! *nom*
              http://jennovazombie.deviantart.com

Comment

I totally agree. Everyone deserves at least basic respect. You handled that really well.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Love the pwnage! It really really really irks me when people snap their fingers at me to get my attention.
                  I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                  Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                  Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

I'd ignore him if he had done that to me, in fact I *have* done that when customers snap their fingers, whistle, or shout from halfway across the store for my attention. I am not a pet to call, and I won't acknowledge them if they do.

Although brownie points for saying something to the customer.
                    Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                      Well, you definitely shouldn't try that on a woman!"
                      "Exactly. But if you wouldn't do it for a woman, you shouldn't do it for a man, either."
                      Speak for yourself. I've managed to make women come using my fingers.
                      To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                        I'm now waiting for either Irv or Sheldon to jump into this now . . . there's still plenty of room left at the Pervfest thread.
                        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                          I've told this story before.

Heather was one of my waitstaff at the Hut of Pizza.

The male half of a yuppie couple was running her ragged.

She was just hitting the wait station when Yuppie McYupster decided he needed something else. Instead of waiting for her to get back he held his hand up high and started snapping his fingers and calling for her.

She called over her shoulder, "I'm sorry, sir, you'll need more than two fingers to make me come!"

He started to stand, probably to complain, when he noticed that his wife was laughing so hard she could hardly breathe.

This was almost twenty years ago, I'll bet she's still telling people all about it.
                          I have a map of the world. It's actual size.

-- Steven Wright

Comment

Ok I was a work yesterday and I was haveing problems with my PC. I did snap at my boss... ok he was the head boss at my work place. But I could not say I need your help was I was on the phone. He did come to my snap and as soon as I was off the phone I told me sorry I just needed your help.

Oh and just a side note there was just a simple thing wrong with my PC and he had to crole under my desk to fix it!! Yeah he is a great boss!!

Comment

Heh, when I was first promoted I was having an extremely off day. Running around being flustered and all that. When an employee needed to hand me something i snapped my fingers as a gesture to give it here.

Boy did she go off! (rightfully so) I do think i actually apologized before she managed to demand why I snapped at her.

It actually turned into a teasing game after because I felt so bad about it she knew she could bug me about it a little.
                              Fan? This is shit. Shit? Meet fan.

Comment

Working...
                              X