This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did you not hear me?

So I'm new here, but i've worked in the retail/customer service business for over 3 years.

I'm a bartendar/hostess/server/buser for a local Red Lobster.

Part of my duties as all are to answer the phone when we aren't busy/I'm close by. We've had several weird calls...and I want to tell you about two of them I can best remember.

Me: Thank you for calling *my location* Red Lobster, this is Surreal speaking, how may i help you?
    Lady: Yes, my phone has been acting up as of late, and i would like to get a refund, new phone, or something in compensation since I just bought it a week ago.
    Me: Pardon?
    Lady: I'm sorry, i must have spoken too fast. My phone has been acting up as of late, and i just bought it. Is there anything you can do.
    Me: Ma'me, i'm sorry but this is Red Lobster.
    Lady: Wait, what? You're not AT&T?
    Me: No ma'me, this is Red Lobster.
    Lady: Do you know the number for it?
    Me: Ummm..no, i'm sorry i do not.
    Lady: oh, ok bye.
    Me: Thank you for calling...

Me: Thank you for calling *my location* Red Lobster, This is Surreal speaking, How may i help you?
    Guy: Yes, i'd like to buy a Lobster.
    Me: Sure! Would you like the main tale meal, or the Live Lobster.
    Guy: Live lobster.
    Me: ok sure, how would you like that cooked.
    Guy: Oh no, i don't want it cooked. I want to buy it as a pet for my son. I told him i'd get him on for Christmas.
    Me: I'm sorry sure, but we can not sell you an a-live lobster. It has to be properly cooked.
    Guy: i'll give you $5 if you do.
    Me: i'm sorry sir, but i can't sell you an un-cooked lobster.
    Guy: Ok, i'll give you $10, but that's as far as i'll go.
    Me: Sir. My job is worth more than you $10 or any amount you could produce. We will not sell you an un-cooked lobster for legal reasons. Now sir, if you would like a Live lobster meal, i would be glad to get that ready for you.
    GUy: *click*
    Me: What a prick...

I also had a similar insident with an elderly man and women who came in to buy a live lobster to take home and make themselves. As it's stated above, we are not legally allowed to sell any un-cooked food because we could potentially cause food poisoning or another illness and that would be very VERY bad.

They proceeded to tell me that they knew how to cook a lobster and that they've been around the block for a good while. I assured them I believed them, but if i were to allow them to buy a live lobster, i'd lose my job.

Some people just wont take no for an answer the first time...
    I can only please one person a day, today isn't your day, and tomorrow doesn't look good either.

When someone asks you a stupid question, give them a stupid answer.

Welcome to the threads! Your sucky customer experience stories are more than welcome here.

As far as that old couple, perhaps they thought they were at a grocery store where they could buy lobster, or thought they could get away with thinking that they were. Sheesh..

Comment

Have people not heard of grocery stores?

to

Comment

I got to help the Meijers guy move the live lobsters once when I was younger. They were cleaning the tank and he asked me if I could put them in these plastic boxes while he handed them to me. It was so cool, I wanted a pet one for a while.

But really, Red Lobster=/=pet store. I mean, let's go to the store known for cooking the exact thing we want to buy live as a pet!

HI, Hello, and Welcome to Customers Suck! You'll need these *hands safety goggles and those really huge scientist gloves*
        Oh wook at teh widdle babeh dwaggin! How cyuuute babeh dwag-AAAAAAAUUUGGGHHHH! *nom*
        http://jennovazombie.deviantart.com

Comment

My dad & I used to have lobster races with lobsters that we bought from Meijer...

And to !
          "Good morning, and in case I don't see ya, good afternoon, good evening, and good night!" - The Truman Show

Comment

I need to find the pictures of me 'kissing' a lobster and the duels some of them had... not over me!
            "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
            "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Dreadful. Completely dreadful.
              Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Thank you all for the warm welcome, and i apologize for some of the grammatical errors/misspellings. I have dyslexia, and i do my best to not show it, but it happens.

it doesn't help that i learned how to type on my own and i don't use the correct fingers half the time...or that i type faster than most ppl i know..ANYWAY

Yea, i have plent more, but it's a matter of thinking back and trying to remember them all. After 3.5 years of working there and having things repeat several times, you tend to get used to it and just ignore most of it.

I pride myself on being able to keep myself professional at all times when dealing with customers. But sometimes i just want to shove their heads in places that aren't nice.
                I can only please one person a day, today isn't your day, and tomorrow doesn't look good either.

When someone asks you a stupid question, give them a stupid answer.

Comment

welcome.

wow, have these people not heard of grocery stores or if you live near the ocean, canneries/boats?

would these same people ask for live shrimp/squid/octopus? i'm thinking yes...
                  look! it's ghengis khan!
                  Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

I totally want a pet squid or octopus! But I wouldn't call Red lobster to get one...
                    Oh wook at teh widdle babeh dwaggin! How cyuuute babeh dwag-AAAAAAAUUUGGGHHHH! *nom*
                    http://jennovazombie.deviantart.com

Comment

Buying a lobster PET? That just sounds fishy to me. I think I sea what he did there...

Even I can see why you can't sell live lobsters though, they really need to just get it through their heads that its a claws in their contract. -.-

Welcome to Customers Suck as well, you'll have a shell of a time here.
                      By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
                        Buying a lobster PET? That just sounds fishy to me. I think I sea what he did there...

Even I can see why you can't sell live lobsters though, they really need to just get it through their heads that its a claws in their contract. -.-

Welcome to Customers Suck as well, you'll have a shell of a time here.
                        IF you can survive the paranomasiacs!
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Why the hell would anyone want a lobster for a pet?! That is so weird.

Comment

"I'm sorry sir, we have a special arrangement with Petco. We don't sell our lobsters as pets and they don't serve fried iguanna to people looking to buy a parakeet for the grandparents. I know, business arrangements like these really suck when we don't take the needs of the individual customer in mind, but you know how policy goes."

Welcome to the boards.

Don't worry about grammar errors, just be yourself and get it off your chest. That's what we're here for.

Comment

Oh they heard you, but, see, you didn't give them the answer they wanted. So that's why they asked again, and again, and again, and again, see, it's like a slot machine. You've got to pay off SOMETIME!
                              - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X