This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Seat Switcheroo

I haven't posted in ages because I wasn't working in any situation that really had any real gripes. Sure, the "doctor's office" I was manager of had its irritations, but I can't really gripe about my Mom like that, now can I?

So now I'm working at the Big Red Bullseye until I can find a job in my degree field (yay Costume Design!), and even then I'll likely not quit, but just move to part time. I like money, y'know?

Anyway, I was hired for a position that is a step above a cashier, but a step below a team lead. So I have responsibilities and keys and supervise people, but don't have any of that pesky power. I'll call my position <NQIC> for Not Quite in Charge.

I was the closing NQIC tonight, and my returns deesk girl went home early, so I was bouncing back and forth between the lanes and the desk. Shortly before my dinner break was due, a guy brought an Eddie Bauer car seat box up to return. He told me right off that there wasn't anything wrong with it, but that he got another one at the Mart of Wal. Fair enough, he has his receipt. I go through the return as usual and refund his money.

Can we spot what I forgot to do here? I'll give you a lemon square if you said "you forgot to check the box"!

Because I did. I didn't think to until I went to take the box off the counter and felt how light it was. Inside was a stained, stinky Evenflo car seat that was obviously ages old. No packaging, nothing. He didn't even try to pretend like it was the right seat. Sadly, by this time, he was gone. Bastard. I felt like a real ass for that oversight.

Ruined my dinner break and the normally delicious linguica stew I'd made.

Bonus suck:
    My last cashier is ringing out the last "guest" of the night and her total is $30.05. She turns to her friend, "Do you have a nickel?" and the friend shakes her head. She then turns to my cashier, "Do you have a nickel?" I'm mildly irritated at that, but let it slide. Cashier shakes her head. She then turns to me, "Do you have a nickel?"
    I smartly reply, "Yes, in my purse in my locker where it will stay. I do believe we can make change for you."
    During all of this, the woman is bouncing up against the counter and it looks like she's humping my counter. The whole thing just seemed odd to me.

I really feel like that's consider theft? Yes no? Survey says?...

Comment

Let's ask the tarot: Oh oh, seven of swords. That's the thief card.
      Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

*agrees with Kristev*
        And bonus suck: Maybe she's one of the folks with a love for inanimate objects.

Comment

Actually, you might be able to argue it's fraud, not theft. One can dream, anyway...

Comment

Fraud, theft... still a crime, and it can still be reported. They will fight back by trying to say that it was your responsability to double-check, but it is illegal (as far as I know) even to attempt such a scam, so...
            FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

You're not a unique snowflake unless you create your own mould (Raps)

***GK, Sarcastro, Lupo, LingualMonkey, BookBint, Jester, Irv, Hero & Marlowe fan***

Comment

Yeppers, attempted fraud/theft is still a crime. In any case, the EB SC effectively stole from your store, so yeah, "attempted" doesn't even apply.
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Someone did a switcheroo with a HDD at the Tesco I shop at (put a 500GB one in a 1TB box of same make, but previous model). I'm pretty sure they didn't check the box and just put it back on the shelf, and sold it to me. -_-

Got home and opened it, noticed stratches along the sides of it so I checked the serial number of it and it didn't match what was on the box, and neither did the part number. Also checked to see what was on it, they formatted it, but didn't wipe the free space so a quick run of recovery software showed 200+ files, mostly movies and tv shows. -_-

Had no problems returning the bloody thing though after showing what came in the box. ^_^

Comment

Quoth FenigDurak View Post
                  During all of this, the woman is bouncing up against the counter and it looks like she's humping my counter. The whole thing just seemed odd to me.
                  You met GK's horny sorority chick! What are the odds?
                  What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth alcaholjunkie View Post
                    Had no problems returning the bloody thing though after showing what came in the box. ^_^
                    Lucky you. I got the 3rd degree when I tried to return a 'not even close to a ATI' video card.

Comment

seems to me that was a professional scammer/fraudster... he waited till close because most people will do anything just to get done and out of there.

bouncy lady, I've had a few oddballs who like to stay as far as possible from the counter, then jump forward with the cash, bounce back.. jump in for change and back... really weird, I don't smell do I??
                      It's a tough row to hoe, and I'm just the Joe to hoe it.

Comment

That first scammer was a Grade A+ a-hole.

The second lady irritates me about the five cents. Why should I, or any other cashier, give a strange customer money? (Don't answer that Sheldons). Retail workers don't make big bucks and while it's only five cents, I'd argue that the lady could simply put something back instead of panhandling in the store. And for the customers who beg for handouts because they don't like breaking larger bills? Grrr.
                        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

You have car-seat-guy's information, right? For the return?

Can you call the police in on it?

Just wondering.
                          Teach a SC to fish... and they will whine about you not catching, filleting, frying, and serving it up on a silver platter for them. - EvilEmpryss

Comment

Quoth TheMike View Post
                            bouncy lady, I've had a few oddballs who like to stay as far as possible from the counter, then jump forward with the cash, bounce back.. jump in for change and back... really weird, I don't smell do I??
                            Well, I don't smell anything. I think they're just weird.
                            Each one of us has a special place just like the Evergreen Forest. Enchanting, sparkling, and perfect. And, like the flowers that bloom there... fragile.

Comment

Quoth OfficeSlug View Post
                              You have car-seat-guy's information, right? For the return?

Can you call the police in on it?

Just wondering.
                              Nope. He paid cash. We do have his picture from the cameras though.

Comment

Working...
                              X