This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cashback Dumbassery

This happened last weekend, and it seemed like all my customers this day had been beaten with a stupid stick. Older lady comes to my checkout, and seems sweet enough, until . . . you know how it goes. She pulls out a debit card and says "I want you to put $25 on this."

I'm confused. "Twenty five on that, are you sure?"

SC: "YES. I've done it lots of times before here, they never gave me any trouble."

At this point I realize she wants cash back on a purchase, and politely explain that we can only do that in multiples of twenty, so she'll either have to get twenty or forty, and that she can choose which amount on the debit reader when she slides the card. I scan her items, hit the debit key. Uh oh! No cash back was chosen. Now she takes on the "You're an idiot" tone with me and wants to know where the $25 is. I explain that she can only get money back on a purchase and that she should have chosen cash back when the debit pad gave her that option. She said it didn't. Lather, rinse, repeat. I know for a fact you have to either answer yes or no to cash back before the system will print a receipt. After having a circular conversation twice, she demands to speak to a manager. Fine. I shut off my light and went to find one, since there was no way I was going to stand there and get berated while I waited on someone, and I wanted to explain my side of the story. Found two CSMs and explained my dilemma, and K steps out from behind the podium and starts walking with me, and says:

"I'm gonna stab this woman in the neck with a pencil."

Me: "Okay! Do you want me to look away?"

K: "No. As a matter of fact I'm gonna drag her right up under the security camera first."

We get back to the register and he tells her, almost word for word, the same thing I did. She finally gets a pack of gum and K then has to walk her through every. Single. Step. of the process of doing this. She has to do her PIN twice because she entered it wrong the first time, and he has to remind her of this three times while she stands there waiting for her cash back. She then swears that she's "Never coming through THIS line again!" and it's clear by now that she thinks K is as stupid as she thinks I am. K is just standing there across from me, looking me right in the eye and shaking his head. We can only hope to God she keeps her promise to never deal with either of us again.

She finally leaves, and K walks away after sharing this story with another cashier, turns and looks at me and says "You're doing a good job, Shiny. A really good job. Keep up the good work."

Seriously, I was pissed to the point of crying angry tears until he popped out and started with his shenanigans.
    The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

LMAO "I'm gonna stab her in the neck with a pencil."
    K sounds like me! I think I like him. LOL
    And don't let people make you cry. Stupid people really really aren't worth it sweets.

Comment

Well, I'm just one of those people that will start crying when they're angry. Which was making me lose my cool even more because this is my second stint with Volde-Mart, and I've gotten SO much more laid back and relaxed about SC behavior, and gotten really good at just letting things roll off me. I was just concerned she'd somehow turn it around to make me look like a fool, but thankfully the CSMs saw things rationally. Another CSM actually begged K to go help me deal with it because she already had a tremendous headache

But yeah, then he said he was gonna stab the SC and everything from then on out was hilarious.

Comment

Those debit machines do seem to provide a lot of confusion for anyone with an IQ slightly higher than their combined shoe sizes.

Comment

Quoth NateTheChops View Post
          Those debit machines do seem to provide a lot of confusion for anyone with an IQ slightly lower than their combined shoe sizes.

seems more accurate my way.

Comment

This is why I am so glad that where I work, it's not down to the customer to hit a button choosing cash back - the question appears on our screens and we ask if they want it. So they can't say they never got that option.

Of course, we still have to be careful not to be too quick to hit the 'No' button - the amount of times I've had something like this (happened yesterday).....

Me : Would you like any cash back today?
            Csutomer: Noooooo...................give me twenty pounds please.
            Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Yep, I love that too. Except they're still so thick about it. You can get cashback in multiples of 10, up to 100.

Customer: Right, so that comes to €73, so to round it off to €100 I'll have €27 back.
              Me: Sorry it has to be in multiples of 10-
              Customer: No, I want €27
              Me: I'm not actually able to give you €27. It has to be either €20 or €30, sorry.
              Customer: This is ridiculous. I WANT €27. Put it through
              Me: I can't out it through, the till only allows it in multiples of €10
              Customer: blah blah blah RANT FINE I WON'T HAVE ANY CASHBACK!

Oh no! But then an odd number will appear on your statement! How will you cope?!

Or the people who demand €100 when the shop has just opened/start of shift when you have €40 in notes. GO AWAY. Glaring at me because I don't physically have the notes, I am not hiding them on you, aresehole.

Cashback is evil and should be limited to €50.

Comment

K is awesome! Can we clone him? And, is he single?
                "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                  I agree 100%.

Lots of cloned Ks.

With these:
                  "Good morning, and in case I don't see ya, good afternoon, good evening, and good night!" - The Truman Show

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                    Oh, trust me, you don't want to clone this man. While he does provide these amusing little quirks to my day, he can also be fairly pretentious, unresponsive, and annoying. And nah, not single. He's married with 7 kids

He just about killed me later the same day though. I ordered some fives and when he showed up with them and held his money bag open for me to give him the $100 bill, he moved the bag open and closed like a mouth and went "OMM nomnomnomnomnom!" I'm sure the customer I was waiting on at the time thought I was insane.

Comment

Quoth ShinyGreenApple View Post
                      Volde-Mart
                      *snort*

*snerk*

"For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

This is one of the reasons why I am glad my store doesn't offer cash back, although I have gotten several idiots that keep canceling their debit cards because it never asked them for cash back. Even after they were told that, no, you have to go to the big smiley face store across the street to do that, they still ask for the cash back option. I can't do, I won't do it, sorry.
                        Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Working...
                        X