This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manager Authorized Pwnage

I dealt with a cantankerous old man today who was looking to buy 6 packages of to/from shipping labels.

He wanted a discount for "buying in bulk" and because he "spends a lot of money with us."

In between his repeated requests for a discount, he kept babbling about how he "always" gets one and was trying to butter my bread with phony complements about the service here, etc. But his tone and demanding attitude were wearing thin on me.

I looked up the item online to see if there was a discount available that I could match (sometimes there's a "buy 3 or more" price). This particular SKU wasn't available online.

He keeps demanding his "usual" discount but can't tell me what it's supposed to be, even though he allegedly buys the times "all the time."

So I went and spoke with Amy. She had me get his rewards number and last name, and we used that info to look up his purchase history.

Well, what a surprise....he hasn't bought any of these labels on over 6 months.

She then went into the register journal and put in the SKU for the labels, his rewards number, and the date and was able to produce the receipt for the last time he bought them.

And wouldn't you know it, they were rung in at FULL PRICE. Now, he did have a coupon at the time, but that's an entirely separate matter. She printed out a copy of the receipt, gave it to me, and told me to tell him that he hasn't gotten a discount on them before and won't be getting one now.

At first I didn't like that since it meant I'd have to deal with the inevitable backlash, but then it dawned on me that she'd just given me permission to effectively tell him to go screw.

Me: Well sir, we looked up your receipt from the last time you bought these.

SC: So what kind of discount are you gonna give me?

Me: Well, last time you bought them you paid full price, less the coupon you had at the time. I'm afraid that since there's no precedent for giving a discount we can't give one now.

SC: SO YOU AREN'T GONAN GIVE ME ANYTHING?!?! I SPEND A LOT OF MONEY HERE!!!!!

(Not according to your purchase history you don't....)

Me: Well since you didn't get one before there's nothign we can do.

SC: Then I'll only get two! You can put the rest away!

On his way out he said "I guess I'll let you ROB ME this one time!!"

Oh yes, because $5.29 for a pack of 50 shipping labels is a horrible rip-off......goodbye....
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

SC's getting pwned brings me joy!
    I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
    Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
    Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

I know the feeling where you love telling someone that they can't get their way, but at the same time you're afraid of how they'll react with you. Way to go though...

Geez, I hate people that try to always get the last word. Although I would have gotten in trouble, I would have said, "I guess we'll be robbing you in another 6 months from now.."

Comment

Quoth emax4 View Post
        I know the feeling where you love telling someone that they can't get their way, but at the same time you're afraid of how they'll react with you. Way to go though...
        Yeah, really. I'm not used to confrontation, so I was nervous but still excited when I got a call that I knew I would have to terminate because the cust was abusive and threatening legal action (so we grunts couldn't represent the company anymore). It was fun getting to tell her we can no longer help her and hanging up on her as she yelled HEY at me, but I was rather shakey.

Comment

I've had a situation just like this. A customer comes in to make a reservation for a future date. He asks if he can get the price we usually give him. $59.99 according to him. I ask for his first and last name.

Me: OK I found your previous reservations and I would be happy to match the price you had last time. The price was $69.99 per night.
          SC: Are you sure?
          Me: Yep, and I can even print out a copy of the previous reservations if you still have doubts.

They declined the printout, but they took the room for $69.99
          To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

That was a great story. I admit I would have tried messing with him a little more, though, with something like, "Okay, we can sell these to you for the same price you paid last time, minus the coupon of course because that's no longer valid."

Who knows? He might have been just dumb enough to go along with it, not realizing that he was paying full price, just like before.

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
            He wanted a discount for "buying in bulk" and because he "spends a lot of money with us."
            [sarcasm] You know, I just realized something. I spend a lot of money at the grocery store down the street... I visit them every week... And I frequently buy multiples of some items. Why, just the other day, I bought not one or two but a whole bag of grapes! I'll be sure to demand my bulk discount next time. [/sarcasm]

Six packages of labels is not bulk.
            I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
            - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
            - IPF

Comment

Quoth HawaiianShirts View Post
              Six packages of labels is not bulk.
              *dingdingding* You are correct, sah.

Sixty packs? Probably bulk, unless one case contains more than that. A couple hundy? Yeah, definitely. Six? Retail.
              Last edited by EricKei; 09-25-2010, 01:10 AM. Reason: what is it with me and inappropriate questions marks lately???????????
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
              X